question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DAWAS, Aug 27, 2001.

1. DAWAS

DAWAS Valued Member

i have a question for everyone is the black belt the b all and end all your martial arts if you where told you could carry on training but not ever grade for you dan would you still train?is the belt system what keeps you going or the love of your art?:yeleyes:

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Supporting your trousers.

Acheiving your Black Belt means different things to different people.

Many chinese styles have no grading system. The grading system is largely a conformity to Western mentality. One should respect the knowledge of the individual, not the colour of the sash.

Many Black Belts exist on Paper, but not all of them can fight, teach or show true spiritual depth. There are many people who don't wear a belt, but have 'walked the walk', just ask 'Cooler'.

Acheiving a Black Belt depends mainly on three factors!

1/ The depth of the style practiced, i.e. How much is there to learn?

2/ The quality of practice accepted by that styles examining board.

3/ The amount of dedication applied by the student within that style.

Personally, I believe that passing your Black Belt, though a great experience, only means that you have passed the Beginners Course. The learning experience should never stop.

Some people get caught up in what I call Black Belt mentality. Puffed up and full of self-esteem, one loses the ability of the open mind, and the capacity to learn.

Belts only cost a few quid to buy. What means the most to you???

3. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

I'm not so sure Black Belt status has the same status that it may have done in the past. As Andy say
    With some Uni class claiming you can be a Blackbelt by the end of your course I'm really not that impressed by someone saying they have a Black Belt. So for me I'd say it's more the Beginning of actually learning rather than the end.

4. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

I whole heartedly agree with Andy on this one. Martial Arts is not about what belt you are but about growth as a person. Whether you are a white belt or a black belt your main aim in the martial arts should be about wanting to learn, to better yourself.

Cooler.

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Personally, I've never even considered getting a black belt or instructorship. I've got 2 of them and will have a third within a year ... but that's never been my goal.

My single goal in training is and always will be: "To be the best I can at any given moment." I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. If a "black belt" were my goal, I'd have quit training in '98. I don't care what my rank is ... if I don't feel that I'm doing my best then I work harder. If I feel I am doing my best then I'm happy with myself.

I train for the sake of training. Martial arts training is a large part of my life ... my rank in martial arts has no impact on my life except that I *love* teaching and helping other people find the same kinds of benefits I have found. But if that were my only goal, then I would have stopped training in new things and would only be teaching now. I'm always looking for something new to learn or a new way to look at something old or a better way to teach something I know. For me, it's just a love of learning and sharing in the martial arts.

Mike

6. waya

waya Valued Member

Easy question to answer..... You can take away my belt, or everything I own, but you can't take away what I know. I would continue training without the belt, or even if it was outlawed. It should be all about learning and being a better person and more competent when it comes to self defense, not the fast money scheme and satus symbol the arts have become in many places.

Rob

7. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

If you are in martial arts just to get your black belt then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Cooler

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I have heard the expression 'empty your cup' many times. I would summarise my earlier reply to the question by saying. If you feel you now know it all, because you have a Black Belt, then your cup is full. If your cup is full, it can hold no more liquid. If your own cup is full, then empty it and start again! Simple.

9. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

I've met quite a few 'Black Belts' that I do not respect. I've also met many low grade students that have impressed me immensely with their skills. A lot depends on the quality of the teacher and of the student.

I tend to agree with Andy that achieving a Black Belt is just the start of learning about martial arts.

Hi to Andy BTW. Glad you are still instructing

James

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Well if you think it is then I feel you, or your sensei/sifu/coach has completely missed the point. Whatever happened to teaching discipline, respect and confidence? We aren't just teaching physical techniques, the martial arts (if fully embraced) isn't something we do, its something we are.

Freeform

11. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

As most have said in here, there are a lot of fake black belts. There are schools here that promote themselves by saying come to us, earn your back belt in a little over a year. We tell our students that, YES by going over there you can be a back belt in a year, but what do you have? Words on a sheet of paper that means nothing unless you have the knowledge to back it up. Its not about the color of your belt, its what’s in your mind, heart, and soul. We hardly ever tell our students, we want you to become a black belt. We tell them we what to see you become the best martial artist that you can be, getting you black belt is just a bonus. But don’t get me wrong, we take getting your back belts seriously like a lot of school do and ALL should. Our black belts must know everything that they have been taught, be it forms, one-steps, history, or terminology. Then they must show the attitude of a proper black belt. Humility and Respect to everyone and all ranks… You may be a black belt but there is a white belt what we all can learn something from. If for some reason my style was to cut out our belts, ide still stay with it. My honor as a black belt in more in my heart and soul & blood sweat and tears than around my waist.:cool:

12. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

My opinion would be the love of art. The belt may give me courage but the art overrules the belt.

13. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

when i studied taekwondo in high school, it was a very small class. one of the men who helped with instruction was a blue belt, and often he would show one of the black belts things. i found this very odd. then i found out why. he had been studying taekwondo for 18 years!!!! first with an ITF club, and now with the WTF club. before i moved away, i asked him about that and he said " i dunno, i don't really think i am ready to move up. besides it doesn't mean much, i just enjoy coming here and training."
    The words of a true martial artist.
    Unfortunatly, when newcomers came to class, as i was the closest in rank under him, i was the guinea pig!

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"belts. There are schools here that promote themselves by saying come to us, earn your back belt in a little over a year. "

yeas is too much i hav seen one guy talkin about 6 months...
    i should hav went in for him ;) i would be 12 dan master by now :D :p
    i m yellow from last 3 yrs...before 3 yrs no Belt system in MT
    now again no Belts in Tai chi...guess i hav to live without Black Belt...:(
    but i like the one which i wear with my trousers n jeans...and yup it hav meaning.... u know wat ;) :D
    -TkdWarrior-

15. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Belts

It makes no odds to me the colour of my belt - If I go to train in another style I will put on a white belt and I dont feel worse for it.

The belt is just there for people to know they have the right to hit me hard! If the belt is white I know to take it easy and ensure the instruction I give is clear.

In my experience my belt is there for people to grab and throw me with not a "big up" for me. Its just tradition and I am not a traditional person!

SONSHU

16. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Though I don't own any belts, because my training didn't require them, I know that a black belt isn't the end at all. It is just like the begining. Once you have obtained a black belt, you should not stop, but aim higher. Also, just because a person has a black belt means nothing. I know some people with black belts who are really sorry. It really doesn't make anysense. People must realize that its not a black belt or a belt of any color that makes a martial artist or a fighter or anything. It is what you have obtained, not as an outward appearence only, but an inside change. All of you have made some very good points, and I agree. A black belt means different things to different people, but what ever it means, it should never mean the end. For a martial artist learning never stops.