Question foe the Thai Boxers

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Slihn, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Hello all! I am just wondering what age did you fight your first Muay Thai bout? I am 24 yrs old hoping to compete someday as a pro fighter,but I have not been able to fight a single bout yet. I had a fight scheduled back in March 2004, and another in May 2006 but due to circumstances,I wasnt able to attend either one.Since I live a more settled down life now ,I am quite sure that I can train on a regular basics,so I am quite sure that I will be able to fight soon.I am wondering if any of you guys started fighting after 24 years old,or am I to old now to start fighting.

2. strider

strider Valued Member

dude ur not to old to fight ur fine,if ur in a good physical and psychological condition nothing should be a problem.
    so ur not to old to fight

3. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

nah 24 is fine

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D

Bro I hate to break it to you but two years in between fights - neither one which you actually were able to show up at let alone fight...err.. says a lot.

Don't kid yourself.
    If you want to fight... then train and fight.
    Find a good gym with a good coach and get up to snuff and then have your coach start entering you in bouts.

No you're not too old to fight... but you need to be realistic. It all depends on what you mean by pro. You've got to realize that many pro Muay Thai fighters are midway through their career by 25. Especially in the circuits like Thailand where they start fighting young.

I suggest you get some amatuer fights under your belt... ones you actually show up for and fight. Think about turning pro later. ;)

5. strider

strider Valued Member

slipthejab dude go easy on the guy.
    slihn bro. just train hard and ull fight easy .

6. slipthejab

I didn't think that was too rough.
    After all - he's talking about wanting to become a professional nak muay.
    He's gonna need thicker skin than what it takes to get through my posts if he wants to go that route.

Again - the place he needs to start is not by making exscuses why he couldn't make two seperate amatuer fights that were two years apart - but to have roughly an amatuer bout once a month. He needs to get in a get to work.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good post slip,first thing a (potential)boxer has to be is honest with him/herself and realistic with their training/competing goals :)

8. strider

strider Valued Member

yeah ur right stj,but maybe he wants some spirit to get into the fight mode,and he searchs for it here,although ur right concerning more training and less excuses.

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Nah your not too old to fight - but id let go of your idea of turning pro for the moment.

Your not too old, look at a guy who posts here on MAP called Hux, he had his first fight not so long ago and hes in his 30's. Just train and fight.

10. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

What the others have said is right that you are not too old but if you where to become a good professional at your age you will need to get a good few wins quickly and learn about fighting in the ring quickly. Train hard and best of luck.

11. Slihn

Slihn New Member

First off they are not excuses,at the time a worked a job overseas,that did not allow me to be home enough to train on a regular basics.I would be gone for over a year,then back for a few months,then gone for 3 or 4 months then back for two weeks.I wasnt one of those people who sit around and say they want to fight but never do it.

Second about pro fighting,I am not an ediot.To rush staright into a pro fight would be quite foolish.What I meant was woring my way up to pro fights through amature bouts.

You should know more about the situation of a person before you insult them.

12. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

A lot of good points.

I started training at 22, fighting at 23, went on a 10 year hiatus starting at 24, then started fighting again at 34. (Then I retired from the ring)

As others have said, you're not too young. Heck, I coach a fighter who is 40 years old and he is a total ass-kicker. The main obstacle for you is training time and dedicating yourself to taking this seriously. Even if you just want to fight amateur, the committment to training is INTENSE! You literally have to devote serious time to training 6 days a week! You need to run a minimum of 4 times a week.

You don't necessarily need to do MuayThai training each day (3-4 days/week should be sufficient), but you simply have to be sure you are properly preparing yourself for the ring. I know I'm stating the obvious when I say that its no joke once the bell rings. You will have someone with seriously bad intentions trying to hurt you. You've got to be ready to deal with that and return the same.

Good Luck with that!

13. slipthejab

Not exscuses per se... but kept you from fighting/training at any rate. You're priorities were not around being a professional fighter. You need to be honest with yourself about that.

Never said you were. But again it's about priorities. It takes a MASSIVE committment of time to be a professional fighter. Most people never get to the point in their lives where they make that committment.

Not the National Spelling Bee champ either are ya? :p

Oh do relax there feisty. :rolleyes:
    No one insulted you. Like I said if you can't deal with someones opinion on an online forum then you've got a lot of thick skin to grow if you want to become a pro fighter.

14. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Slip the jab,the fact of the matter is,is that I was not able to train the way I wanted to because I was in the Army.I started Muay Thai when I was overseas ,fell in love with art.I didnt even consider going into tournaments until my instructor asked me if I would fight for the gym.I was extremly honored and devoted all of my "free" time to training(which wasnt much). Every time I would get a full two weeks are not of training I would either have to go back to the field or some time of duty.

In the Army you do not have the option of having your own priorities being around a professional fighter or anything else,especially when the nation is at war.

Kune Kao, thanks for the words od encouragment.Now that I am back in the states I devote 6 days a week to training (Cardio in the mornings, Muay Thai and BJJ in the evenings and weights at night).

15. slipthejab

Yeah I understand... you had other priorities. It's that way for a lot of people that consider being a professional fighter. I know plenty of guys who never took it anywhere because family, friends, job got in the way.

Again - as I said above... that's not making exscuse per se... but it does reflect different priorities. That's not an insult. That's just the reality of it.

Good luck on becoming a pro fighter.
    Keep training and get the bouts lined up.

Look into the anaerobic side of cardio in your training. It will have benefit if you wish to become a professional MT fighter.

16. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I've been watching The Ultimate Fighter series' recently and a lot of the fighters on there gave up their job and even their homes in some cases to have a crack at going pro!

It's a big commitment as has been said, so you'll have to be prepared to makes some sacrifices...

I started training about 3.5 months ago now, at 21. Hoping to have my first fight on February 17th, even though it will only be at interclub level. It's all experience though

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good luck spirez,not to many mince pies over xmas! :)

18. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

Out of curiousity,

Is there a large ametuer thai boxing circuit? What about women? Are there competitions for female fighters? I would have thought yes, but no where near the number of male comps.

19. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

In the UK it's definitely getting more popular, there's usually some kind of show going on somewhere every month. At the ones I've been to, there has been one female fight on a card of usually about 15 fights, so it's still a very male dominated sport. I'm not sure what it's like in other countries though.

20. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

Amateur Muay Thai has taken off big in the UK with the WMF, you could easily get yourself put in for the WMF World Championships in Thailand this year if you have the dedication and impress the judges at any WMF amateur bout...

That said i started when i was 18, had my first fight at 19 and currently going in for my 4th at age 21. Was a slow start but i haven't had any amateur bouts just pro amateur (shin pads only,no knees or elbows to head) hopefully will be turning pro after another 1 or 2 matches but you have to be realistic about this.

Its no walk in the park it takes serious dedication if you want to win! Fighting at that level is not for everyone