qi punch

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Nov 29, 2013.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

This is a documented training method, and whilst the guy in the video might be keeping his hand open (not watching it) that's not how it is supposed to be done.

Having read through a detailed methodology for this training and given it some trial my understanding is it is a way to refine technique and a specific body mechanics when issuing power. If you don't get it just right it doesn't work - and no you're not flapping out the candle with your hand. I'm sure there are ways to cheat, but following the documented method, putting it out is not that easy at all.

It's actually difficult to get it right, so it's quite satisfying when you put it out. This is not at all comparable to shadow boxing or bag training or anything else as it is solely focused on refining and perfecting body mechanics and technique this is something you can then transfer to other modes of striking training.

For the record I didn't continue any training with the candle. But I found the process quite interesting and could see the purpose and understand the point of it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It's actually quite hard to put it out if you stick to certain rules.

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

wait so this actually helps to perfect execution of punches?

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

To perfect a certain way of punching, yes. It's quite detailed which is why it's quite hard to get the power together with the correct technique and body mechanics you are meant to follow. To get it spot on to put out the candle in the way it is supposed to go out was not straightforward. It literally pops out, which is quite weird -we all know what a naked flame looks like when you blow on it or when exposed to a breeze or wind and It's nothing like that really.

If you are interested I can post you details of the book where this training method is properly detailed with the specific way to punch. I have it at home so it will have to be tonight.

The book itself is quite a mixed bag with some quite esoteric stuff in it. But amongst some of that there's also a fair amount of decent information and good descriptions of various training methods in there.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

could you Cloudz if you don't mind?

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Dude, I just woke up. I read this and started looking around MAP for videos of me punching out candle flame's with a confused look on my face. I have medication that I take at night that makes me very groggy in the morning and I haven't had any caffeine yet. :Alien:

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Don't you know, knocking "the lights out" (pun) of a candle can be applied to a human :)

If the electricity is out, you are ready for bed, and you are having a respiratory cold and cannot blow, well it may come in handy :D

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Or you can punch candle wax all over the new carpet and get grounded.

We all did it one time or another, let's not give the OP too hard of a time folks.

OP it is simply wind moving from the path of your hand, imagine slamming a door next to a candle, as far as real life application there isn't any I'm afraid. If you've an itch scratch it, light a candle and have a bash, if it doesn't go out the Likley hood is that you are pretty slow, polish up your technique work on you press ups and have another go in a couple weeks, if you've got faster it'll go out this time round. From there you are far better off practising your basic techniques, kata, shadow and bag work.