Purpose of Concentration Techniques

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by JOEKER, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JOEKER

JOEKER Valued Member

In many of the forms taught in the tkd school I attend, there are what we call concentration techniques. These are techniques that are slowed down and take about 3 - 5 seconds to perform. My instructors provide some explanation, and I have personally seen some purpose to them.

My question is what do you think the purpose of concentration techniques in forms are?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you're talking about slow motion movements in patterns then the usual explanation is that they're so you can clearly demonstrate the elements of the theory of power with speed removed.

mitch

3. FirstAction

FirstAction Student of Life

Perhaps it is done in order to break down the move so concentration of technique can be applied to parts of each 'move'

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I would agree with Mitch, and add that sometimes it's also to make you focus on both balance and power, and working your entire body into the performance of the technique (which you should be doing anyway, but slowing it down REALLY makes it obvious if you're not).

5. liero

liero Valued Member

There are some WTF poomsae where the slow moves are deliriously unneccesary though I imagine your not talking about them?

Although I think that the mix of fast movements and incredibly slow technique makes the patterns more appealing to watch

6. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

But isnt speed part of the TOP!! Possibly the most important part!

More likely they are slow because they were also slow when in their Karate counterpart Katas 9and prior to that slow in the Okinawan versions)... mostly, this means that the application (in its proper guise) is dangerous to perform at full speed (ie. harder to control) and thus should be practiced slowly, with caution, for safety.

Stuart
    Ps. I know the standard explanations given, just dont really agree with them :)

7. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

"Perhaps it is done in order to break down the move so concentration of technique can be applied to parts of each 'move". As First Action says here you can analyze each part of the move to see if any improvements are needed.
    Sometimes you illustrate it really slow so your students can see the proper positioning of the foot, hand, etc., like Mitch says.
    Other times you might do it slow to develop balance, as it is much harder to do a slow kick while keeping your balance. I use this method with my forms competitors, for instance, on a triple kick.
    Other times you use it to develop leg strength. Try to do ten snap kicks or side kicks very slowly without dropping your leg and see how hard it is. It is like lifting weights slowly--it builds strength very effectively. There are lots of reasons for doing it slow.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm not sure I fully buy this. Common bunkai (I say common only in that it is in both Stu A's book and Iain Abernethy's work) for a simple reverse/obverse punch is a head twist neck break/crank. A pretty severe and potentially injurous technique.
    And yet it's rare for a simple reverse/obverse punch to be done slowly in patterns.
    In fact given the severe nature of a lot of bunkai whole katas would end up being done slowly. :)
    Tai chi anyone?

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

While I agree (in the main) when it comes to both TKD and Shotokan kata.. I have a suspicion that if we were able to actually look at the Okinawan bunkai (which is impossible as all the records were razed in the bombing of okinawa), then thats how it would work. This stuff I feel, has been carried onwards, without the full picture.

These days we find multiple bunkia/Boon Hae for techniques, but I have a sneaky suspicion that back then 1 combo = 1 application (pre-heian days) and thats where the slow mo bit was important. Occasionally, we may stumble upon the totally original app for one of these moves, but sadly we`ll never know for sure, some just seem to fit (like the palm pressing block elbow break I have in my book - a slight mis-calculation at full speed means a snapped arm.. where as the neck crank, whilst dangerous is actually fairly easy to train full speed as we can slip out hands off before it hits a dangerous point - if you see what I mean).

Anyways, horses for courses, thats what I feel!

Stuart

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Aye. Well put.

11. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

"If you're talking about slow motion movements in patterns then the usual explanation is that they're so you can clearly demonstrate the elements of the theory of power with speed removed."
    mitch

Ok now I am only referring to the slow motion in the original Korean TKD set of forms devised by Gen Choi & his soldiers under his command. There are no concentration techniques in any of his Tuls (patterns). One must concentrate on each movement, as required for the theory of power demands, which is needed to produce maximum power. So while the ITF Tuls do not have anything like you describe, they do have different motions usually concerning the speed of how a technique or series of moves are performed.
    Slow motion appears 1st in the 6th pattern called Chung Gun Tul. The purpose of slow motion is too emphasize the coordintation of the movement of the eyes, hands, feet & breath. The 9 parts of the Training Secret of TKD requires that the hands, feet, breath & eyes move in a single coordinated move. Slow motion teaches or emphasizes this important training secret. Slow motion also allows the viewer to see the beauty & agility gained through TKD training. Finally it helps to reinforce the notion that an attacker may also use different speeds when on the attack, slow the defender must be able to adapt in their respective responses

12. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I can't speak for the ITF forms as I don't know them.

However, several of the Kukkiwon black belt forms have slow concentrated techniques, whether inside the form or as opening movements. These techniques are performed slowly and with great muscle concentration as a way to emphasize isometric conditioning. The desirted effect is overall physical conditioning due to the isometric effect. During the movements (opening action of Koryo, Diamond Blocks of Kumgang etc.), literally every muscle in your body is directed to become strong during the action.

This goes along with one of the primary goals of forms: making your body stronger. These isometric actions are extremely difficult, seldom done well, and designed to condition your overall physical fitness.

13. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Yes, I agree fully with the fitness/strength purpose to this.

14. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Ok I also must state that I do not know the KKW forms. However my question is: Is your reply above the official KKW dictate, or just the way you were taught or how it was explained to you?
    Is it explained this way in the Official KKW Textbook?
    I have this book, but am not sure it says this. Can you please expand?
    thanks

15. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

My answer reflects the answers as they were explained to me. For the record, my instructor is 9th Dan Kukkiwon. So it's not like I have no experience with these forms.
    As far as I know, the Kukkiwon would say the same thing as far as concentration and isometric application of various techniques.

16. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I think Stuart is on to something, but what about kicks that are slowed down? Clearly we are not doing armbar type techniques. Can these be traced to Shotokan?

17. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Thanks & no problem. I am a believer that one must follow their instructor. I was trying to find out if what you posted was the KKW world standard AND if it was outlined that way or explained as such in their official KKW Textbook. So do you have their Official Text?
    If so, does that direction or instruction given by your instructor appear there?

18. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Comparing early karate books with the 1st ones on TKD written by Gen Choi, from 1959 forward, will reveal that many more kicks were added by the Koreans, but remained interested in reading what Mr. Anslows thoughts & research reveals o this tpic, as wel as what others have found ut as well. Good question!

19. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

Interestingly, while ITF forms have slowed down kicks, the Kukkiwon forms do not. My guess is that the Kukkiwon forms approach kicks from a practical standpoint. Slowed down kicks are designed to work various muscle groups and be aesthetically pleasing, while the Kukkiwon forms view this as something you do independently. Slow kicks would have no realistic application. My guess anyway.

While I do not have Kukkiwon textbook, I have looked through it (not easy to do since it is in Korean). But various interpretations and answers my Instructor has given me say the same thing: the concentration techniques are designed to isometrically work your whole body.

20. angry

angry Valued Member

Slow kicks are great for training balance and control. I make my students perform poomse slowly quite often to encourage focus and balance. Nothing applicable outside of training but can make you kicks better.