question for grapplers

Discussion in 'MMA' started by IRONMAN, Mar 18, 2004.

1. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Nope. That's how we train at bjj and muay thai, and I feel like I learned more doing it that way than all my previous MA experience combined.

The three I method:

Introduce: Show the technique and let the student practice it on a compliant opponent.
    Isolate: Drill the technique with resistance.
    Integrate: Do anything goes sparring and try to get the technique.

This should all be done in one class.

2. bigd

bigd New Member

grappling wont helpyou alone in my training ive been pumbulled by multiple attackers cause when we trained it no holding back and there were times ive got the beest of them but training yeah its effective but on the street you better do more than just grapple cause when you talk about sport fighting its cool but real fighting you better work every part of your body
    just my opinion

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Well, I wouldn't just sit there with somone in a keylock or whatever sub. That would be like punching and leaving your fist out there. If you got multiple attackers do takedowns (ones that leave you standing and their face in the concrete) and strike. It is safer to use both grappling and striking if you got 3 ppl on your ass. You could also grab one guy and push him or use him as a shield to get out of the situation (thats grappling) .

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  4. cxw

cxw Valued Member

What seems to have been missed is the psychology of the multiple attackers.

There will be a leader. This leader will the be the strongest emotionally and phsically. The others will be weak willed individuals. This is my suggestion for mulitple opponents (assuming running isn't an option):
    - Identify the leader
    - Talk directly to the leader. Say something like "your making a big mistake, I strongly suggest you leave". Say it firmly and calmly, don't be aggressive. Don't tell him that you do judo or boxing, leave what you know up to your attackers imagination.
    - If this doesn't work, you need to hurt the leader. If you manage to do this, the followers will quickly disappear.
    - If this doesn't work, protect yourself as much as possible and yell out "fire, fire". Other people are far more likely to turn up to help if they hear fire instead of assualt.

Another factor when facing one or multiple opponents is luck. Even a pro fighter could trip on a pot hole and break his leg.

5. K93200

K93200 Banned Banned

takedowns and lots of bobbing and weaving to avoid the hits and i also bite

6. charles_bolton

charles_bolton New Member

@cxw
    Good advice mate, i think this has been overlooked before, however the only problem with this, and what many other ppl have posted, is the scenario it is applied to. A "fight against multiple opponents" is pretty vague and could be anything from being mugged by a couple of lads to having 10 of them hunt you down cause youve managed to annoy their mate. Generally i wud say what cxw has said is sound advice, particularly the advice to always shout "fire". If there r any women reading this it also applies to a rape scenario. Rape/assault=dosnt effect me, i might get hurt. Whereas fire=bloody hell, I might be in danger. See the point?
    Anyway back to what i was saying before, there will more than likely be a leader, but that does not mean your confrontation is with him. For instance, had u argued with one of the gang and then the rest come over, including the leader, you're going to have to talk to one of the others. Id suggest you can nearly always talk your way out of it. Claim, "look lads, im soft, i know anyone of you can have me hands down" really make it out that you are scared. They wont exactly feel good about themselves after hurting someone that was scared of them to start with. If you have to fight, and there is no way out of it, hit someone standing on the outside to create a gap and run. Trust me, you can nearly always run. Unless they happen to have you looked in a room with only one door and they have the key, there is always the option. My 2 cents worth neway, take it or leave it. Its personal opinion of what to do and in that kind of situation you cant really plan for it.

7. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Ahhh what ever happened to the good 'ol double head bonk, it works in the movies. Or maybe the double jumping snap kick! Haha! There are way to many "what if's" and no way to predict any situation. I agree with what was said though, grappeling does not mean only on the ground; anyone who has studied trapping w/ JKD knows what I am talking about.

Gruhn

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

music to my ears :D
    and a simple common fact that so many people will throw out the window.

9. Sh4d0wS0ul

Sh4d0wS0ul New Member

IMO, street fights can be put into 2 catergories:
    Announced and Unannounced.
    The first being where you have a chance to avoid the fight by either walking/running away, talking to them, giving them your wallet (unlikely, unless they have rifles :woo: ), and the second being the first you know of their existance is in a form of physical attack.
    For the first, i would say you know yourself and what you can do. If you are athletic and you can run, then this is an option.
    I know that most people say they would just run, but i know a female who is a brown belt in jujutsu, and is not terrible slim. So while she can sit on you can make you tap out, its not terribly helpful for escape. What i'm saying is everyone has their own individual skills/style/options, so make sure you know them. My philosophy for this situation would be to put up the 'fence' (step one leg back so you groin is protected from the agressor, put hands up at chest-face sort of level with open palms) and say you don't want trouble. If situation worsens, be pre-emptive. Hit them first, hit them hard. Look for escape.
    In an unannounced situation, my focus would be just survive, you have already been attacked to the chances are you are probably hurt. Do whatever possible to prevent yourself getting even more hurt.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  10. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Ahhh... Mike Tyson style... ;)

11. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Uchi mata one guy into another! hahah