Punch to kick ratio

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Caleb Demarais, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Anyone tell me what the split between punches and kicks in a typical kickboxing system is? Buddy of mine puts it at 50:50 (punches:kicks) or 40:60 for good kickers. But from the clips I've seen on the Holy Grail of video evidence that is YouTube, the numbers for kicks seem higher. In TKD I'd put it around 10:90.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Certain kickboxing bouts mandate a minimum kick rule.
    Dunno if that helps.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on if it's punches/kicks thrown, or punches/kicks landed.

4. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I would never seperate kicks from punches, if you just think in those terms then you won't do workable combinations. I used to throw a left jab then if the guy moved back he would be in place for a left roundhouse or side kick with a big right roundhouse to follow. If he stayed when I jabbed then I would throw a right cross then a left hook, by doing that I would be dictating the fight. One thing that I learned from a Thai boxer if a guy goes to fire a kick and you can slam your hands down on his guard hands then he will stop the kick. This guy only used kicks when the his opponent was hurt by punches or moving off punches , but never to instigate .although of course that is still an option.

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

It really depends on the kickboxer, with certain trends dependent on their style/competition ruleset/sparring rules etc.

6. tdparisi83

tdparisi83 New Member

It depends what you're comfortable with. I personally believe in keeping it balanced, but it comes down to conditioning, your level of training, and your opponent.

If you have fast hands, but slow powerful kicks, you will want to save those for your KO's, and you will be more like 90/10 punches to kicks.

If you train kick combos, then you will be closer to 50/50.

Kicks also use more energy and can wind you faster, so if your cardio is lower, you may want to shift that as well.

There is no magic number. It's about how comfortable you are with your combos, how you set them up, and how well your opponent reacts to them.