Question about OZ & Gloves.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by nob67, Oct 2, 2006.

1. nob67

nob67 New Member

Hi. I have recently started MT and am looking to buy some Equipment for home that I can hopefully also use in my class. Right now I have some crappy but decent gloves (I dont know what oz) I got from the club to start with. I am going to be getting a 5' bag this week to hang in my basement, and am wondering about what OZ gloves I should use?

If I were using 12 OZ gloves would that be ok for both padwork and bagwork? Right now we do mostly pad and bag work in my beginners MT class. I basically am looking to know if I can find a OZ that will be an all around good choice for both of those. If not, then what should I get just for the bag and all that at home?

I do realize this is mostly personal preference, but I mean I'd like a glove to start where It's not going to be too heavy or too light, and I wont break my hands or anything either.

Right now I'm about a click away from getting some 12OZ Twins gloves... I thought I better check before jumping the gun from some experienced people. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. Fightshop.Com

Fightshop.Com Valued Member

Bag Or Boxing Gloves ?

Bag or Boxing Gloves??

Bag gloves are designed to protect your hands and knuckles when your are training on punch bags and sometimes training pads like focus mitts or Thai pads.

If you are buying gloves to use on a punch bag only then I’d recommend bag gloves, any of our brands are good for the job as they all quality constructed from leather and will last a long time, however do remember to wear hand wraps for maximum protection.

If you are training in a gym, and you need gloves for sparring, then you want training gloves at the higher end of the weight scale. Therefore if your of average weight and height, go for 14 or 16 oz gloves, the actual hand compartment inside the glove is the same size if you buy 10 oz or 18 oz, the extra weight is in the padding around the glove. The weight of teh glove is not for your protection but for your sparring partner's, which is why as a gneral rule the heavier you are then the more weight you should have in your glove. (This rule does not apply for competition fights where the weight of the glove is set by the sanctioning body)

If you’re a heavy person, 14 stone or above, you may want to go for 18 oz Gloves, not to protect you in sparring but rather your sparring partner.

As a rule you shouldn’t really use your sparring gloves for punch bag work, as it will break the padding down over time and the protection for your sparring partner is reduced and sparring gloves cost more than bag gloves.

If you do Thai boxing or boxing and you train on Thai pads or focus mitts, and you dont need them for sparring then you can use bag gloves however more preferable is a lighter sparring glove, 12oz Velcro fasten training glove with hand wraps is ideal.

If you intend to spar at your club and work out on the bag at home then I would recommend a cheaper entry level pair of bag gloves such as MTG for home use and a decent pair of Sparring Gloves such as Fairtex, Twins or Windy.

If cost is an issue go for MTG as these are really good gloves at a good price. Twins, Title, Fairtex and Windy are the premium brands and all the best quality you can buy. Thai Boxers tend to go for the Twins, Windy and Fairtex, as these are the Thai Brands used by the pro fighters in Thailand. Boxers tend to go for Title, as this is what the Pro Boxers in the UK use.

Hope this helps, if you have any more queries please ask. You can e-mail me directly on info@fightshop.com

Bag Gloves at

http://www.fightshop.com/product_catalogue.asp?category_id=10&sub_sub_category_id=27

Sparring Gloves at

http://www.fightshop.com/product_catalogue.asp?category_id=1&sub_sub_category_id=25

Regards

www.fightshop.com

3. Ridge

Ridge Now With Added Sarcasm

Since you didn't even mention the word "sparring" you could get the 12 OZ gloves for all your bag/pad work.

Go for 14 or 16 OZ if sparring ever comes up though.

4. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

You're going to need bag gloves and boxing gloves, unless your about 12 you're going to need about 16oz for your boxing gloves and bag gloves are bag gloves, just buy a decent make, twins,windy or fairtex are all good.

I use

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TWINS-SPECIAL

but if your in a hurry, or don't like ordering from outside the UK, go with fightshop.com

5. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Get 10 oz or even 8 oz velcro sparring gloves for pad work, decent bag gloves for heavy bag work, and 16oz gloves for sparring. Dont use your sparring gloves for heavy bag work, or they well break down over time, even with a decent pair. Keep your sparring gloves just for sparring and they will last ages.

6. Aqilifer

Aqilifer New Member

If you started recently, buy just 16 oz. No need to buy 2 or 3 different pairs yet.

7. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I realize this is an extreme thread necro, but why not?

I have a couple of pairs of cheap everlast 16 oz gloves. One pair glued together and on the way out, and another pair still decent.

My wife has a set off 10 oz fairtex gloves I am very envious of (and have permission to use for bag work). She doesn't really use them anymore, but I plan to put them to work. They are pink though, but my bag won't care about that.

I want to get a set of nice gloves for sparring, and maybe some pad work here and there. Most guys have 16 oz gloves in my MT classes, but one of the instructors has 18 oz gloves and he mentioned how these can be friendlier to sparring partners. I am thinking about getting some as a change from 16 oz gloves. I am 200+ lbs, and I think I have good control - but I figure extra padding helps my hands and whoever I am hitting. Also, I figure the extra 2 oz only helps for fitness, which is a good thing.

What do you think, any downside to getting 18 oz gloves?

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

They'll be like giant pillows!

Great for sparring?

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Depends on where the extra weight is. Heavier doesn't always mean bigger as some gloves have the weight added at the cuff.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I found that Everlast does that more (placing the weight in the cuff)

I would prefer to have the extra padding on the knuckles really like how Twins does them.

11. Unreal Combat

Fairtex have the weight in the cuff too. The assistant instructor in my gym has the same Fairtex Thai Pride gloves that I wear (the red white and blue gloves I wear in my fight videos). Size wise there's no difference between his 10oz pair and my 16oz pair.

12. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

As UC says, Fairtex has a fair bit of the padding spread down to the wrist area. I prefer this personally. My last pair of sparring gloves were Twins 16oz, good gloves but I felt they were a little large, and gave me too much of a guard if you know what I mean? I use Fairtex 16's now, they seem just as safe even though they appear to be smaller, and the smaller size of the gloves helps work my guard more.

13. Unreal Combat

They have better padding, so they don't need as much of it, though they will take time for sparring partners to get used to. I did a review on my site which goes into more detail regarding the padding etc. Worth a read for anyone interested.

14. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Thanks! I read it, and it had a lot of good info. Answered a lot of questions, and the particular pair of gloves you have are very cool looking as well. I think I am going to bug some people in class and look at the difference between various brands and sizes before I shell out the money, but I'm now thinking Fairtex 16 oz might be the way to go.

15. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Just get a pair of 10oz Fairtex / sandee / twins gloves