Question about Kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Van Zandt, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

IIRC there is a record of Doshin So, attending also Hakko Ryu classes for a short time, which was added to the chin na side of the art, which explains the japanese jujutsu-looking locking side of the art. There is also sections on defenses from 'judo style attacks' which is explained by the fact that most japanse children having done a couple of years of judo at school.

Shorinji Kempo is a very nice art, Have you seen its Kyokushinkai-like offshoot - Byakuren Karate-Kempo Founded by So Doshin's bodyguard and student, Masayasu Sugihara.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtwY1jaM798"]YouTube - Byakuren Karaté[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

good video

saw this art on fight quest, and rules were simple: you can only kick to the head, but punch with hands to the body all you want!
    These guys are seriously tough Guys!

3. Dead_pool

Your thinking of Kyokushinkai on fight quest, the Byakuren Karate-Kempo people share the sparring method, (and also participate in the same competitions?) but AFAIK also seem to have other sections not geared towards that type of kumite.

4. Dead_pool

Theres a few great clips of shorinji kempo here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWTdvmfdIY"]YouTube - 少林寺拳法・対武器掛り稽古[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLcPWtOgjYU&feature=related"]YouTube - 森道基 巻落[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks for the vids :cool:

6. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Becuase of the influence of Henry Okazaki and Danzan-Ryu Aikijutsu I think many Kempo/Kenpo branches have that feeling.

7. Flashyboy

Flashyboy Valued Member

I train in Kempo Jujitsu so I can see where a lot of it ties in. I don't think I'm really in a position to comment too much because mine does incorporate a lot of the throws, holds and locks from the jujitsu side and mainly the striking and techniques from the Kempo side. To be honest I find it tremendously good fun and have reached yellow belt status! My 5 year old daughter is doing her red belt grading in a couple of weeks and is actrually pretty good at it. It does seem to be a very street smart combination but I guess every school is different. My teacher is a very open minded man and has black belt status in several styles including Ninjitsu so I think it is reflected in what we learn as he finds it useful to throw in stuff from other styles to broaden our horizons. I would really recommend it to people, despite the fact that Kempo seems to get a bad name in a lot of places these days. Let us know how it works out for you.