Psychiatrist "savagely assaulted" by psych patient/BJJ medalist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Omicron, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Apologies I wrote my post way too quickly

I have excluded one person from training who happened to have mental health issues and could not control his temper. As a result he caused issues and injuries to his training partner

I agree that the two are not necessarily correlated

I have also excluded a couple of people who had recent, violent criminal records (separate issue) & maybe I'm overly cautious on this

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

...Seriously? Are we going there?

3. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

It's in their guidelines, Dean.

He is just being responsible to the bujinkan as a whole. Just as SKH and Jeff Prather have been...

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do they define "mental illness"? It's a pretty broad term

As a side not I also wonder if "actions adversely affect others" would include to selling grades for cash.....

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And at least here in America, it could cause a school to get sued for discrimination.

Sometimes it is readily apparent someone has mental health issues, sometimes not. One of the most violent situations at my work (I was threatened and my co worker got maced) came from a lady that had been coming there for awhile. She was mild mannered and polite for weeks. Until the one day with the incident. Even then, until she went off, she had been perfectly "normal" earlier in the day.

So as Hannibal says. what are you going to do? Ask someone if they have mental illness before letting them into your school?

Also, I have seen students with obvious mental health issues at my school. And the martial arts training has seemed to have a good effect on them. At least judging by their behavior in the school.

Now my school WILL kick you out if Sifu finds out you are starting fights for no reason. That is part of what a student is told when going through the introductory lessons.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the condition, people with underlying aggression problems are not worth teaching. And people with learning disabilities need extra teaching before they are safe to roll.
    A good coach makes sure training is safe.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahaha...the irony of the bujinkan barring people that are mentally unstable is just absolutely delicious.

8. Hannibal

That's just accomodation though surely? I have/had students with Aspergers, Autism, Depression, Anxiety and one with tourettes (twitch not language). All of these are Mental illness, but each has a different level of accomodating (if any)

The overt aggression tends to come from the "normals", who have an ego out of whack

9. Dead_pool

Bang on with the accommodation.

And you dead right about aggression,
    But some mental disorders are linked to emotion instability, ive worked in mental hospitals and theres some people you do not want having training, this goes for 'regular' people too.

10. Hannibal

True...the hardest fight I ever head was on a mentally ill crackhead in full blown excited delirium mode with faeces under his fingernails

Add the environment - public toilet with all teh taps running and 1/2' of water covering the whole floor and this was NOT a fun experience

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know it is but Dunc doesn't come across as being in the same category as the likes of Prather.

12. Dean Winchester

Hmm dodgy ground thinking of Aspergers and the like as mental illnesses.

13. Dean Winchester

Oi bugger off and leave us delusional paranoids alone.

Still annoyed i've never had a Hale Berry hallucination.

14. Hannibal

I should clarify - CLASSED as mental illness or impairment. Certainly there are behavioural keys and factors with people who have conditions such as Asbergers that need accomodating (literalism, difficulty with multi-tasking, unawareness of social cues etc..)

15. Dean Winchester

You been watching South park?

:D

Assburgers had me in stitches.

16. Hannibal

I am SO leaving that typo in there.....

17. Dead_pool

It is a autism spectrum disorder. And afaik is classified as a mental illness in the medical world.

For the sake of clarity I think its reasonable to include it in a discussion of martial arts training and mental disorders.

18. Dean Winchester

If anything it's neurodevelopmental, now whether you'll include that under mental health is another thing I think, I've known some professionals who probably wouldn't.

My reason for mentioning it is that within some sections of the AS community it would be somewhat insulting to them to say their character or self is a mental illness.

I don't disagree with what you say for sake of clarity but I do personally cringe a little when I know that some people will view traits as being an illness.

It's not a psychiatric illness although the deficits that accompany it can lead to such conditions, yes there is a variation in functioning but it's due to developmental issues.

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, pretty sure it's not the done thing to class neurodevelopmental disorders as mental illness.

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

In classifying medical data - autism and aspergers are classified as mental, neural or congenital disorders (i cant remember which one).

Anger issues/disorders already established would be classified but actual aggressive behaviour requiring or during hospital stays would be classified on top of that (you might have a certain anger issue but it doesnt always surface).

If a person has an aggression related disorder, then they know about it and the only way they would know is through a diagnosis which means they are probably already receiving help so your discriminating against a person who is trying to get help.

If they are getting help then they'll probably disclose that to you before joining your MA class and you can make allowances for that.