Question about weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Inu, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Inu

Inu Valued Member

I have been wondering a bit, and i am quite fascinated with weapons in general, and here is my questions:

What weapon (traditionally-more so speaking) do you like to train and why? Movement, fluidity, etc? I am talking in a very non-street fighting way here.

And of course, the annoying of all, what might work for me?

The first question is for ideas, as I enjoy katas a lot, even though my class isn't one to do much of them. Just my overall big curiosity to weapons.

I am doing Budo, a.k.a. a mix of jiu jitsu, judo, aikido, karate, yoseikan and I don't remember what else. Though, I am open to ANYTHING. Mainly, I am curious of various weapons. I love the look of the chinese Dao for example, but i don't know anything of the practice though.

I learned a tiny wheeny bit of the bokken, and also a bit of the kubotan. I learned a small portion of archery, and I am looking to get a bow. Foremost, a place to use it, of course. I also practice Tanto Happo (spelling... i think?) alot, although empty handed most of the time. My teacher started to add a bit more knife work to it recently though. I am so far, a little orange belt. As said, it's more as a curiosity, maybe something to look forward to? Or a thought to learn? Or curiosity, that works too.

Second question's reason is here:
    six months ago, my neck got injured in a very WEIRD fashion, and so for now I cannot use my shoulders and of course, my neck. (I practice tanto happo slowly, and avoid too much shoulder movement and I focus on my hips) I tried the bo with my teacher, and result was impossible. I did maybe, 15 min? I ain't touching the bokken either... Would be foolish in my opinion.

I know it is pretty much impossible of thinking of a weapon without my shoulders. Thought I'd ask before though.

So after rambling about myself, i'd love to hear everyone's opinion on it, even as to ignore my second question and fill in my beginner's curiosity. Fill me in on the why, if possible, please!

2. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

I only train with two weapons: stick (eg. walking sick) and knife. I prefer the stick for two reasons:

1) RANGE!

2) Far more likely to be available than knife. (Illegal to carry in Australia, whereas walking stick/umbrella is not).

Kubotan/short stick is a viable option if you can explain why you're carrying it, but depending on where you live this could be difficult.

I practice LaCanne and I greatly enjoy the fast, fluid motion of the single-handed stick. (Great to develop footwork too!)

As to "what would work for you" - I seriously don't know anything that works without shoulders. The low-level two-handed Lacanne techniques don't require much arm movement, but without shoulders you aren't moving your arms with any real purpose or strength. Hip movement develops the power, but without shoulders to transfer it that means nothing.

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Is this via single school or a number of different dojo?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

My favourite weapon is the European longsword. Probably the most versatile hand weapon devised by man.

For you, however, I would recommend the smallsword. Deceptively deadly and not a "swinging" weapon. Very light, easy on the shoulders.

Try that on for size. You won't be disappointed.

Best regards,

-Mark

6. Inu

Inu Valued Member

Thank you for your replies!
    StevieB8363 i see why a staff could be very fun, being anything available around us. Will look up the Lacanne, i am very curious. And thank you for clarification with the hips and shoulders. I understand a little better, but i know i will more once i can DO it. And practice it. :)

To ScottUK and Dean Winchester, no not that school, but all of them are in a single school. It mixes all those together, an for more info it would be to send you back to my teacher really. I'm far from knowing the details of how and blah. The "full" name is Budo Daigaku.

Langenschwert, i agree small sword does look interesting. Though saddly, the only european style used or seen around here are in LARP (Live Action Role-Playing). Been to them once, but seen alot of fight around me with those foam sword. I am curious to see something... better, per say. Most are random people wielding foam sticks... Maybe a nice vid link? Since i'm not in that style at all and my teacher doesn't know much of it, i'd like a little demo. I'm very visuel, and would give me a good idea.

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I like deflagration weapons

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i like a baston (a stick). i also like a short kalis/ tabac/ sanibar/ barung/ pinuti/ dahong palay. i also like knives.

in general i am fascinated with all weapons. filipino weapons however capture the essence of the art that i practice.

there are certain groups within the fma whose movements do not require a whole lot of shoulder movement. they are able to generate the power by using more of "body language" than range of motion. this is especially true of knifework.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

'Martial Arts University' is a bold name for a simple club! Impressed! Whereabouts are you based?

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi Inu,

LARP has nothing to with European fighting styles. They merely use the form of the weapons for inspiration.

For real deal smallsword, here you go. It's Jared Kirby and Jeannette Acosta-Martinez. Take the time to watch the entire clip. It really shows the caution needed when using thrusting weapons. Note the tempo changes later on, also the nice pommel strike about halfway through and the sweet disarm by Acosta-Martinez at the end.

Best regards,

-Mark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exu4_9e2ctk"]Small-sword - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  11. Inu

Inu Valued Member

shootodog interesting, especially since i can't find half of those weapons online. I try to see a bit of the style, though, again, i rather ask people for it, since i might fall on just the wrong video/picture. I slightly heard about it before, and today I saw(thought might be wrong) there is also spears, and that is the first time i even hear it with long weapons. I got to say, i'm intrigued.

ScottUK Yes, my teacher wanted that! We are in Quebec, Sherbrooke. I think there is a website, although i think the Facebook page is the only thing online. Sensei did not want to be found online, so you won't find information on him. If you are more curious, i'd say contact the username MeSamurai on MAP.

And for Mark/Langenschwert, THANK YOU for showing me i was wrong. :) I tend to notice very swift movements, little movements that makes a huge difference. A little flick seems to make sometimes a hit. Interesting, although right now impossible for me to achieve with my physical condition. I'll try to look those two up as reference! hank you again.

12. shootodog

this one is run by a few people i know:

http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/

here is the late great gm antonio "tatang" ilustrisimo for some demo show with mang romy macapagal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVnx0NHnekQ"]Eskrima Master Demo - YouTube[/ame]

* those are live blades.

here is the late great gm momoy canete demonstrating spada y daga

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJNNgtc-0Q"]Tribute to GM Filemon " Momoy" Canete - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  13. Inu

Inu Valued Member

Sorry for the long time to respond, i wanted to take my time to watch the videos.

Thank you shootodog! Very interesting and different. Swift movements too. As for the sword, I have a particular love for the gayang for some reason. The kris also, but I actually knew about that blade before. I'll be digging some more in the website... :)

14. shootodog

these are my favorite:

dahong palay

[​IMG]

barung

[​IMG]

pinuti

[​IMG]

sansibar

[​IMG]

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

oooooh! I LOVE Barongs!!!

I also like Talibongs - they bring out a certain dynamic to my carenza...but Barong? Man I am badass with those!!

16. shootodog

barungs are wonderful to use. nice heft to them. wonderful to swing. they are the do anything blade.

17. Hannibal

They suit my frame too (6'1" and a bit and around 215) so I can get a fair bit of speed up with them

This is the one I am using at the moment simply because i can hack at stuff with it and not worry about the cost of damaging it or replacing it

[​IMG]

18. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Well now I feel all left out and will have to wop out my Parang

[​IMG]

Though I only use it for wooding, gardening etc. Seems a bit dangerous to go waving it around :eek:

19. Hannibal

Sharp things are cool!

One day i will actually photograph my collection!

20. shootodog

has anyone used this yet?

[​IMG]