Punching bag weight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MajesticB, Oct 18, 2005.

1. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

Quick question, I searched for the answer, but couldn't come up with a definitive one. If this has been posted before, my bad. But anyways...

What would be a good weight to start out for a punching bag? And what type. I am not too sure what the purpose of different types are. I.E. The kind tethered to the roof, and the kind tethered to the roof and the floor.

I was thinking maybe a 60lb one tethered to both roof and floor? I have taken ~1.5 years of kempo awhile back, now I am getting back into martial arts. I am 5' 8" 135lbs if that helps out.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not sure if there is a definitive weight as such, depends on what you want it for.

I think the ones tethered top and bottom tend to be on elastic and used for speed training rather than general bagwork, the boxers on here may knoe better.

Personally I use a hanging, long bag to let me practise kicks to all sections as well as hand techniques. That also means it's quite heavy, which is useful for conditioning (to some extent) and gives you a better workout. You can also use it for practicing close in work, pushing against it as you might against someone in a clinch.

Others may of course have different/better ideas.

Cheers,
    Mitch

3. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

If this is your first bag I think you should go with a regular 100lb heavy bag or a banana bag. These are the best. Later on if you feel like it you can get more specialized bags with tethers and other doo-hickeys.

4. Pyro

Pyro New Member

yeah big banana bag that feels like a bag of cement (powder) to hit is good for kicks punching, everything.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i'd also suggest to buy the normal one. do you have the possiblity at home (or where you want to put it) to install it in such a way that it hangs from the celing? i myself don't really like those standing bags.

6. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

A heavy bag should be around 2/3 of your own weight. You say you are about 135lbs. than your heavybag should weigh about 90 lbs.

I myself have a heavybag of 120cm haging from the ceiling. It is god for punching (fist, elbow, underarm) and kicking (front-, side- and roundhouse aswell as knee and heel- of back kicking)

Good luck

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Heavy bags are great fun and have many uses read here for more details.

http://lannamuaythai.com/cgi-bin/s?c=0&u=0000pr02l0004ce_training__bag_work.html&m=340545490000000

and here

http://www.stumptuous.com/heavybag.html

As for the starting weight and style I'd go with a banana bag at 120 lbs. You can grow into this bag without hurting yourself. However is money is an issue go with a boxers 100 bag. The banana bags are designed for working low kicks and working punches where as the square bags are designed for punching, but you can work high kicks on them.

By the way that bag that's tied off to the ceiling and the floor is called a Double-End bag and is used to work slips and rolls. Keeps you moving. See one here.

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25058

8. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll go with your standard 100lb bag.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin