'pukulan' pencak silat...

Discussion in 'Silat' started by taoizt, Nov 22, 2007.

1. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Guys,

Most of you out there have trained Silat probably longer than I have, so I have a simple question...

Why do so many styles have the addition 'pukulan' to their name?

Does it mean that the style incorporates punches, which would say that Pencak Silat does not?
    or..does it mean that the style is more focussed on punches than on other ways of defending?
    or...doet it mean that the style has incorporated techniques of the style 'pukulan' ?

Why are styles not called 'Pukulan Tendangan Pencak Silat' ?

For the record, I practice Pukulan.. :) For me pukulan amongst other things means a strategy, which is 'hit first...', so no levers, no sapu's, no chokes or holds first, but only perhaps afterwards.. Pukulan for me is a style.

Greetings,
    Taoizt

2. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Hi
    I think the name of your style at times, describe the movements. For us in Pukulan Cimande Pusaka it means striking. When I train with my first teacher in Guyong Harimau he had two set of Buahs one set was called pukulan and again this was describe to me as striking sequences. Most styles of Silat have striking, but some place more focus on striking and therefore may use the name Pukulan to describe their style.

Liam

3. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hi Taoizt,

I can't tell you why so many styles or schools use pukulan in their name. What I do know is that pencak silat as a formal generic name for the indigenous martial art is only introduced some fifty years ago. In eastern Java pencak was more common, in Sunda it was silat or maen po and in the Betawi area it was commonly referred to as pukulan.

So in my understanding there is not one pukulan style and not one comprehensive way to describe pukulan or to differentiate it from certain silat styles. To me it is in the first place just a name used in a certain geografical area. Secondly most pukulan systems are highly influenced by other MA in the Betawi melting pot (Indonesian as well as foreign) so the change they have all more or less similar concepts is not very probable.

I know that in some parts of the Dutch silat scene there are claims made that pukulan is more or less a dutch-indonesian interpretation of silat but I really don't believe this is true. If you visit the kampung2 of Jakarta and talk to people about local martial arts they know, they still refer to their arts as pukulan betawi, just pukulan or for example pukulan rowo belong amongst many others.

I can relate to the concept of 'hit first' as we have our own interpretation of this concept but I don't think this a concept monopolized by pukulan per see.

Patrick

It's to time to meet up again with some coffee and spekkoek, say hello to Walter

4. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

On the border area between East & Central Jawa (where I'm from) the Jawanese words of pencak (sort of martial dance) and silat (when it is applied) have been in use to describe various martial pursuit for as long as memory ... however Mas Pekir is correct, the combined term became part of the official national lexicon approximately 50 years ago.
    In Sunda area and Betawi (West Jawa) the term maenpo is fairly generic to describe the same thing. Maen (Indonesian is Main) means "to play" or "playing" ...
    Po could have been derived from pukulan (means hitting or striking)... so maen pukulan (old spelling poekoelan) becomes maenpo and means "playing at striking/hitting".
    The rest of what Mas Pekir says I am also in agreement with.

Cheers and salam.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  5. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

hmmm ok, so I guess pukulan as an addition to the name is just there to add extra flavour to the name pencak silat. It can be confusing from time to time. For now I'm happy with the definition of pukulan I practice, just curious about others. I agree that there is no general 'pukulan', just variations of it like pukulan betawi or pukulan pecutan. To 'play' or not to 'play' that is the question ;)

Patrick, you are right, coffee and spekkoek make for an excellent combination :) i will say hi to Walter and I will call you shortly!

Greets,
    Taoizt

6. Takedown 2

Takedown 2 New Member

Interesting Thread!

Interesting Thread!

Language history is a passion of mine. I've always said that if I ever win the lottery, I'd back to school and study Linguistics. Specifically, the history of Languages.

I'm curious to learn how the word 'Pukulan' came to be assoicated with my system. The main root of my system, Pukulan Cimande Pusaka, comes from Mas Jud. I've been told that he called his art both Cimande Combanisi and Sera Combanisi.

His heritage originally came to my group from Willy Wetzel, who I've been told was a Dutch-Indonesian. Interestingly enough, it's also been said that he was full Indonesian as well. I'm bringing this up because I'm guessing it might be relevant information in determining why Wetzel called his art 'Poekoelan Tjimindie.' I understand that the spelling difference reflects the Dutch vs Indonesian spelling, but what's the source of the 'Poekoelan' or 'Pukulan' to being with?

Michael

7. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Hi Takedown2,
    I suspect that "Combanisi" might actually be "Kombinasi", which is a poached English word "Combination" ... so it could be a descriptin of the ingredients of Mas Jud's pencak while acknowledging the major influences of Cimande & Sera.

Regarding the "oe" spelling versus the "u" spelling, through my life I have used both officially. The change happened during my late primary school years circa the late 60's or 70's ... not sure when. For example, some people in my family chose to keep versions of the old spelling in their names, while others changed to the new ... hope this helps.

Cheers & salam.