Qing gong gong fu

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by gerard, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

No you are not. There are two kinds of knowledge; knowledge of perception (i.e sense), and knowledge of causality (i.e science). All animals in the world possess both of these forms of knowledge to some extent (yes, astonishingly, humans are animals. Shocking.). But it seems from your posting record here on MAP that you possess very little experience of either of them.

Funny guy you may be, man of knowledge you are not.

2. wisely_foolish

wisely_foolish New Member

i may be wrong about this, but after reading all the posts lately, i get the impression that one person is trying to push across the view that the chinese had influenced in one way or another everything that we have today whether it be the binary system, the computer or the perception of light and newton's ideas about light being a spectrum and so forth. it really just gets my ghoulies about this...its on the same line as a korean international student i met claiming to me that the sushi roll and most other japanese culinary dishes were actually invented in korea and stolen by the japanese (i'm not sure if this is true and i don't want to get into a discussion about this either)...

imo there are fundamental truths/facts/laws/hypotheses/theorems regarding the workings of the universe, the world, nature, humans and everything else, and it is aspects of these fundamental truths which are uncovered and explained by the different ways presented. eg. Yin/Yang and the opposing forces (taoist philosophy), the differences in poles/electrical charges (of science), the universal belief that if we do good to others good things will be done to us (buddhist thinking, christian thinking, even those who dont believe in a religion). we know it is there, and here we have different ways to show it. I like that saying someone made earlier...if it can't be explained by science, it is placed under mysticism. Whether it be science or taoism, they are approaching the same destination, to unravel/explain the truths (science), to diminish and let go of the useless rubbish (taoism) to return to this truth.

now back to the qi gong thing, these amazing feats of superhuman ability can be questionable (I say this because when people re-tell stories, to make it interesting, it tends to be exaggerated) but lets say we discarded all the exaggerations and got to the core of the claims, is it really what you wish to aim at? i remember a quote "those who wish to conquer the world will never receive their objectives, but those who puts others before the self will inherit the earth" I would like to ask, when these masters that trained centuries ago, did they have the soul purpose and plan of developing supernatural powers or was it rather a by product if thats the right word, of the time and the effort they put into their training?

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-2-17/26418.html

latest theory is a winch system, backed up by local legend about how it was done. The problem isn't finding a way to do it, but the way that it was done.

Each race has it's own acheivements, and progressed at different rates. it's foolish for anyone to claim that this makes one race better than another. The chinese were ahead technologically for a period of time, but due to certain critical technological landmarks, like accurate timekeeping and glass, they were succeeded by other races. Claiming that the chinese used to have great technology 1000 years ago by no way means it is superior to todays scientific method.

4. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

as a person whom practices qigong, i find this thread hilarious.

qigong, is chinese yoga. it was invented so buddhist monks could meditate for longer periods of time in their temples. it helps increase your bodies endurance, flexibility, meditation abilities, streangth(shew at least in my legs) and speed. It can help you get in shape and be leaner (not really build bulk).

however, in shaolin temples, it has been used to make the monks much more acrobatic. such as, allowing them to jump higher (not more then world record holders, unless they do wall jumping which still is "wall jumping" and nothing more then that. they still are just jumping with light weight and more power meaning slightly more distance... look at wushu...)

at the same time, i've seen videos on children in temples doing qigong, where they meditate on 2 fingers (one hand stand!) or 2 fingers (2 hand stand). which is still amazing.

however, making claims that they can run over water or jump 50 feet is a little extreme and made up. qigong may help them do small wall jumps, wall climbing, tree climbing ect faster or better then the rest, but still with in human limitations!

5. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

I just find this thread hilarious.