Question on hyperthreading and connection speeds

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cain, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Hyeperthreading - What's that? I heard it's on P4 but not on all versions. Is it the equivalent of the AMD 64 bit processor?

On connection speeds while I am drooling at everyone's connection speeds of 512k and 1 MBPS it it kilobytes/megabytes or kilobits/megabits?

The reason I ask is there's news to a 100 MBPS connections coming in some places with prices of 70$ per month :eek:

|Cain|

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Hyper threading is when the processor operates like two seperate processors. Only XP professional (to my knowledge) is capable of using it. YOur chip and your MOBO must both be capable of using HT.....it basically allows your machine to run quicker doing more than one function.

see here for more info.

http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx GG gotta see if it's in AMD too ;)

Cheers,

|Cain|

4. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Hyperthreading is possible due to the P4's huge (20 stage) pipeline. It basically allows more than one operation to be in the pipeline at the same time. It can work with NT4 / 2000 / XP which will see it as two processors.

Some applications work faster with it - some actually work slower so would recommend benchmarking your favorite apps to see if it makes a difference.

AMD64 does not provide hyperthreading, but has many other advantages.

5. hongkongfuey

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehehe, yep so far AMD rules, though Intel has got the market :(

|Cain|

7. khafra

khafra New Member

You certainly pay quite a bit for the ruleage of the 64 processors, though, especially the FX--and this when the P4 is more overclockable, according to Tom's Hardware. And there isn't much that can take advantage of the 64 bits yet--although games optimized for it can't be too long in coming.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Romour's there that the 64 bit version of windows longhorn is in development....who knows......the 64 bit generation is'nt very far away...

|Cain|

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have a T2 connection at work, its so fast I'm at the site BEFORE I click on the link....:D

10. hongkongfuey

and a 64 bit version of Windows XP will be out next year. The Longhorn beta is already enabled for AMD64.

11. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i think there are already a few linux and unix systems around for the 64 bit CPUs. that is another argument i dont want to start tho

12. hongkongfuey

true - Linux already supports AMD64 (amongst others)