Question on Terry Wingrove

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well now you know.

They are old schools that have survived due to certain practices, some are more relaxed than others but some are very strict in their entry and conduct requirements.

Although "cult" is rather distasteful, in someways it's probably not far off.

Koryu are specific institutions, organisations. As soon as someone says "this is koryu" then the question they will be asked is "which ryu?".

A ryu is very specific, each one has it's own outlook, practices, traditions and even terminology.

Koryu maybe an umbrella term but they are very rarely discussed in general terms because you are more often than not always talking about a specific school.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think we were approaching that sentence from different angles.

I was looking at it from the perspective that the most important criteria for any MA should be 'does this work' not 'where does this come from'. As I understand it you and Gary meant that only something of a particular lineage (and limited to that lineage) can be called a koryu.

3. Dean Winchester

They are layered systems, with things being disclosed as you progress and as you earn trust.

Things are sometimes deliberately hidden. So you might well be doing one thing but you don't get told the actual reason for it until latter or it's changed.

A good example might be targeting as in something like Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu or look at how some schools perform embu. Things will be deliberately altered.

With that in mind how does that bode for someone teaching it to others?

Actually IIRC the heads of the various koryu are in fact legal owners, in Japan, of their teachings. Now of course a wrist lock is a wrist lock but the strategies and concepts behind it's delivery may well be specific to a certain school.

So where does that lock become the lock from that ryu and where does it, for example, end up being a poor Aikido kote gaeshi?

Can you say for certain what you are delivering is from a koryu? Can you be certain it is true to its source?

This is the thing. Waza are there across the board so where can you say "I teach this from x-ryu"? If you aren't sticking to the teachings of that school?

It doesn't have it's origins in it, the origins could well be the misguided understanding in your head. Again due to how many of these schools function.

Indeed.

4. Dean Winchester

Exactly.

Two completely different arguments.

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Shinti? Is that a celtic art? :)

A good point.

6. Dean Winchester

Damn it. :D

Bloody autocorrect.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

But the fact (and I do mean fact) is that the word in Japanese is an umbrella term. If Macko had identified a specific school in his post, you would be justified in asking him to elaborate on his meaning, but he didn't, he used the umbrella term.

8. Dean Winchester

Takamatsuden would be a good example, multiple ryu all very closely linked yet each one with its own flavour.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

It's not an umbrella term.

I don't know where you got that from!

10. holyheadjch

The japanese language.

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Wikipedia? :Angel:

12. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

When referring to a particular tradition it is (or should be) very specific.

13. Dean Winchester

He followed it up with mention of what is being taught is "aki-jitsu based, daito-ryu syllabus.".

That's specific enough and what promoted my initial post and follow up to Gary's question.

14. holyheadjch

Which isn't a koryu. So is your argument that you can't teach old style techniques with new style techniques? Because that would blow my mind.

15. Dean Winchester

Me.

I defined it as such because it covers certain combative traditions predating 1868.

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Well let's all praise the lord for the sensei that is wikipedia!

17. Dean Winchester

No that's not my argument.

My point was that it's not koryu.

He mentioned what the system was, I pointed out it's not koryu.

My other points were that if you are claiming to teach a koryu or something from one, then you need to be able to show it because of how they function.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Of nothing, ever.

What? :D

Mitch

19. Dean Winchester

Indeed.

Which is why I pointed out that the discussion always come down to "which ryu?".

20. Dean Winchester

Mitch for President.