Pushup technique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Llamageddon, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

legs crossed at ankles(one foot on ground dont know what this does just something i started doing and i liked it) arms at shoulder width head faceing forward back straight of course down till chest hits ground, i do sets of 40-50

2. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

I am not sure if you are trying to make a joke by playing semantic games or if you actually find something wrong with my definition.

Clearly I meant that one should descend to the point where one's body touches the ground to finish the negative of every repetition, NOT that one should remain at the bottom of the movement for the duration of the set.

Or perhaps you are trying to suggest that it is anatomically impossible to touch one's hips (pelvis if you wish to be more specific) to the ground at the same time as one's chest. Certainly for a particular gender there are indeed some objects in the way in the pelvic region, however I'm sure that with a little imagination you can come to appreciate my meaning.

If you have legitimate discussion to offer it's usually best to just come right out with it, righty.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

OK OK, it was getting a bit of fun though. You are close, but not cigar. You said this...

I appreciate your meaning well enough. However, you should find a way to express it better.

More than half the population of the world are women. Yes, it's true. Hence, I was more thinking of 'some objects in the way in the' chest region that would make it physically impossible to touch chest and hips to the ground at the same time.

Call me pedantic, but I have a problem with people who presume to talk about something without specifying or considering gender differences.

Do you not think it may be better to define your proper pushup technique as something along the lines of keeping the back straight or correct posture drawing an almost straights line between shoulders and feet? That way we can keep chest and hips out of it.

4. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I will take a guess, chesticles!

5. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

The problem with your proposed definition (which was actually a part of mine) is that it does not address range of motion at all. I find that range of motion is usually one of the biggest issues with pushups for many (most people seem to get the idea of rigidity and so forth, even if they don't observe it diligently).

You're right - if I were trying to provide pushup guidelines to a group of total beginners (without the aid of demonstration) I would have needed to address this particular issue (obviously the general idea is 'as far down as possible given joint ROM and other physiological issues') but this was not the goal of my definition, and as you say, you understood me well enough, as I'm sure most others did.

6. Azeari

Azeari New Member

Unless you have unusually hard breast, or say E's and larger, then you should have no problem doing a push with hips/chest on the ground. I've seen enough females do them to know it's true.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I hit 36 on my last pushup rep test.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Sigh, that's not the point. Even though females can do pushups fine, the cheast (breast) will not touch the ground at the same time as the hips as stated by Freyr's original definition.
    I agree with his requirements of proper body support and posture but not the example of chest and hips touching at the same time.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What a bunch of useless crap you've interjected in this thread. Seriously.
    More time doing press ups and less time trying to be cute might suit you better.
    :bang:

I couldn't agree with you more. Press ups are the ass kicker in just about every class I teach... not because people can't do them... but because they're not used to doing them properly. As you stated... with a full range of motion. I see it all day long... people dropping the hips to touch the mats but head and shoulders stay up... more like a sprawl than a press up. Or dropping the head but keeping the ass in the air... lol.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. righty

righty Valued Member

Oh yeah, next time I decide to get people to think of both men and women when trying to define something I will think myself cute and not say anything.

Pah.

You may not think it important in such a small thing, but this is where it starts. And smacking someone on the head and saying they are wrong isn't going to change anything. You have to try and get people to think for themselves. Call me pedantic but people are talking about pushup technique are we not. For something so simple, it shouldn't be hard to create something that is equally applicable for both genders. The descriptions on the first page where excellent.

11. Azeari

Azeari New Member

Your chest would be the upper muscular area.. not the fat that makes up your breast.

12. sg516

sg516 Without ME its just AWESO

my usual routine is to do:

25 standard pushups
    45-60 sec rest
    25 incline pushups
    45-60 sec rest
    25 decline
    45-60 sec rest

3 sets

but the # of reps grows as time progresses.

but in class we do the knuckle pushups with the elbows in to isolate the tricep. i am personally not a fan of these. i am against working muscles in isolation. you train them to work in isolation they aren't as efficient when you use them in coordination.

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

That's interesting - never caused me any issues

14. sg516

sg516 Without ME its just AWESO

you should read the new rules of lifting by lou schuler and alwyn cosgrove. its a pretty good read and they talk about muscle isolation. the basic premise (and there is research to back it up, he didn't just create this) is that muscles worked in isolation perform best in isolation. for best athleticism you need to train muscle groups so that everything works together. he explains about the neural connections and whatnot. anyway, the other relevant point made about isolating muscles is that you can't (naturally) make your biceps disproportionately bigger/stronger than your back muscles and you can't make your triceps bigger/ stronger than your chest. there will always be a balance to maintain a ratio of strength/size between the larger muscles (back and chest) with the arm muscles (bis and tris). so by working your chest you are working your tris and by working your back you are working your bis. and by working them as a muscle group rather than as individual muscles they function more efficiently. the best way to think of exercises rather than what muscles it works is what activity it does. push, pull, lunge twist, lift, squat. at least thats what the book says.

it is not to imply you won't get benefit out of doing pushups this way its just not the most effective way.

sorry for being long winded.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ive been using a dowel rod to help me keep neutral spine when doing push ups. I have just been doing scap pushups because my right side was winging but thanks to the dowel it isnt any more.

Does a correct pushup involve retracting the scapulars then bending the arms then protracting the scapulars or should they be one movment?

What about pullups should i depress my scapulars then bend my arms?

It feels right to get the scapular in place then move but twisting my lumbar spine also felt good:eek:

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Im currently at Stage one Recovery program, which means I can do around 5 full proper pressups, chest to the floor before my surgery shoulder burns so bad I cant continue. givenb 5mins rest i can do it again.

In my prime condition I could do 100 of them.

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What caused your injury?

One arm one leg pushups are a goal for me. It looks a bit silly when people have there legs spread out and the body twisted.

18. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

bad dislocation taking chunks out of the bone and tearing the muscle off the bone. thats the condensed version :D

19. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It's also a daily routine for some of us. ;)

Diamond, close hand, regular and wide arm push-ups are the commonly used variations but there are many variations used in the Army. The absolute worst but the one that gave me the greatest gain are the partner assisted push-up. Get a gym towel and a buddy, have your buddy straddle you while you are in push up position with the towel around your chest, set a timer for one minute and start pushing as fast as you can with your partner giving assitance as needed. Switch and do the same with your partner. By the second set you will most likely just be laying there as your partner lifts you with the towel. Try and do three full sets :D

20. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

AHA fort cambel kentucky i just moved here maybe ile see you around the base. Back on topic the assited pushup is a pain in the **** never have liked it right now im currently doing alot of marine pushups (hands cupped over each other ) work triceps alot more but find the hurt my shoulders any one find this ?