Question about pads for FMA Stick Sparring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Capt Ann, Jan 2, 2005.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good move!

Tip: Cut the palms out to increase grip.

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I've just ordered some lacrosse gloves from ebay....the better ones tend to have mesh palms, and the fingers are articulated for better mobility.

Anybody have experience with both, who can give a comparison between hockey and lacrosse gloves for FMA use?

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've experimented with articulated lacross gloves (without mesh palms (I second Yoda's advice... plus medical tape helps) and street hockey gloves. I prefer the lacross. Overall they allow for a lot more articulation than the hockey gloves did.

- Matt

4. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

I second that, the Lacrosse gloves have a nice balance between movement & protection.

the wrist design on mine is quite open & allows near full movment & the level of protection means you still feel hand hit's without getting too dinged up.

Pat :- I will never stopped being amazed at the amount of guys that don't listen when you tell them to Buy a cup, still I guess experiance is the best teacher :p

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

defacing lacrosse gloves! who do you think you are? preppy? :D

seriously. that's serious greens to be dishing out for a pair. and you're going to cut holes in them to boot!

check out street hockey gloves. way cheaper too.

6. YODA

That's what eBay is for :D

I find old abused hockey gloves that people don't want are usually just right for stickfighting - and cheap :D

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i agree oh mighty green one!~

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Sometimes their brains are smaller than their ego, but it's really funny when they find out the hard way:D plus it gives a ceratain swelling that seems for some unknown reason to deflate their ego, never could work that one out;) But they all learn in the end.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

When we trained for the WEKAF tournaments, we wore lacrosse gloves. I have a pair of ice hockey gloves as well. So here are my observations: The lacrosse gloves are much easier to move in, maintain a grip, etc. But they're much less armoured than the hockey gloves are. The shell on the hockey gloves is harder. But if you can't effectively use your weapon, then the extra protection probably isn't worth it.

The lacrosse gloves are the best bet I've seen, if you're using rattan sticks. If you're using padded sticks, you could probably get away with something even smaller and more versatile. I've been thinking padded sticks and MMA gloves personally, but I haven't tried it.

Stuart

10. Scotty Dog

we've played with that a bit, the only thing that put's me off is the lack of protection to the thumb. Don't half make you move your hand though ;)

11. YODA

I'm currently using light street hockey gloves with the soft(er) sticks. Still - I got a bone broken in my hand recently - eep!

12. Scotty Dog

As Yoda said, E-bay's a great thing :D

Mine only cost about £26 so they were a little cheaper than my normal hockey gloves, they feel a Lot better put together than my Street hockey gloves as well.

PS

Yoda
    When did Steve learn to hit that hard :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I should think it does. :)

I was thinking MMA gloves because it would be nice to be able to shift seamlessly from armed to unarmed. One guy gets disarmed but can keep going empty hand.

As I said, I haven't tried it. But it'd be nice to find a format with more options than the bulky WEKAF armour provides.

Stuart

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Someone remind me why we do this to ourselves.

Yeah, yeah. I know. "Who else are we gonna do it to?!"

15. Matt_Bernius

Here in the states, we have "Play it again" second hand sports stores. Prices are usually pretty reasonable and the selections pretty good.

- Matt

16. YODA

Sounds great!

Last time I was in LA I found that your stuff NEW was what we'd pay here 2nd hand! I went in a "Big 5" and was like a kid in a candy store :D

17. Matt_Bernius

If you ever need stuff and it's easier to buy it here and ship it to ya, let me know.

- Matt

18. Scotty Dog

Bad idea.

The order's are going to Pour in now Matt :p

19. YODA

...is that my credit card I hear buzzing in my pocket?

DOWN BOY!!!!!!

20. Matt_Bernius

Hey I'm in Chicago. If I can't get a deal for you here...