punch bags and gloves help

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by murphyg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

hi
    ive been doing kickboxing for a while now and have just goten my orange belt. i have been wanting to purchase a bag for a while now but im completly stuck on which 1 to get. ive been looking at Tao punch bags, just the normal leather ones. i dont know whether i should get 4ft, 5ft or 6ft? i want to practise both my punches and kicks on it.
    Also ive been reading about having to use gloves andi was wandering what gloves every1 else uses?
    cheers

2. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

A 6 foot one would be cool, then you can practice some higher kicks. And as far as gloves, i dont use them.

3. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

congratulations on getting your orange belt.

I also would like to buy a bag to practice on, but unlucky for me I'm pushed for space so can't get one yet. :(

4. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I’ve just purchased an excellent leather punch bag from Icon Martial Arts (check the Google ad at the top of the page, if it’s not shown the address is www.iconmartialarts.com)

The bag I got was the Cowhide Leather Punch Bag 130 cm that came with a free pair of gloves and hanging chains. (I’ve always had excellent service from Icon)

The gloves are OK, but to be honest I’m going to pick up a new pair from this years Seni in Birmingham where I can try a pair on before purchase - www.senishow.com

P.S. sorry, I forgot to say congratulations on getting your orange belt.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Dont bother with the gloves, it will make your wrists stonger without them.

As far as heavy bags go, make sure that it is the right weight for you. If you are going to be kicking it, then make sure that it is very heavy, hardly swings when you hit it. As you progress your bag will swing more and its time to weigh it down some more.

Check at your local sports shop and see what they recommend you. The best bet would be to ask your instructor what one he sudgests.

6. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

How so?

7. NaughtyKnight

You have to stabalise your wrist or risk it getting broken.

Try it out. Whenever I make others punch without gloves, they always bitch at first of how it hurts there wrists. I tell them "well unless your going to use gloves when some burke is mugging you, then stop bitching".

8. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

Yeah ok and can understand that but surely your putting yourself at risk of really damaging your wrist at least until there abit stronger?

9. NaughtyKnight

Mate, I have never worn gloves in any fight, or any training session ever. I only wear them when I spar in JKD, so I dont injure my poor sparing partner.

Guess if you dont want to go full pelt, you could always gradually build up. :rolleyes:

10. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

cheers for the advice
    so u think that a 6 ft leather bag would be best and that i should ask my instructure. ill do that before i buy anything.

11. NaughtyKnight

Yep 6ft is definatly the best bet. You can practise your spinning hook kick on it, and also all your other high and fly kicks.

Ask your instructor for good brands and you should be set.

12. b33p

b33p New Member

A four footer works just as well.. al you do is kick a little higher // ^_^

13. Hidden_Dragon

Hidden_Dragon New Member

Buy gloves. I use gloves on my punchbag and though you can strenghten your wrist with them the first times you might not get a proper work out you can also work on punching technique and power and speed of punches with gloves on . You can always take gloves off at the end of your session to strengthen your wrists.

14. NaughtyKnight

Whats the fun in that. Its good to know that if you screw up, your going to be in some serious pain. Only way to perfect technique I feel.

15. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

i found my punching technique and power went up a lot when i stopped using mitts... they get in the way - i find them really annoying - plus my knuckles would always be messed up when i sparred without them, because they were so unconditioned.

16. NaughtyKnight

Damn straight, screw gloves.

17. Hidden_Dragon

Hidden_Dragon New Member

Injuries tend to hinder performance. I always do some conditioning at the end using no gloves but when on a bag i think its essential to wear gloves otherwise combinations can't be strung together properly , punching power is limited. Its good to practise without gloves for a little of the time but i think wearing gloves is quite fundamental. I think you will find wearing the proper punchbag gloves are extremly thin anyways and toughen your wrists up nearly as much as without wearing gloves at all.

Anyways for punch bags try Playwell

18. NaughtyKnight

I dont see how anything is hindered not wearing gloves. I hit just as hard and fast, I still can do my tabata interval training without gloves.

19. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

cheers for more advice
    i think that i will buy the tao fingerless bag gloves for £11.99
    r these alright for bag work? cos they say for light bag work

20. NaughtyKnight

I still recommned to boycott gloves, but if your insistent get the lightest pair you can. Dont bother with the triple padded crap.