Question to who believes

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Light_bringer77, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

Hey there...

I'm new to martial arts but they always interested me for the unexplained side. I know there are many threads about "ki" or anything such where those who don't believe try to explain what they don't even believe to be by science.

So I would like to ask to those who practise any form of art or whatever you could call it how this energy or anything feels to them and what it can do to them.

I have heard and seen way too much things about no touch KO and many other things, but I would like to hear from those who really use or pratcise or whatever realated to such energy, not from someone who heard of somebody telling about a guy that made incredible things, only what you guys do.

Thanks forth and please if you don't believe don't bother telling me this ain't true, because I am not asking you, but if you really cannot control yourself in imposing your way of thinking.... can't forbid you to!

Anyway this is getting long to write...
    Thanks again to those who will write their true words...:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  2. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

I use and...

...practice the internal martial arts. Utilizing internal energy in the correct way is a large part of of the training. It is too difficult to try to describe what's happening online. I would need to work with you in person. I posted something on a different forum. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Have a great day.

Marty

3. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

Hello:

I found my post. Here it is for you.

As an instructor, I have been asked many times what chi is. I've heard it simply explained that it is the air we breathe in to some mystical force.

I don't think that it is anything mystical.

I believe it is more than an electrical energy, more than part of the body's magnetic field, more than breathe, more than just the physics of a persons body, more than a persons intent, spirit or energy, more than tension or relaxing a muscle or groups of muscles, and more than the blood flowing to or away from a certain area. I believe it is aspects of each of these... at times more in one area than others depending on the situation, or even the technique or position in practice.

I believe the term chi has been overused by some to sound like someone knows what they're talking about when they don't, or they don't have any other way of explaining what is going on.

I can feel my chi. I can sense the flow of chi in others. It is difficult to explain or define, but with experience I believe it can be recognized, and refined. Some of my students can sense it as well. At times I use it as a guide to determine if a students technique is correctly done. There really isn't any simple way to describe what is happening in words. But, time and experience can clarify what it is.

I don't know if this helps or if you find this babble.
    Normally, in my classes we don't really speak of chi, rather, we use the term energy. This tends to de-mystify what is going on.

Marty

4. Kat

Kat Valued Member

This may not be the answer you require,but I feel you should get some experience in/with massage, Acupunture,medative practices.Don't allow others to tell you what you should feel just do, and see what comes of it.
    Personally, Medative practices have effected many areas of my life.In a large generallity I would say it has helped with Focus and Health.

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

If you look more deeply into previous threads in this forum, you'll find a lot of information. That would be better than re-writing old opinions.

The internal arts are about knowing your body and controlling your internal health through concentrating on your breathing, your posture, and breaking your movements down to the minute detail. Whether it's chi or something more mundane, it doesn't really matter. If you increase your coordination and balance in your body by internal arts or something like pilates or yoga, it is bound to have an effect. You will be more awake and refreshed, you will suffer less illness than before, and you will 'know' your body.

The internal arts teach you to ground yourself and use the whole body to perform any movement. Whether it's a step or a punch, the whole body moves (so instead of issuing the power of your shoulder and arm muscles in a push or a strike, you are issuing the power of the ground and the larger muscle groups of your legs and waist). This gives you much more strength and power than people would expect, and has given rise to explanations that some masters have supernatural powers. Some people would argue that they actually do, but it is undisputable that much of their power comes from 'simply' (well, it's not so simple...) their mastery of their own body mechanics.

6. dashao

dashao New Member

what it feels like to me would be a tingly sort of feeling which is also warm sort of electrical(i am terrible at describing as you can see)

if you want to feel it why not do a couple of tai chi classes ?
    could be worth a look.

7. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Love your signature message !

From the Tao Te Ching, I have often found so much useful wisdom that are directly applicable tothe Internal Martial Arts.

:)

8. Princess

Princess New Member

wow...you learn new things and relearn old things everyday... thanks Light_bringer for that wisdom! (hugs) I gotta write that time somewhere to remember...

(smiles)... This Princess.

9. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

o" I would like to ask to those who practise any form of art or whatever you could call it how this energy or anything feels to them and what it can do to them."

I use it to control people. Like Darth Vader. Didn't you ever wonder where George Lucas got the idea from?

That is the point of martial arts practice. You don't fight them. You control them like a puppet. Make them give you money, make them buy things from you, make them have sex with you.

Spooky huh?

;)

10. Princess

Princess New Member

That isn't spooky, that's sick and disgusting.

11. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Its hot feeling, in my hands anyway. Ive used it to instantly take away pain from small cuts, bruises, burns, etc. Or for a sort of powerup, feels like it is energizing you.

12. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Let me just start by saying I love the concept of chi or ki or whatever. But personally, I cannot bring myself to believe there is a mystical power that can knock someone out without even touching them. If you swear up and down that it works, thats awesome, I'm totally glad that it works... for you. But I definately prefer the knuckles to face approach...But hey to each their own.

13. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

There is nothing mystical about naturally occuring energy in the body. And although ive never knocked anyone out with just ki, or ever seen anyone do it, it is possible.

14. Princess

Princess New Member

It's okay, I haven't knock anyone out with my energy too... (neither would I want to in the first place.)

15. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I'm going to preface this by saying that nobody really knows what qi is, mostly because our science isn't advanced enough to explain it. Really any argument that's going to be used on this thread has been used before on previous threads and eventually you'll get the trolls and it'll degenerate into a waste of time. With that said, here's a basic (if not simple) theory that I'm sticking with based on several months worth of inconclusive research.
    (WARNING: complicated physics ahead--I'll try to keep it as simple as possible)

The argument that qi is bioelectricity or biomagnetics is wrong, simply because only living things have bioelectricity and there is qi in things that aren't living, such as rocks. Therefore whatever qi is must be related to forces that are beyond bioelectricity, like gravitational or nuclear forces. Qi itself is energy manifested in a way that science can't yet measure. You can see its effects, but you can't establish why they work. It is my personal belief that qi stems from the yet-uncompleted unified field theory which states (among other things) that all the forces of the the universe can be described in one related system and can be represented by a single "field." So when a person manipulates qi they are using bioelectricity (the part they can control) but they are using that electromagnetic force to affect different types of energy as well (since they're all interconnected).

I think I'll leave it at that for fear of confusing (more likely boring) people any more.

16. gerard

gerard Valued Member

I hope this link will close definitively this thread

http://www.emergentmind.org/chen.htm

And addressing LB's question I feel "qi" as either a wave when I meditate in the horse stance and as ants running on my skin after just 5 minutes of practice. The wave feeling starts around the 15 minute mark.

What qi has done to me is protecting me from cuts, burns, minor blows dramatic strengthening of the immune system, better and less sleep, increased libido :cry: (which I don't like since I am celibe), less food, improved gastric functions being more rooted to mother Earth, improved concentration, intuition, mental clarity and other side effects that I have already discussed in a different thread. Actually and getting back to the food question: if you pack yourself with qi and live in a natural environment you can entirely give up food, become a breatharian (bigu). But you need to learn how to absorb energy from qi and live of it (a master's guidance is a must here or you can seriously hurt yourself). Water would be needed though.

My master guides qi with his mind at will. He's been practising for 33 years. I have been practising Qigong for around 2 only. Just a beginner.

Fu.