Qi, it's physics!

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by ddwk21, Aug 23, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Leaving this training method alone for the minute, what specifically about this is internal and not external? Specifically?

If you think using redirection is solely an internal style concept, you are incorrect. If you think feeling is an internal concept alone, you are incorrect.

What do you mean by instinct? Because the closest definitions I come to that is something you can train are not in the realm of internal alone.

Perception and reaction are in all MA's.

So, what is solely internal about this? And what does any of this have to do with Chi?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[​IMG]

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In all seriousness go train

No, really go and train...something, ANYTHING is better than just winging it because right now you are WAY off base

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

That's really cool. I do the same thing every class, except instead of doing it with medicine balls thrown from unscripted directions, it's with people attacking in whatever way they like.

Works great.

Serious question: How does one learn to intuitively anticipate and react to a thinking, constantly-changing opponent by training against anything else?

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

What has always been a problem with topics like this is no measures to prevent brain washing or misuse.

In martial arts we learn violence and how to hurt others, but there is an understanding of responsibility that comes with knowledge. You can even harm yourself with experimentation in martial arts.

Experimentation with Qi, whether real or not, still comes with responsibility.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Sorry, but I...I just don't follow why threads such as this garner such lavish attention here. Didn't we just devote 40 god damn pages to "the sound of Qi" or whatever nonsense last month? Isn't that enough?

I never disparage other arts because I'm too well aware of my lack of knowledge to hardly venture forth an opinion on them much less go off on a rant about any one of them but enough already.

As someone who'd really like to believe in the efficacy of meditation, the physiological effects (based on sound research methodologies) of such - its really all quite ruined for me.

Is this really all there is to internal martial arts?

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've really come to view it as some big con that was propagated by a bunch of old masters who wanted to keep younger martial artists in line by telling them that they would be able to kill the young wippersnappers using psychic energy, so they could maintain their position as badasses despite the fact they were getting older and slower.

Since that point, a bunch of people have gotten really uppity about what is essentially a series of low impact aerobic exercises because the legends say there is some sort of magic power involved, at least, that is my understanding.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, it's all there is to daft ideas about internal martial arts developed by someone who doesn't actually practise martial arts of any kind.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

People who talk about instincts and attributes usually know nothing about fighting.

10. aaradia

Well, no offense but you really don't understand at all.

No, no it isn't. Not aerobics, not magic. It is a martial art. Most every move has a (or several) martial concept behind it.

What people are getting "uppity"(your word) about is people who don't train the art throwing about a bunch of nonsense like it is a fact - when they don't even train in any "internal" arts.

Actually, no one is getting uppity. We are just dispelling myths about our martial art by discussing it. I, for one, have asked OP to explain his perceived difference between internal and external styles. Still awaiting an answer.........

11. aaradia

Once again - no, it isn't. And that is what people here are trying to dispel. Internal arts are a martial art. No more and no less.

Please don't confuse Qi Gong with Internal Martial Arts like Tai Chi Chuan or Bagua.

There is some overlap, but they are not the same thing. Qi Gong certainly has things used by all martial artists- not just internal artists. Breathing properly is a part of Qi Gong and it is a part of every martial art.

And I haven't heard anyone here say meditation has no value. I believe in meditation. I believe it has great value. I just don't think it will make me throw people back without touching them with my chi balls.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

More mystical gumph.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VF5P7qLaEQ"]'Groundhog Day' "I'm a god" scene - YouTube[/ame]

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I don't understand it because i don't believe there is anything to understand, if you think you feel something, i can't stop you from believing the hype, but in all honesty, i can't respect neijing as a concept or people who believe it exists, because it is in total disregard of the known universe and it's processes.

Further more, while i can see some martial application behind some of the exercises, a person would be much better served to devote their body to it's actual physical processes, as opposed to training to build up aspects that exist only in theory, as i have yet to see someone who practices an internal martial art exclusively who would be capable of defending themselves utilizing it.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I wonder how long it'll be before Hannibal posts a Wang video?

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The easiest way to counter it would be to ask how good he'd be if he actually just focused on the physical aspects of his training.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Asking how good someone would be at doing something completely different seems a bit futile.

Q: How good would Muhammed Ali have been at Bagua?
    A: No idea.

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So, if you can't prove something one way or the other, why bother at all?

See what i am getting at when it comes to internal training?

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, I haven't a clue what you are getting at. I get the impression that you are trying to understand something purely through other people's bad descriptions. If you want to understand what internal martial arts are about then there really is no substitute for finding a good teacher.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I don't believe the man would have anything worthwhile to teach, as every explanation i have ever seen about the concept requires faith in the existence of qi, which is a leap of faith i refuse to make, i'm of much the same opinion about sorcery, can't show me it, or properly explain where it comes from, then as far as i am concerned, they need to smell what they are shoveling.

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

TBH none of the skilled taiji guys I've trained with have ever spoke about chi in terms which imply it as anything more than visualization aiding in correct body mechanics for better power projection. Taiji guys certainly aren't the best pugilists I've ever met but they are often pretty skilled wrestlers.