Punching Power

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by B.Y.O.B., Apr 8, 2006.

1. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

I heard a average pro boxer is able to punch up to 900 pds of pressure. I want to know is it true or not?

And last time when I punched those arcade punching meters, my score was about 787 or 870 I forget, so does those count as knowing my punching power?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

who cares, and no

3. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

OK can I get a answer from someone who has experience in boxing?

4. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Careful where you tread BYOB...

Think what you're saying through first. You're relying on an arcade machine to gauge your punching power. THAT is where you pretty well lost the attention of anyone who may reply.

Welcome to MAP. t3h flames are hotterest here.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its irrelevant. Sonny Liston hit like a truck and still got beaten by Ali. styles make fights, not arbitrary punching power-o-meters you find at the spring fair. i for one cant say ive really heard much about how many pounds of pressure a boxer can create with a punch (probably because as i said not many people care) but im going to bet that if they did they would use something a little more precise than a game at an arcade.

and what makes you think i dont know anything about boxing?

6. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

I read that a boxer can punch 900 pds of pressure thats what I want to know, and there was a punchin matter that said boxer 900 points so I'm guessing what I read was true.

7. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

everything has pretty much been covered, but in case you're not convinced, i've played 2 different punching games. they were both on 1000 point scales. on one of them i got in the low 900's, on the other i got in the low 600's. so no, they're definitely not accurate measures of punching power.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

which boxers, where, study undertaken by who, etc etc :)

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

you already did. here's another one:

who cares, and no.

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I may be wrong but I would seriously doubt it.

Their arm would explode upon impact! Don't think a human wrist would be capable of withstanding that much impact. Some of that pressure comes back at them mind.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

ALL of the pressure will be experienced by the hand, the wrist, the elbow and the shoulder. If you hit somebody X hard, all of those parts of your body will experience X force.

12. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

so if thats the case punching with 900 pounds of pressure should at least crack if not break something on the puncher right?

13. Freeform

I don't know, it would depend on the yield stress of bone, ligament and cartilage.

I've done some number crunching (I'm an Engineer) and a simplified model of my ankle can take 26kN/m2 (jumped up and down on one leg), I've simplified it so I'm under-rating my ankle (it can take more).

This seems far to big. I'm off to find out the UTS of healthy bone :)

14. GoldenTiger

If I am correct it takes around 1000 pds of pressure to crush a car. So he is 100 pounds short of crushing metal cars with his power. That could kill a human. I don't know if that number is right though.

15. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

But that may be constant pressure. A proper punch is quick in-quick out, so the maximum amount of pressure would occur for only a split second.

16. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Given that the claim makes little sense, you can write it off as such.

Let's just say pro fighters generally can hit very hard, generally much harder then people who are not pro fighters.

17. Freeform

AAHHH!!!! Kiddie on physics!!! :eek:

Right, when we're taking about pressure, it depends on the contact area as well as the force behind the punch. So less area = more pressure.

As to the car thing, if you're applying enough force to deform a vehicle body panel, it doesn't matter how long it's applied for, the panel will deform. Well, the length of time does matter but only when you start looking at deformation patterns and Finite Element Analysis.

It turns out we have a bag of human bones in the workshop (seriously, they were donated for 'Science experiements'), I'll have to find out who owns them (that poses a metaphysical question in itself ;) ) and see if they can tell me the yield stress. Although the maximum force permissable by a human would be less than this probably (due to soft tissue).

18. GoldenTiger

well you learn something new everyday

19. Song1

Song1 New Member

this thread has become quite useful afterall.

20. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

Well believe or not a boxer can punch higher than 900 pounds of pressure.