Pulled leg muscle?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by RickyC123, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Ok so I had wing chun yesterday really starting to enjoy it did the class fine then later on I was play fighting with my nephew and I seem to of pulled a muscle in the back of my thigh, I'm not sure what its called, but I tried stretching it out later on but It hasn't really done anything
    I was wondering if there is anything I could do to try and sort it out
    Any remedies etc?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

R.I.C.E.

Rest, ice, compression and elevation is always a good place to start.

My amateur impression is that you've strained a hamstring. Don't try to stretch. Rest it and if after after a week it isn't any better get to a doctor.

3. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Thanks, it feels like its just above my knee, ahh my bad I thought I should of stretched it, been trying to stretch more to kick higher, hopefully it won't set me back too far

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Pretty much what Simon said. Mine went pop a few weeks ago and really resting it is the best thing you can do. Don't stretch it, you'll just make it worse.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yep, hamstring injuries are teh suxxor. You've just got to rest them and once they're better, try not to do it again.

I think Simon's a bit optimistic with a week. Maybe it's because I'm ancient (32) but it takes about a month for mine to get better.

6. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Hopefully it won't be too long I'm hoping to go back to wing chun on Thursday and Sunday this week, problem is I'm at work all week aswell which includes me standing and walking all day

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I'd let your instructor know and take it easy if you aren't going o skip the sessions to rest it.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

omg, you're ancient! how do you get out of bed in the morning? you should just sit around all day waiting to die!

:)

+1 on the month healing time. doesn't mean you can't work, i would. but you have to manage well.

9. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Well my leg feels loads better now, first day of training again today and I did my stretches and practiced kicks etc, so hopefully I should be fine for my wing chun class tomorrow

Must just be all you old farts that need a month haha

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

You're lucky you didn't tear it.

11. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

I made sure I tried light kicks first and bent my knee and things like that to see if there was any pain but it felt fine, I'm wondering if it was just the muscle in my leg aching from stretches because I've just started them recently

12. nunchaking

nunchaking New Member

No remedy. It will heal in 1-3 months depending on severity. I torn my hamstring on 2 parts in the same incident. One right in the middle of the back muscle (healed in a month) and another muscle attaching to the lower pelvis. The second part takes 3-4 months and minor pain still there when I perform full split. During the first month, I soaked myself in Epsom salt and seems to take away the pain temporarily. I still perform split during that time in order to prevent muscle balled up when it heals.

I learned my lesson. Never throw high kicks in Judo/Jujitsu/Aikido dojo even after good stretching. When the the kick gets to its highest point, the mat sinks down and can get serious injuries.

Good luck and don't worry :)

13. ned

ned Valued Member

What sort of kicks are you doing in your Wing Chun class that are causing you to
    overstretch in an attempt to get higher?
    High kicks may look impressive but often are impractical and leave your standing leg vulnerable(especially if you're overstretching or unbalanced)which is why
    WC kicks are nearly always below the waist and used in conjunction with defensive,trapping or striking hand techniques.
    Glad to hear your hamstrings better!

14. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

It wasn't in my wing chun class it was when I was play fighting with my nephew, it was a side kick I think I might of just over did it and over stretched it maybe
    Thanks dude