Punching unconscious

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Reakt, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I always thought it was a shot above the eye where the skull's thinnest but the jaw ight be better judging by the other replies

2. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

Look at the book bunkai jutsu, by iain abernethy. It has almost 2 dozen good points on the head alone. :D

3. Nii

Nii Valued Member

So does a choke or punch do more permanent damage? It's kind of worrying hearing about all these permanent effects from a knockout, be it brain damage or blindness. Maybe I should stop sparring... Accidents can happen =/

A friend of mine also told me that getting punched cleanly in the head 3 times will cause a very slight, but permanent damage. Is this true?

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I don't know exactly how it works, but I've seen someone knocked out by a strike to the neck. It came straight in, hit just to the side of the throat, and basically just blew through to come out the back. (didnt obliterate the guy's neck, just smashed the muscle and all out of the way) His legs pretty much unhinged. He was up again before he settled on the ground, but it was apparent from the way he dropped and talking to him after that he was unconscious for a moment. Maybe the hit to all the blood vessels on that side pumped more blood than the brain could handle for a moment or it backed things up for an instant. I have no idea.
    Either way striking above the eyes isnt such a good idea in my experience. I've heard plenty of stories about a broken eye socket but none of them involve unconsciousness. I've personally had mine fractured by thrust from a badly padded, worn out sparring weapon. (think a fiberglass pipe with some tape on the tip. At one time there was padding, but the edge of the pipe had sheared through it completely.) I never experienced any disorientation or unconsciousness, it just hurt. A lot. When the fracture let air from my sinuses under my eyelid I figured something was up and went to the hospital. Soo yeah. Other than simply rocking the brain around, striking there isnt likely to do a lot.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

oops got that bit wrong then. A neck strike wouldn't do it by hitting the arteries in the neck would it?

6. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I'm reading a anatomy book that says , When the head recieves a blow( trama) the brain is surrounded in fluids and that it won't help with the shock absorbtion. So basically the brain which is floating around in the skull in fluid is struck the brain is slammed into the back of the skull, causing dizzyness, when the brain bounces of the back of the skull then the brain is slammed into the front of the skull, the double trama causes nerve overload causing you to become unconsious.

a strike to the neck is very dangerous and should not be attempted my new ar amature students, because the strike, in this case will use a shuto or "karate chop", can cause a temperary closing of the curordic ( not sure if that's spelled correctly) which stops blood flow to the brain. causing you to pass out. the danger however arises when the blow causes nerve and spinal alinement injury. the spine can be shocked and brusied which is VERY dangerous!

a choke can be applied to either the wind pipe or the arteries. the windpipe choke simply stop air flow to the brain, a artery choke causes the blood flow to stop to the brain.

When I teach my students the choke I apply a artery choke, because once you let it go the arteries open back up, where as a wind pipe choke can collapes the wind pipe causing death if not properly taken care of in a hospital!

If you hold the artery choke long after your opponent taps you can cause serious brain injury if not instint DEATH!

SO my advice is to not be afraid to spar, just use justified force! no dirty or dangerous tactics in a friendly sparring match.

after reading Bunkai Jutsu and my anatomy book, I got a sick feeling in my stomach, not as to what can be afflicted on me, but what I can afflict on someone else. I CAN'T LIVE WITH THAT TYPE OF GUILT!

SO ONLY USE YOUR MARTIAL ARTS KNOWLEDGE ONLY IF YOU HAVE TO!
    That's serious type of damage I mean.

As humans we can deliver a incredible amout of damage to one another,
    but can only recieve a little in return!

I hope this helps!
    :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  7. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Nice post silver! That is word for word what my boxing coach use to say, ha! Say do you know him or something. :D

Now you can see why boxers keep the head in the tuck, it stop most of the possible knockouts.

The need to hit so hard on straight on shots(chin) to me is why I never trained that one style of punch when I boxed as a young kid. It seems the easier knock out is the one to the side of the chin, I think it depends on your body type and strength as a person what will be more favorable.

8. AirbornRanger93

AirbornRanger93 New Member

a good place would be in the gallbladder meridian in the flank of the head, just make sure not to break your opponents neck when you do it, this can be easily done by ignorance of where you're hitting.

9. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Knee to temple.

They might die though if you hit them REALLY hard or more then once.
    But hey, I garuntee they'll be sleeping.

10. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

8 second choke

[​IMG]

and no it is not me in the vid ;)

11. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

oh oh did i just broke the forum :p

here's a funny one

[​IMG]

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pint of the chin or jaw hinge.

Or back of the head (just above the neck) if you can do spinning hook kicks that high :D

13. flyingplant

flyingplant Valued Member

Perhaps this has been said already but I didn't feel like reading 4 pages of replies. As far as I understand it, the way the skull is physically built allows it to take straight-on blows, such as jabs and straights, fairly easily. Turning the skull, such as by way of hooks or what have you, does much more damage to the brain.
    Targeting the chin serves two fold: 1) there isn't much muscle to flex and absorb the impact, 2) the chin serves as a lever of sorts, allowing much more torque to be applied and rattling the brain inside the skull, causing a knockout.