Punching and Blocking Drills for Kuk Sool

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Nov 17, 2005.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I've read a bit of the crosstraining thread and thought that it might be good for us to share some ideas about punching and blocking. That is drills that we could do that would help in punching, blocking or both.

I have one that I like. Two people stand facing each other, inside of the others gate, i.e. same foot forward and lead foot of each partner is on the same line. You need to be close enough to be in correct range for an uppercut.

The drill is simple, trade punchs back and forth with your partner, one punch at a time. I think it is good to focus on range and structure before you worry about speed, but that is just my opinion. You could choose to limit the types of punches you do at first, but eventually you should be able to get up to all hand strikes. When I do the drill, the attacker is not allowed to move his feet, but the defender is free to move as he chooses. This allows for nice randomization between blocks, parries and evasions. If the defender moves he should move back into his original position before striking.

When you get good at the basic drill add in feints, combos, and counterattacks.
    If the drill sounds scary, then start out real slow and gradually increase the pace.

Please share some of your ideas.

2. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I have a blocking and kicking drill...

Two people face each other, one in left guarding stance, the other in right guarding stance. The attacker in Kong Kyuk Jah Seh executes a spin back kick. The defender in Bang Uh Jah Seh cross blocks the kick down and steps back into Kong Kyuk Jah Seh. The defender then executes a spin back kick as the initial attacker defends the kick with a downward cross block/back step/spin kick combo. Start the cycle slow and speed up as you feel the tempo of the kicks quicken. It's a great drill for increasing reaction time.

3. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

One great training Exercise that I picked up when I was young (in taeKwonDo):

Partners kneel on the floor, facing each other, knees touching (wearing hand gear)

Then take turns being attacker/defender... Attacker throws full/moderate force punches at the defenders face/chest while the defender blocks.

Because the defender can't move away, and if he misses the block he gets hit ^_^ This drill helped me overcome my fear of people moving in close on me (which I've noticed still bothers a lot of my Dojang-mates in Kuk Sool). It also helps you react in less time than you would have in normal sparring conditions.

4. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

This one sounds good, though I'm afraid I don't have any sparring gloves to carry it out with... maybe if we just go barehanded with less force...

5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

When we freestyle spar we don't use gloves, we just try to slap the opponents forehead or chest. It only works if both people agree to exercise control over the strikes.

6. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

Just start out slow and don't aim for the nose or throat ^_^;;;

7. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Even though I'm no longer with the organization, I hope you don't mind if I weigh in.

What your describing sounds a lot like what we call "shoulder tag" in MMA, which is supposed to teach you the basics of boxing before you start sparring. We'll often times play shoulder and knee tag, obviously instead of the shoulders and knees, you're doing this with foreheads or chests.

I think this is a very beneficial excercize, but it really isn't a substitute for sparring - and by that I mean, when you put on gloves and go at it, even in timing, there's a totally different feel. There are certain skills that you simply can't train this way - however if the club and students don't have the propper equipment, that's probably about all you can safely do.

Honestly, though, I think one of the best things you can do is to grab a pair of gloves and some focus mitts/thai pads and drill combos. You can make them more and more complex as you get better, but start out simple.

There are endless benefits to simply practicing jabbing over and over again into a focus mitt for about 5 minutes (while moving around dynamically, of course), doing pushups, then doing more jabs. Your arm will feel like it's giong to fall off by the time you're done, but if you do your punches well, you'll be that much better when you're done.

Good practicle combos, I think, are the lifeblood of any standup art. Drilling those - and doing some where your partner actively responds by taking a (light) swing at you with the focus mitt, is probably one of the best things you can do with your time while drilling.

Oh, and something that's really underrated, but also really useful - shadow boxing. Pretend you're in a fight with someone, and go at it. Actually visualizing the opponent is important, though, from what I've heard.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  8. JSun

JSun Valued Member

AZ, your opinion and tips are as valued as any one else's on this forum regardless if you're a member of an association or not.

I only mentioned this drill because Baubin posted she didn't have any hand gear available. We don't use it in KS. I practice this with a group of guys I work out with outside of the association. It's not only good for timing, but also distance training. When we drill it, the point is to block with the left, while simultaneously striking with the right. As soon as you block, you hop to the right and strike through the open door your opponent has left during their attack with their right hand. Drill it to the right, then switch directions. This makes the participants rotate in a circle, remaining in striking distance, but constantly having to block and time the strike, as well as focus on the foot work. You're right, though, it's no substitution for having someone take a serious poke at your head.

I'm not sure if shadow boxing is underrated, at least not in my book. I practice it quite a bit.

Combinations are definetly important to drill. I like to work on setting up punching/kicking combos and finishing techniques. I mean, if you're close enough to punch someone, you're in shooting/trapping range. I don't think we train this enough at our dojang, at least not yet. It's just something I work on in my own time with friends.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Everyones opinion is welcome in my book.

I have another idea to share.

Stand in front of a heavy bag, with feet together but one natural step from being able to jab.

Do it on the right side first.
    Start with both hands naturally hanging at your side.
    Step forward with your right foot and punch with the right hand. It is important that your hand makes no extra motions, i.e. a straight line from were your hand is hanging to the target.
    At the same time you punch with the right hand, lift the left hand up to guard your face.
    Punch with left hand, right hand comes back to guard face.
    Punch with right hand, left hand comes back to guard face.

Pause briefly with both hands guarding face. Step back and repeat on left side.

And that is it.

I think this excercise is useful because in a self defense situation there will be no bell telling you when to lift your hands. This trains you to attack from a neutral stance.