Push ups: Goal to reach 100

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by special43543, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I want to be able to do 100+ push ups, and I was wondering how to reach that level. Currently, my max is 45. I do 1, maybe 2 sets of push ups about 4 times a week.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to reach my goal? Thanks for the advice :D

2. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Do pushups.

I know where this thread is headed too... :Alien:

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Bench pressing will help quite a bit, but the only way you'll really be able to do 100 pushups is to do loads of pushups. Why do you want to do this, anyway?

4. special43543

If you're not going to help, don't bother posting.

5. special43543

Because I plan on going to the military, and I thought it would give me an advantage.

How much is loads of push ups? Can there be too much. What would be too much in one day? Wouldn't "loads" lead to overtraining?

6. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I was helping.

How did you get to 45? Keep doing that.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm no H&F guru, I'm sure some of the H&F mods - all of whom really know their stuff - will be by shortly. My advice, in the meantime, would be just to keep doing what you're doing right now. Do you lift weights? If not, some compound lifts (particularly the bench press) would help you achieve this goal of yours.
    If you don't want to do that, just keep doing the pushups the way you are now, but don't go to failure. When you can't do anymore, you've done too many

8. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Don't just do the same pushup over and over, use variations:

Normal width
    wider than shoulder
    narrower than shoulder
    diamond
    hindu
    divebomber
    mantis
    Backarch pushup
    T-Pushup
    One handed
    Plyometric
    On a basket/medicine/ball

Plus incline, decline and on your knuckles or fingers.

Make sure you're eating right, lots of protein and fiber to cut down on the recovery time and an overall good nutritional plan.

What branch are you trying to join?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Having done some heavy bench press and dumbell press I found 40 pressups difficult yet I achieved them having not trained for endurance. At about 30 I slowed down a little and the last three were real grinds.

10. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Work your push-ups in sets like everything else. Start out with sets of 15 and do five sets, build from there.

11. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Yea, sets are good. Try this... do 4 sets of 25 with say 30-60 secs rest between sets. When the last sets start to become easier then decrease the rest time between set till you can do 'em non stop.

12. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

While you do that, also train for 100 pull ups :).

13. microhard

microhard Valued Member

My cousine does 188 straight.
    Here is his training adopted to you.
    Do 20 5 times a day. Only 3 times a week for first week.
    Second week, do Monday Wensday Friday 25, and T Th Sa- 15. 6 sets every day.
    Add a few reps per week to each day. Add one more set every two weeks.
    You should
    do 100 approximately when you can do 8 sets of 40.

He got that from some fitness guru a while back.

Good luck.

14. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I got up to 130 without too much time spent on it. I would just do 500 pushups per night, and it got me over 100 real quick. Start with 500 on a night, then wait until you are not sore for another 500 session. Then just repeat the process. Make sure you always wait until you are no longer sore.

It may take many, many sets to complete it. You may get down to 5 pushups per set. Don't worry about it. You may not even be able to finish it, in that case just keep going until you can't do another one.

Once you can do 500 in a night, start doing more pushups per set, and try to do less and less sets.

15. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

sets spread out through the day (Micro)
    or
    going up to 500 (RadoK)?

I am not sure, if someone would be able to get up to that.
    How many set's does it take you?

16. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I would do a couple sets of 50, which knocked off the first 100 right there. Then I would do sets of 25 as long as I could, then sets of ten, then a couple of 5's. Just sit there and catch your breath until you feel you can get the next set. Just push yourself through it, it is incredibly painful, but I have never found anything to increase max pushups faster.

17. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Do you do this with only push ups, or other calisthentics as well?

18. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Repetition. Starting out push-ups is all about repetition and low quantities. When I started off, I did 10 sets of 10. After a week I increased the sets to 10 of 15. I increased my reps and decreased sets, until I got to a comfortable 250 in one shot once a day. This worked for me, I don't 'lift weights' or any other "unnatural" exersize. You will probably vary.

19. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

How do you do these? I have never heard of them.

I would also like to increase my max of push ups. I don't have very good upper body strength (But typical for a girl I think).
    When I started martial arts I could barely do one set on my knees, now I can manage one set of full pushups and another on my knees. But thats taken me two years!
    Can anyone tell me the best way for developing upper body strength?

20. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

To increase your overall push-up capability just to a lot of reps. Don't worry much about the style, just start with your hands pretty much directly under your shoulders and touch your nose to the ground with each push-up. Hand-position can be fist, flat, or finger(s). Don't max yourself out. I don't how many you are counting as a set, but I'd recommend cutting the number in half and doing it 3-4 times a day if you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.