Question about pads for FMA Stick Sparring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Capt Ann, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

What do you use for padding when sparring with sticks in your style?

I am teaching a group of beginning sword students in a combination class covering aspects of Daehan Kumdo and HaeDong Gumdo (two styles of sword art). We need some more protection than what we are currently using (i.e., none), but we really can't all go out and spend $500 each for a good set of kendo armour. I've noticed that Doce Pares angles of attack and targets are almost the same as ours (we add lower leg shots, and sometimes use upwards diagonal cuts, but other than that, we're pretty much in sync). Yoda's club site had some pics. of sparring, and the gear looked sufficient for what we need.

Anybody have any suggestions/recommendations for protective gear?

Thanks in advance.

2. samharber

samharber New Member

A good solid helmet, good hockey gloves, groin protector, hard elbow and knee pads (skateboarding ones work well).

it makes sense to armour the locations that you would naturally want to aim for. Armouring everything else is expensive, and to my mind, unneccessary.

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Thanks for the info.

I was looking into hockey goalie masks (cover the head, face, AND offer good throat protection), and some kind of gloves. Like you, I need gloves that can protect the entire back of the hand/wrist and the sides of the thumbs, AND still allow a firm, responsive grip on the weapon.

1. Has anyone tried lacrosse gear?
    2. Do you use any kind of chest protector?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

id say some punching bag gloves, u know the ones with the fingers cut off?
    or u could just pad your sticks perhaps?

5. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

Can someone post the web adress of yoda's club site. yoda maybe?

6. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I think it's:
    http://www.docepares.co.uk/

In fact, I think (not sure) that the pics of the guy twirling sticks are of the little green guy himself (see under "Solo Training", "Twirling Excercises", "Double Stick")

7. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

We use padded stick in our sparring, have not tried it yet, just bought last week for 200 Philippine peso a pair, we do not use any armour. Much cheaper, but dunno if I can swing same speed like a bamboo stick does. I think, I'll learn this month, :p

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's a site I designed for my Doce Pares Instructor - but not exactly "My site" :D

Yes - those pix are me :D

Here is my site...

www.combative.co.uk

There's a full page there on training equipement - written by my good pal and FMA Forum moderator "Elhiggito" who runs our Glasgow branch.

9. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

I was just about to post that :p

10. jaffas21

jaffas21 Valued Member

re: Padding

We have two methods of padding depending on how we want to fight

if we want to just hit each other we wear the WEAKAF armour, with helmet, arm pads , elbow pads and either mitten style gloves or the fingered type, this is better with beginners because they have less control over where they are going to hit.

£160 per person ish

If i want to brush up on certain techniques with my instructor, i might also take this approach as its easier to avoid getting hurt ...

Otherwise, if my instructor and myself want to make it more interesting we will fight with just helmets and arm and hand protection

about £90 per person.

I train at what is one of two escrimas club in Teesside, (not the one at middlesborough), although i won't mention its name, in case its classed as advertising

I didn't know anyone used Kendo armour for stick fighting ?? wouldn't this be a bit restrictive

11. samharber

samharber New Member

Ahh... Now I know who you are....
    I'm blaming you for most of my injuries.

12. YODA

Moi? Shirley shome mishtake? :Angel:

ps. Had to give your sig a tweak.

13. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Sorry, but WEAKAF = ??

I don't think anyone does use kendo armor for stick fighting. We use kendo armour for kendo fighting, and we are looking for something cheaper/lighter, because our art involves a faster pace, shorter swords, deeper stances, and more allowed body targets. It is actually closer to your art, only with longer, bladed sticks.

Yes, kendo armour is very restricting (and somewhat heavy, and very expensive)

14. YODA

15. Scotty Dog

Here's some Piccys

Attached Files:

16. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Hey Yoda ,Good to see the DP site back up & running :cool: ,I notice the footwork drills are missing this time around,It will be good to see the sections that are unfinished completed,any ideas when?specificly the tire dummy section & corto's ,tapi-tapi & sparring sections?Just want to say to everyone out there into Docepares style to check out Yodas site that he designed ,Its very informative & well structured .Keep up the good work yoda. :)

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I think he likes you oh great green one:love:

18. YODA

I won't be adding anything until my instructor gives me some info to put up there. I've more than done my bit for now :D

19. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

For sure yoda ,you have done more than your bit,Hopefully 2005 will see the site go forward & not close down again with lack of support.

20. Scotty Dog

Sorry Shootodog, is there something on your Site about weapons sparring Kit ???