Public Question for Judo Champion

Discussion in 'Judo' started by KidKrav, Feb 10, 2011.

1. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

I found this video which I believe is of you...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUicI6FHHE"]YouTube - Jiu-Jitsu & Judo Submission Moves : Jiu-Jitsu & Judo Submission Moves: Front Naked Choke Holds[/ame]

I briefly tried this technique out today, but I misremembered the demonstrated grip. Instead I used a grip like the one featured in the following clip from about 2:15 to 2:18 where the hand not attached to the choking arm held the back of my head...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSu2lDjDmI"]YouTube - Arm Triangle Choke 101: Tips and Tricks[/ame]

It seemed to work with the alternate grip, so my question is are they interchangeable or is there something which makes the one demonstrated by your student preferable?

I'm thinking that there may be certain advantages to both applications of the grip. It looks as though this is primarily a blood compression choke as opposed to a wind choke, but with your technique I could see it being both with the application of downward pressure of the hand that covers the opponents throat. Alternately having the grip on the back of the head might be more defensively sound as it gives the person applying the choke the ability to brace themselves with the hand gripping the head in the event that the person on the bottom attempts a hip roll.

In short I think your application may be more sound offensively and the alternate head grip may be more sound defensively. That said, I acknowledge that there may be something that I don't realize about the technique, so any feedback you have to offer would be greatly appreciated:)

P.S. Other members are welcome to comment to but I wanted to ask Judo Champion about this as it is him in the clip, or so I believe...

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I might be missing something here but the two clip sare of diffeent chokes.. the first one is an ezikiel and the second is an arm triangle. The grips are different because the chokes work differently.

3. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

They are different and you can not apply both grips to the arm triangle choke. You can however apply the demonstrated grip from the arm triangle to the front naked choke, which is what I did by mistake. It still worked even though I did it by accident.

When I learn a new technique I try to consider all aspects in order to fully understand it. I realize that there may be something that I don't know about the front naked choke, but at the same time I know that there are often multiple effective variations of a given technique.

I made this thread in order to give Judo Champion the opportunity to speak about his video and to further my understanding of the front naked choke.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

gotcha.

My opinion is that the arms positioned as they are in th estandard ezikiel (judo champs vid) close the space around the neck more effectively making the choke more efficient. They also cutt off certain angles of attack from the two arms of your opponant in relation to defending the neck.The weight of your body going into the elbows the low mount and grapevining of the legs reduce the threat of being bridged off.

5. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Sorry I took so long to respond, extremely busy last few days.

I think Killa_Gorrillas hit the nail on the head with his explanation. I love this choke from the top and the bottom. I also use it as a crank, by bringing my left hand behind my own neck, or in front of my opponents forehead, while applying pressure by squeezing down or up, tightly. OUCH! It hurts alot and may bring permanent injury to the recipiant... Dont try it at home, PLEASE. The choke is completely legal in competition, the crank, only in a street fight.

The arm triangle choke is also very effective, yet very different.

I have hundreds of "how to" videos on Judo techniques, BJJ submissions, and even a few on Muay Thai & MMA. Google "Judo Angel Perez" or "Sensei Angel Perez" to view them. I also have much more of the same on Youtube - "Champion Martial Arts". Please, let me know what you think about them, once you've viewed a few. If you need any explanation or further instruction on any of them, post it and ask or do it via PM if you prefer. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

Thanks for the quick response JudoChampion:cool:

I think I may have intuitively applied a version of the crank. From the mount I had my right arm around my opponents neck with my right hand on my left bicep. My left hand held the back of my head and I pushed in.

It was very controlled and my partner is fine.

This is a great technique guys. I learned it from JudoChampion/Angel Perez

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Subscribing for later =].

8. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Thanks. There is lots more where that came from. Not the same as practicing in the dojo, but you can learn alot from viewing the vids... then trying it on your friends. LOL - Please be careful.

9. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Ok I watched the first vid. I wish I would have known about that choke earlier. I can't count how many times ive been in position to use that choke. I'll be watching more of your( judochamp ) videos.

Small question for Judochamp. What is the typical curriculum in your classes? Sometimes I feel like I've been thrown in the deepend end because I do randori with brown belts and up, and I probably only know about 5-6 throws which makes it easy for them to counter when they know all my attacks. Not a complaint, just wondering if the knowledge will come with practice or if my class should spend more time teaching some throws.

10. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

You ask for my curriculum, so I will give it to you. In NO way do I claim it to be the best, better than, or as good as anyone elses... but it works well for us.

Monday & Friday, full Gi, lots of stand up/throwing techniques, with some newaza, during randori (I often let them continue on the tatami/mat, and look for submissions as well + we compete in NAGA too).

Wednesday, No Gi, sometimes BJJ, sometimes Judo, other times a combination of the two, without the Gi.

During the off season (Oct - Feb), we train for 1 hour per day, 3 times a week. In Competition season (starting in March and ending in Sept.) we, my brother "Judo Jimmy" and I, hold a summer camp (Mon - Fri / 10am - 2pm / starting in early June and ending the Friday of the jr US Open or jr Olympics, which ever comes last / in 2 week cycles, 1 week off, and so on). We also train 2 hours on Saturday during comp season at our dojo, or we visit other dojos in the area, from time to time (mostly randori).

PS: Keep in mind, I only train children & young teens, while all of my brother's adults have a far different training carriculum than my own... they are all NAGA and/or amateur and/or semi pro MMA fighters. None of them do Judo for sport, only to improve their take-downs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011