Question regarding the naming of individuals moves/sequences inside Kata

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Matt_Bernius, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Hey all,

I having been able to find a definative answer on this (if one even exists). In your systems Kata (note I'm specifically interest in Karate forms), are individual moves (or move sequences) individual named?

For example in Tai Chi (and many other Chinese Martial Arts) every movement grouping (or technique) is named (ex. Snake Creeps Down, Needle at Sea Bottom).

One request, in responses can you list the style of Karate you practice? Thanks,

- Matt

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi Matt,

I'm a little unclear on what you mean. Each technique is given a functional name (i.e. "gyaku tsuki" - "reverse punch", "yoko geri" - "side kick") and the kata as a whole is named, usually in a more "interpretative" way (e.g. Empi - "swallow flight"). But the combinations that form the kata aren't named in my experience. I believe Kenpo does more of the "deer chases the weasel" type naming.

I've done Wado Ryu and Shotokan and have never come across naming sub-sets of the kata differently to the kata as a whole.

Hope this is helpful.

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

It is, and it seems to confirm what I've been trying to find. The Kenpo approach is close to what I'm looking for information about.

- Matt