Q & A page on my website

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robertmap, Jul 19, 2013.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm building a Q&A page for my website and I'd really appreciate ideas for things that I should include - both for people who haven't done martial arts before and those that have.

By the way, I only teach adults - so I don't need a "What happens if little johnny can't attend as he has to do his homework" or "Does your style teach little johnny to be a better person"... :) :) :)

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I would include the following Q&A.

How to deal with a

- jab, cross?
    - hook, or haymaker?
    - front kick, or side kick?
    - roundhouse kick?
    - single leg, or double legs?

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

MY BAD...

I didn't mean techniques - I meant the kind of 'What should I wear'; 'Will I be safe'; 'Is the instructor incredibly good looking' - kind of questions... BTW the answers are 'Anything you like'; 'Probably'; and 'YES' :) :) :)

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would include a brief description of the facilities - are there male and female changing rooms, showers, toilets etc.

'what should I wear' is a good one, as is 'what should I bring to my first class', e.g. bottle of water, towel etc.

Perhaps a brief description of the format of a class - warm up, technique work, sparring etc. Also a statement that people don't need to be fit to start training is worth putting up and the cost of lessons, whether people need to contact you before coming to a class for the first time or if they can just turn up, do you have separate sessions for beginners and more experienced folks and a timetable is always useful.

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would have the following if it was me leading on from Frodo's examples which are spot on.

What to bring and expect on my first lesson?

Do you have sparring and will I get hurt: just elaberate on levels of sparring (if applicable) and safety measures in place.

Am I to old/young to train?

Do you allow cross training? Yes or no with reasons behind it.

Do I have to bring cake ect.

Osu!

Dan93

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Obviously the cake bit is the most important part! :)

7. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

How about,

Will I get beaten up? (I know, a variation on "will I get hurt")
    How formal is it?
    Do I have to learn Chinese/Japanese?
    How long does it take to get a black belt? (We all know that's only the start, but a lot of newcomers don't.)

8. Barry Savage

Barry Savage New Member

Hey,

Take a look at my website link removed there is a beginners questions section.

These are all questions I have been asked over the years, hope it helps.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Barry, sorry, but MAP doesn't allow links to personal sites.

Once you have a few posts under your belt you'll be able to add a subtle link as a signature.

Thank you.

Simon.

10. Barry Savage

Barry Savage New Member

Sorry,

I will copy n paste them onto the site once I'm back at my computer.

My apologies!

11. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Questions like:

How long will each class be?
    What is (insert style here)? A general overview and brief history lesson can go a long way in telling your potential students what they're getting into. Doesn't have to be detailed and stuff, just enough to pique the interest and possibly entice them to do research themselves.