punching form

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by gutshot, Sep 29, 2003.

1. gutshot

gutshot New Member

How do you guys punch?

My trainer has me punch like this..

shoulder high during the punch..

most of your weight on the leg oposite the arm your punching with, right arm left leg etc...
    the leg that corresponds with your punching arm twists on the ball of you r foot and you really turn your hips into the punch.

I was wondering if anyone punches different..

I watched my english teacher (3rd Dan taekwondo) give a taekwondo class and besides the fact that their pucnhes are different becuase their guard is lower cause theres no punches to the face they dont twist into it so much as i do...

any thoughts?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Lots of different punching styles. The one you are describing is just one way to box. It depends on the boxing/fighting style and on the specific punch.

For instance, there are different types of footwork. The boxing you are describing focuses on the body rotation for the punches power. There are other styles of punching where the power is derived from maximizing forward momentum (stepping forward at angles as you punch).

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Above already explain a bit about punches so wont bother. Boxer got high guard because all they need to protect is there upper body which is waist and above. Shoulder level guard is more well rounded, this cover anything below your waist as well. Plus is more of a relaxe stands that provides more mobility.

4. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

that's exactly how i train, turn the hip into every attack, and turn the foot slightly outward.... after training like this for a while you probably won't want to go back to any other method, and you'll find your punches loose and snappy because they rely on the body for power, not just the arm....

a very JKD/western boxing approach... but a good method in my opinion... even when stick fighting i have my heel up and turn into the attack...

what type of school are you training at -

have fun with it,
    joe

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

We're also taught to turn our hips into the punch, along with the turn of the foot. We punch at different levels though. Basic punch is done from hip with a step foreward

With the boxing style fighting we're taught we don't step foreward but we do turn our hips and turn our foot. These punches are done from the general boxing guard of the hands up near your head with the elbows down and a slight lean in towards the opponent

Edit:
    *Sorry didn't notice it was in the Kickboxing forum, I do Hapkido, still it shows similarites in punching styles*

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  6. gutshot

gutshot New Member

Im not sure what you mean by what kind of school...
    My class is full contact kickboxing bt since most of the people in the class want to do kickboxing its essentially a kickboxing class with low kicks and everything.(The actual class thats called kickboxing is earlier in the day when most people are at work/school, so eventually the full contact class became a kickboxing class too i guess)

The classes are in the basement of a gym in madrid, the gym belongs to my trainer and basically the street level floor is a weight lifting area and in the basement the floor is coered by a giant judo mat. They teach various other martial arts classes there too with different instructors. My instructor only teaches the kickboxing and full contact classes and i think he does some personal training stuff too(eitherway he has a certification for that hanging near the entrance).

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

The punching style you have described sounds like what I have been taught is a "European" style of boxing. The fighter stands upright and the power of the punches are derived from hip/shoulder/feet rotation.

There are style of punching that focus on simply turning the shoulder into the punch. For instance, I understand that the old-style of Muay Thai (before International Boxings influence took hold) used this style of punching.

American style boxing derives a lot of its power from short explosive forward bursts, moving at angles to your opponent. For instance, if I were to throw a left jab, I would step at an angle forwards and to my left while leaning my upper body towards my opponents left shoulder. If I threw the left hook, I would move my torso over my right leg (rotating the left leg slightly and straightening it) and aiming towards the plane created by my opponents left shoulder. (hard to describe on paper, but it would make more sense if you could see it)

In a nutshell, you are being taught a very legitimate, tried & true boxing system. Just bear in mind that there are many other boxing systems and you need to keep an open mind when confronted with a style that is unfamiliar to you.

Brooks (Khun Kao)

8. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Shoulder up, shoulder down, vertical fist, horizontal fist....they can all be good or bad.

It can depend on what else you are doing with the punch.
    Example your left vs his right....
    If im on the inside I want chin down / shoulder up with the horizontal fist (maybe past horizontal) to deny his right hand access.
    If Im on the outside I like vertical fist so my arm again denies him access to the target (me).

If any of you do Wing Chun that outside is "cut sector"...I use the same idea on the inside. Sometimes its called sliding leverage punch.

If your not doing anything but hitting the position of the fist depends on distance.
    Up close horizontal (palm up...Karate's kazami).
    As you punch further from your body the fist rotates...3/4, vertical, 3/4, horizontal an even all the way to inverted.

Jeff