Push ups and sit ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jaded, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Jaded

Jaded New Member

I haven't posted on these forums for quite some time, and when I did it was only on the Capoeira forum. But I was wondering about the effectiveness of doing push ups and sit ups on a bed. I live in a basement where I wouldn't dream of walking around bare foot on let alone getting right down on it.

The only alternative, now room to do it really upstairs or outside, is on my bed. I was just wondering how effective a push and sit up would be on such a springy and soft surface.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying.

2. heim

heim Valued Member

well, i used to do sit ups on the edge of my bed, so only my feet were on it, and back was off, probably better than full body on matress. But, i don't see how you can't do them on a floor.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

you could put something like a blanket down on the floor.

4. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Mandatory weight promotion: Sit-ups and push-ups aren't good strength builders, and doing them at home is hardly necessary unless you are physically unable to do harder versions or bench press.

Otherwise:

No situps on the bed! It's dangerous to your spine, and lower and upper back muscles!

I'm not sure about push-ups, but doing them on a bed doesn't seem like it'd have much effect other than to purhaps put more pressure on your elbows.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmm... I guess it really depends on where you're starting from and what you're after. There are many people that can't knock out a decent set of press ups. So I don't exactly expect them to hop on the bench and start banging out bench sets either.

Some people do press ups as conditioning and not neccessarily for strength gains. Press ups have always been a staple of the boxing and Muay Thai communities because the work the shoulder and the tricep as well as the pectoral muscle.

I agree... no one is going to massive strength gains off of press ups alone. But if they are having trouble doing a solid 50... then I don't really expect them to jump onto a bench and really do much.

Again it's courses for horses.

Yeah situps on the bed don't seem to kind to the lumbar area.

This one I'm not so sure about... it seems to me that doing press ups on the bed pretty much mimics doing press ups on a med ball or on a Swiss ball - where you recruit more core to stabilize and work the balance.

Surely for all the years humans have been doing press ups someone somewhere has done a study on this. :D

Jaded:
    Unless you live in a swamp cellar I suggest you stop being lazy and get down and do your press ups. If you are looking for conditioning they're a great way to go. If you are looking for good strength gains...they're not going to have much effect... unless you are quite weak to begin with... most people are. lol... so use them to work up to the bench. Once you can knock out 15 solid nose to the ground/elbows in at side press ups.... then find a bench and start learning how to use resistance training to your advantage.

6. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Why not get an exercise mat, or just a rug of some type for the floor?

7. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

you live in a room that you wouldnt want to touch the floor of...

Clean your room you minger! lol

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Dont be a sook. Concrete floors are the best place for pushups, hell do jumping plyomectric knuckle pushups if you are feeling badass ;).