Question about pads for FMA Stick Sparring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Capt Ann, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Play it Again is international actually. (I used to work for them. That's where I got the hockey gloves.) They've got Play It Again stores in Germany. Presumably elsewhere in Europe too. The problem is that they're individually owned and operated, so there aren't websites to order from and all that. At least, that's how it worked years ago when I was there.

Still, for the enterprising martial artist who wants gear on the low low, Matt's absolutely right. Get thee to Play it Again.

Stuart

Edit: Since the original question came from Capt Ann in my native Maryland, there used to be a Play it Again in Annapolis, right across from the Annapolis Mall. There may be stores closer to you in Calvert County. But I don't know where they'd be.

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Thanks, Stuart! But there aren't any stores in Calvert Co. ;)

FYI, everyone, I'm investing in a bunch of different options for the gumdo class I teach. I just got some high-end lacrosse gloves ($25.50 US), and two sets of old beaters ($3 and $6.50 with a helmet, respectively) off ebay. I also ordered the set of WEKAF armor (helmet, body pad, gloves) new from a discount supplier, and I am bidding on ebay for a few hockey helmets with full face protection. Once I get everything in, I'll run them through some paces and write back to the thread on the pros/cons of each.

Please keep in mind, though, that I will be using them for something slightly different than your art. For the sword art, I'll need almost no wrist mobility, but scads of hand/finger control and lots of top hand/thumb/wrist protection. There are two or three guys in the school that routinely do TKD short stick fighting, so I can loan the gear to them for some more representative feedback.

Thanks again to all for the input so far, especially for the info on the WEKAF armor.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries Capt Ann. Good luck with everything. :)