Push kick

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Joe karate, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I'm always seeing the term push kick being thrown around, especially with MT guys. What is it. Excuse my ignorance, maybe i do it but call it another name.

Is it like a front kick?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes- sort of.

Teep - is a push kick or foot jab. There are several ways to do it but the "push kick" version is a high knee chamber then a strong push out - extending the hip. It's used mainly for creating space.

3. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

it's also a great set up for a low kick

4. Cain

Cain New Member

I probably use this.....

what is the striking point for the push kick?

Thanx,

|Cain|

5. YODA

The ball of the foot usually. Though there is a nasty variation using the toes to "peck".

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

yeah and if the guys to heavy you can use the push kick to bounce away from him

7. YODA

Tigger styleee :D

Bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy :D

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Whoa!

Last time I 'pecked' accidently I felt like I had lost my toe

I use the ball of the foot, thought it would be diff by smashing...

|Cain|

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

use ur ball of the feet not toe, cain...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Cain

Cain New Member

|Cain|

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Unless you have shoes on! ;)

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

then wat did ya forget?? turning ur toe upwards while hitting??
    oh u "pecked" with ur toe... well there's big chance that u must hav hitten bony area... pecked is for balls or for soft target places...
    we do a kick(DolyoChogki) with ball of feet in which we even hav to break multiple boards(hey tosh much hav done that, he's experienced with breakings)
    just make sure u don't peck with toe, but with ball of feet...
    -TkdWarrior-

13. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

OK, thanks

14. alekto

alekto New Member

OK...

Teap is a generic word used for the front kick.... (actually the word Dtae means kick, but is used to describe the Thai round kick)

Teap comes in a few forms, based aropund the same idea - raise the knee up as high as possible before pushing the leg out in a thrusting (almost jab like) movement. This can be leading leg or rear leg. Some people step before throwing this kick, however, I prefer to throw the kick and slide forwards on the supporting leg as this offers less 'telegraphing' of the technique.

striking can be either with the ball of the foot or as more of a stomp using the whole foot for power.... the target depends on the objective and reaction needed. Low in the abdomen tends to bend your opponent over, setting up for another technique - uppercut punch (Mat) or a knee (kao).... it doesn't create much space as the opponents abdomen absorbs the motion.

alternatively the kick can be aimed towards the chest, this kick unbalances the opponent and he should stubble back, creating lots of space for a strong second attack, normally a Dtae.

Showing the bottom of you foot in Thailand is a big insult, so the kick is not thrown towrds the face very often, if you do this, then you are being very insulting indeed, in the western world, it can be effective for bringing an opponents guard up.

A few twists on the Teap include:

Teaping with the toes up into the arm pit nerves, this works well if your opponent has a long guard or leaves his jab 'out to dry'

Neb - a very long teap using the lead leg, the idea is to make contact with the ball of the foot, before applying a twist of the hips (and therefore the foot), this drills the foot into the abs of your opponent and can be very painful - if done properly this should leave a a 'twirl' on the skin of the opponent.

Is that OK for my first post?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  15. Cain

Cain New Member

Welcome to the forums alekto :D

And yeah, that's a pretty good first post :eek:

|Cain|

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've got trouble visualing this, is it something like a kansetsu geri (side kick) or is it more to the front like a mae geri (forward kick)?

17. Cain

Cain New Member

I would say it's a mae geru [front kick] where you bring your knee up as high and then 'thrust' it out to your target, it's one my favourites :D

PS - Hope I did'nt get the wrong picture on the push kicks :eek:

|Cain|

18. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

It looks kinda like the kick that the police use for kicking in doors.

19. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm, they lean back too much when doing that

I thrust my hips forward when doing this kick...

|Cian|

20. Pestlett

Pestlett New Member

Im saying nothing that hasnt been said but the ways I throw the teep depend on the situation. If it is near the end of the round and I want to wind my opponent, instead of raising my leg and pushing and twisting my hip to move my opponent away, I snap it up to his stomach (just where the top of his shorts are) with my toes curled and pointing towards where its going to hit him, this really take the wind out of you, but the main use of the teep is to keep your opponent at distance and or to set up a kick, flying knee etc....
    Also leaning back has a purpose as well as providing a little more twist when you throw the teep, it stops you from damaging your back, because its quite painful (well for me anyway) twisting while my back is straight.