Psychiatrist "savagely assaulted" by psych patient/BJJ medalist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Omicron, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Comes under the same umbrella for this discussion IMO, but you are right it isn't an illness in the strictest sense of the word - it IS a condition though and has similar impact vis a vis lesson planning

Edit: Zaad put it better just ahead of my post

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I'd go with that.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Mine's a bloody superpower!

5. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

define 'mental health issue,' because I suffer from depression disorder and an inherited panic disorder, but martial arts is what calms me down and keeps me stablized as opposed to pills, or the other alternative which is deterioration.

6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

aggression problem might not b a disorder, in some it can be trained out of them in a positive environment

7. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

bujinkan has a high criminal membership level?

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I ask people when they start if they have any medical cobditions.

Its not to stop anyone training, but to make sure every one has safe training.

I've had deaf people, asperagers, depression, bpd and clotting disorders to deal with.

Bpd was a nightmare, asperagers was strange, deafness was easy but everyone had to be aware that no verbal tapping was possible, and that she had to also be aware of that.

And clotting disorders had to avoid takedowns, knee on belly and be more aware of tapping early to chokes etc

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I take it your not aware of all the stories......

10. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Well I know Hatsumi has a rule that we dont allow people with criminal records to train with him in china (in the written rules at least) but this is the first time me hearing of any stories... then again I have only met possibly 4 instructors of the art in person so yeah, no stories to my knowledge

11. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

how did you find the people with depression?

A friend of mine's sister has BPD and shes hard to handle sometimes.

I found funnily that the oddest thing I've had was an instructor who accused me of aspergers 'for following her instructions TOO literally' (whatever that means). Thing is, I don't have it, but her insistence in the middle of the classroom for everyone to hear made it bloody awkward regardless

12. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Depends on the problems, I would claim.

I have quite a bit of those problems myself. I've been in psychiatric ward/care - twice. There might be time when I need to go there again, but who knows for sure.

I have found so much help from combat sports. I love MMA, I watch it religiously, same with kickboxing and boxing. I love to watch fight videos and make them.

I really feel like they have changed me.

I also compete as a amateur fighter. I am a failed fighter in many ways, but it is one of the few things that actually gives me any joy in this world anymore. A legit happiness. It gives me so much.

I understand your point, but I really think it depends on the problems and how severe they are. I wont go into detail that much about mine since I write here with my real name, but there are definitely people like me who gain so much about this and dont necessarily get bad things/problems about training

Some people might even need it.

E: Dammit! I just realized that after that text, I may have misunderstood your text.

Sigh

Sometimes I wonder is it possible to be this stupid

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. Bujin_Budoka

Bujin_Budoka Valued Member

This is a touchy subject for many people because it's personal. Mental illness has this stigma associated with it that is really unjust. People fear it because it isn't "Normal" or something that they can't relate to. Having a mental illness makes you no more aggressive than "Normal" people. It is the communication issue that causes people to act out unless they are malevolent. Violent people will be violent with or without martial arts. Using a blanket statement such as barring people with a mental illness from training is rather offensive. We should use wisdom with individual cases. But generalizing whether or not someone dealing with this type of illness or disorder should train is rather unfair. Hitler deemed that killing off the mentally ill and disabled was proper recourse due to a lack of quality of life. Who judges that? Who are we to deny people based on a stigma that we don't understand? Do those that suffer with mental illness not have the right to defend themselves against violence? Do they not have the right to pursue happiness and constructive activities? I work at a psych hospital. I have seen cage fighters come through and were very peaceful but needed help coping with things. I've seen the flip side of that too. Each individual is different. Don't judge unfairly because you never know if you will find yourself in their shoes.

14. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Id like to hear of these stories...