question for grapplers

Discussion in 'MMA' started by IRONMAN, Mar 18, 2004.

1. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

if your by yourself and are confronted by more then one attacker are your grappling skills going to be effective? if so explain how.

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Man I hope you are wearing your asbestos undies, that's a pretty loaded question, non? :)

It's a bit like saying to a TKDist, how would you defend yourself if your feet were tied together. I'm sure some clinching, takedowns, throwing skills will come in handy but the situation calls for more than just "pure" grappleing skills don't YOU think?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Firstly, I would not take it to the ground. I would attempt to use footwork to keep one opponent in front of the other, and pummel the crap out of the guy in front of me until I can escape. Fighting multiple opponents can and most likely will get you hurt, whether you are a karate black belt or a freestyle wrestler.

There is no magic formula for winning in these situations.

I will tell you one thing. It's a lot easier to be taken down in a multiple opponent situation, and a grappler knows how to get back up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Oh, and a preemptive bud-nip to everyone who posts on this thread, let's keep it civil.

5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

The dynamic of fighting multiple opponents is not one of x times 1 opponent. As 1one points out, the ability to position your opponents in a favourable way is of paramount importance. If you let them dictate your position you will be unable to defend yourself. This ability is common to good fighters of whatever background.

Don't forget that grappling skills are not just for the ground. Close-in fighters are often very good at manoeuvring stand-up opponents as well.

There aren't many grapplers who haven't learnt any striking techniques. I would say, on the other hand, that there are a lot of people from striking arts who haven't learnt any grappling.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

you'd be stupid to take it to the ground... But, grappling isn't necessaryly ground grappling, such things as throws, trips and clinch work could prove effective...

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Here is a bold statement

On the ground I have beat two opponents in sub grappling at the same time on more than one occassion.

I have also done this standing but striking makes it easier.

It can be done and the specifics are as follows. One person about 13 stone (me at 15 stone) and another at about 18 stone so no 9 stone wimps!

:Angel:

8. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Sorry, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but even if you know how to get up fast, if you are on the ground in a multiple assailant scenario how can you get up? Surely they will all be around you putting the 'boot in'? Agreed though, knowing how to get up is extremely important...

9. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

If you're confronted with more than 1 opponent grappling will not help you alone. If you're takedown by one of the them, your grappling skills will come in handy to make an escape to get back up to your feet, depending what position you're in on the ground at first.

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

See "skater vs five frat boys" video clip for grappling used against multiple opponents.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I saw a guy on a nightclub door - VERY good wrestler - take on 3 guys.

Clinch > Suplex > Back on his feet X3 in rapid succession. He wiped 'em out before they knew what had hit them. None of them got up.

12. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Those are 5 individuals who did not want to fight,the skater initiated the physical conflict. If the five had wanted to fight or had any idea of how to fight the outcome would have been different.

13. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Ironman, I would be trying to get out of there. If I can't run away, it's probably because someone's grabbed onto me. That sounds like a perfect time to use some grappling abilities to break his grip or get behind him so I can get back to running.

This question has been thrown at grapplers by pure strikers again and again and again. No, I can't win a fight with more than one person, but I doubt you can either. But I'll bet a decent submission grappler of any sort can handily win a fight with anyone who'd ask such a question, and I'll have to be satisfied with that.

14. chylaxin

chylaxin New Member

well my opinion is regardless of what art you do, in a multiattacker situation it will not be easy. I really hate when people see that as grapplings one down fall when there is no magical art that can help you defeat groups of people by yourself. Most would argue that there style trains you for those scenarios but so do many grappling arts. Whether or not the training they give you is sufficient is the key coming out, as successful as possible, in a multiattacker situation.

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Beniot Working Doors?

C'mon admit it, it was WWE champ Chris Beniot wasn't it ;) :D

16. YODA

LOL! Nope - just a regular guy from our local wrestling club. National team level though :D

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Gotta pay the dues, those things look knackering to do just once, never mind three on the trot. :D

18. YODA

A pretty standard drill in wrestling gyms here is to repeatedly suplex the grappling dummy (about 100lbs dead weight) as a conditioning exercise. 1 minute rounds of Suplex, stand, pick up the dummy - repeat. Ten of these in a minute is not at all unusual.

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

That sound like a right laugh :D

Where do I sign? :D

20. Siu Mui Fa

Siu Mui Fa New Member

See "skater vs five frat boys" video clip for grappling used against multiple opponents.

I humbly request a link for this video. TIA!