"Puteri Gunung Ledang"

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Monyet Nakal, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

Has anybody seen this movie? I only just recently heard of it.

Its a historical epic movie from Malaysia set in the 15th century. Its supposed to feature pentjak silat pretty prominantly. I believe it is being marketed in the west under the title "A Legendary Love."

I was just wondering if anybody in here had seen it and if so, could give a quick review of it

http://www.pglthemovie.com/

Thanks

2. pakehraja

pakehraja Valued Member

Hi Monyet nakal,
    Yes I have seen it. A pretty good movie, I mean the cinematic of it. It is a beuatiful movie, the scenery, the love story, and the beautiful language they used. But you have to have a good grasp of Bahasa Melayu to enjoy the poetic quality of the script. The English translation simply could not do justice to the script.

There are only two silat scenes in it. But my guess it, those moves and actions are typical of demonstrative aspect of silat, the seni, rather than a real silat fight would look like. I think real silat fight would not have the cinematic quality to make it good on screen. So they had to use the seni version. The second scene, with a lot of wire works, was a first effort in film I had ever seen to represent the 'batin' duel between two fighters. This type of fight are all in 'other dimension', not strange to silat world. The final effect looks more like those flying kung fu movies, so unreal. But I suppose a commendable effort to represent esoteric aspect of silat.

It was the story of admiral Hang Tuah, the legendary Malay Warrior. And puteri gunung ledang (mount ledang princess). Historically the two could not have been lovers, Hang tuah was on old man when he was sent to fetch the princess.

But I enjoy the silat demonstration I'd have to say. And one of the bad guys in the first fight was none other than Guru utama seni silat haqq Melayu in the UK, if I am not mistaken.
    Thats it for now, others may have other opinion.
    Salam
    Pakehraja