question for grapplers

Discussion in 'MMA' started by IRONMAN, Mar 18, 2004.

1. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

Originally Posted by waz1
    theres is more to grappling then rolling around the floor,stand up grappling,standing locks, chokes,using an attacker to block another attacker standing while choking or breaking limbs,but this is an m.m.a forum and the question was probably put by a t.m.a,who doesnt realise that m.m.a practitioners practice all forms of combat, striking, punching ,kicking, knees,elbows ,chokes, locks,throws while still standing,a m.m.a practitioner has a helluva more of a good chance of defeating multiple attackers than a t.m.a who punches in lines does katas,thinks martial arts are just about fancy kicks and watching bruce lee films while wearing there manderin suits, and doesnt really understand what real combat is all about.

im a little sick of you m.m.a and your friggin attitudes. my question was asked because i wanted answers and opinions if u read my other posts u would know that. and alot of respectable understanding m.m.a's gave great advice and opinions. but why are some of you so defensive. i cant stand this mma is better then tma or tma is better then mma crap. we're all martial artists and we all come to these forums looking for info., advice, and ideas and not snotty sarcastic answers from people half way across the world. if u dont have anything positive or relative to contribute then just dont post anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
  2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Because he is new to the forum - welcome by the way waz1

Some of us have had these discussions before and don't get so upset and you need to all get used to each others writing styles new memeber and old memebers too.

I agree with what he has put but have discussed it earlier with you all and he has not - thats all.

Just Chill Ironman.

3. waz1

waz1 Banned Banned

hmmmm

my post was informative i felt,and wasnt directed to any 1 specific,but if your offended i apologise,but the only people who would be offended are the people i refered to standing in there kata lines,doing make believe combat,sitting in there mandarin suits,watching bruce lee films,are you 1 of them?if not why are you offended.t.m.a s are the foundation of m.m.a,i was referring to specific types of t.m.a,but if you are 1 of the other guys i refered to well good luck with your training....youl need it lol

4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Be good, kids.

Waz, your post may not have been intended to step on any toes, but intent can be hard to read.

Ironman, keep it civil, and please watch the language. You may be "friggin sick" of our attitudes, but these are the types of responses you can expect by dropping these types of questions.

As I said, intent can be hard to read.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

This applies to everyone, regardless of what MA they practice, and for whatever reasons they practice.

This isn't really constructive.
    It comes across as you being enlightened, while those around you are ignorant.

No reason why people can't watch BL films, sit around in Mandarin suits and train effective MA.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hmmm... it's getting hot in here.

just to keep it on track. multiple opponents, i'd keep it strictly rbsd. no rules. no restrictions. bite, scratch, gouge, elbow, and knee to your heart's content. if you're lucky enough to arm yourself, then :D :D :D give it a few swings. run when you can.

7. waz1

waz1 Banned Banned

katas n bruce lee

well any 1 who of which there are thousands,who does do only katas and does not spar realistically or if at all,in all ranges is in my eyes not a true martial artist.if your a kick boxer and you spar realistically then fair dues and you do not wish to do ground work,subs,or gnp,fair enough,and this is the only range you wish to spar,i fully respect that.but some 1 who stands in line doing katas,never sparring realistically,in every form and pronounce them selves as martial artists,and think they really can fight, well all i can say is there deluded,they may aswell be doing yoga for all the good itll do them! :woo: :cry:

8. Andy Murray

This is your contribution to the discussion?

9. waz1

waz1 Banned Banned

yes it is

and its a fair point,martial arts military combat........thats what it really means!or are you offended because you too are kata warrior who thinks they are a REAL martial artist.

10. Andy Murray

Yes, dearly.

Allow me to worship you!

In all my time in MA, I have never before seen comments such as yours.
    I've wasted so many years practicing fraudulent MA that I'm reduced to tears. I've learned nothing. :rolleyes:

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Wha' where' who when?

What was the thread about again?...................

Did somebody mention multiple opponent grappling somewhere? :D

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Hey waz1... i sometimes stand up and shadow box? You know why???? to practise technique. Is that really that much different from a karateka standing in a line practising technique?

Are you actually aware that not everyone who does T.M.A " stand in a line doing fancy kata "?

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My advice is purely friendly and offerered in the hopes that you will continue to share your knolwedge and experience (and learn from others):

(1) Keep in mind that there are lots of TMA schools that train and evolve based on the changing world. Not all TMAs are ineffective. There are some that don’t.

(2) An “open mind” is a good thing. Some people do train in forms and Yoga and such and are very efficient. It may not be all that they do, but it may be part. Believe it or not, the techniques and practices of MMA come from many different elements of Traditional martial arts, modern research, and testing of techniques.

(3) As far as the topic goes, dealing with multiple opponents, ground grappling, and people with submission skills are topics which are very current. Many martial artists (MMA and TMA) are training to deal with these things. If they don’t they are avoiding a potentially deadly aspect of modern combat.

(4) Don’t judge people based on their style name and uniform until you have “walked a mile in their shoes”. Hopefully as you get more experience and exposure to the martial arts, you will realize that there are many ways of trying to accomplish the same goals. No single way is right.

(5) In a personal vein, I am a TMAist who tries to train progressively. I wear a uniform and a belt and do forms and Yoga… as well as lots of other stuff. Do a search under my name and take a look at what I do. It will give you an idea what some TMAists are doing. For that matter, do a search of some of the people you are insulting... it'll give you a clue what they are all about as well.

Good training!

14. FullContactKid

FullContactKid New Member

Like its been said so far most of the time grappling against multiple attackers wont do you much good. However when we look at all grappling styles we arent just talking about ground skills. Most styles of grappling have good standing defensive and offensive techniques that will work against multiple attackers. The best strategy I believe would be to just keep all attackers in a straight line as best as you can and work your stand up grappling from there.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

So three guys come to get you,

Clinch no.1 use him as a shield BANG, broken arm.
    Clinch no.2 use him as a shield CRUNCH, wrenched neck.
    No.3 wets himself and legs it.

Works for me! :D

16. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

seems like the best idea would be to run or try to talk your way out, if you can't i guess anything and every thing goes. and again when i posted the original question it was more of a philosophy question being that tma and mma havent different philosophies on going about situations, i just want to hear both sides of the story. Knowledge=Power

1ONEfighting Be good, kids.

"Ironman, keep it civil, and please watch the language. You may be "friggin sick" of our attitudes, but these are the types of responses you can expect by dropping these types of questions."

-"dropping these types of questions" .....i have to be scared about asking questions on a forum? i mean i could see if i said "mma suck hahahaha" which i of course dont think they do at all, but i believe my original post was straight forward and didn't indicate offence to any one. also if i included in my profile that i also studied bjj or was a former high school wrestler would grapplers still have taken offence and responded in the same way. but besides the point if i could study every tma and mma in my city i would but i dont have the time, money, and energy for that so i stick with whats around me and is affordable. im all about peace, love, and expanding my knowledge of all arts.

17. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

No, feel free to ask any questions that you like. The initial post came off as a loaded question, which could easily elicit negative responses, regardless of your original intentions.

Most of the posts on this thread were well thought out and informative, without malice. After Waz posted, you came in screaming. We like to talk things out on here, and not resort to profanity and namecalling. This is nothing anyone should get worked up over.

Please feel free to continue the discussion on this thread, but try to let cooler heads prevail.

18. waz1

waz1 Banned Banned

hmmmm

i dont really care much for this 1s done this and this 1s done that,so doing a search engine on the afformentioned names wont change my opinion or impress me.ive trained with some of THE best fighters in europe and possibly on the planet,so such and such wont impress me,unless hes a world class k1 fighter, world title kickboxer or an ultimate fighting veteran. My point if you read my post correctly was,people who JUST do katas are wasting there time if they think they are real fighters,or martial artists,with real ability to defend in a real situation against 1 or multiple opponents.also yes shadow boxing is a valid part of boxing,kickboxing,so you must be right...........NOT.try JUST shadow boxing for a boxing match,kick boxing match,see how long it takes before you get hit with everything but the kitchen sink. :woo: :cry:

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I said nothing about just doing shadow boxing and expecting to beat someone with just shadow boxing, that is yet another ignorant assumption you have made.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Waz1, can you please fill in your profile completely so that I know how to address your point in the best possible fashion.

Cheers,

Col