Protein, Weights & Body Fat %

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Feb 9, 2007.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hello All,

I'm trying to get my head around whats in the thread's title.

I'm doing weight training with skipping for cardio. My sessions are 3 times a week at 45-60 minutes. This comprimises of 10 mins of stretching inc cooling down stretches, approx 10 minutes of skipping and the rest doing weights routines with dumbells and barbels. I'm using 20kg on the barbel and going for high reps for strength endurance and do various other common routines (Squats, french presses, curls etc) to work my muscles.

After this, i'm wondering how much protein do i need? I researched and found out for weight training i need 2 grams of protein for every kg of weight, i weigh 113kg this would mean i need 226 grams of protein?

I ate 2 chicken breasts after my workout within 1 hour which would be approx 90grams of protein. During the day, i do not believe i've consumed the remaining 136 grams of protein? Is the above calculations correct, do i need 226 grams of protein? Should i look into protein shakes, whey shakes/creatin?

Furthermore, i'm wanting to slim down via converting fat to muscle, essentially i'm not going for super lean or super big muscles, i'd rather just not have a 42 inch waist and massive thighs and stomach anymore. For muscle to show Body Fat percentage needs to be at (15-18%?) mine is currently at 30% So i need to lose 12% fat? It states that my BFP IS 30% and that i have 33kg of body fat, so 33kg/100*12 = 3.96kg of fat i need to lose to show muscle? It can't be that easy, can it?

Could someone help me out?

2. relish

relish Valued Member

Hey mate, I was under the impression that the 2 gram per lb was for maximum gain and isn't necessary. I've had good increases just upping my protein through whey and eating more fish etc. Also I don't think fat 'converts' into muscle, they're two separate materials as far as I know and it looks like you want to lose one and gain the other :). Just did a quick calculation and 4kg is around 9lb so you're wanting to lose just over half a stone I suppose!

My advice: Up your cardio and try working in some HIIT (search the forums if you don't know what it is and for advice on cardio routines), it's a killer but it burns fat like nothing else. Also try looking at the diet and maybe counting calories, cut a few calories and up the protein so you still feel full although 2 gram per pound isn't absolutely necessary as it can be quite hard to attain that amount, just work up to it. Above all keep a regular routine, as that is the best way to burn fat! I'm nowhere near a professional so take what I say with a pinch of salt and look at other threads with more experienced informants :D.

Best of luck
    Sam

3. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

I also had a talk to him on MSN this morning. A guy on here told me that 1 gram - 1.5grams of protein powder to each pound of bodyweight should do the trick.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Relish has it right! Current thoughts within the Bodybuilding community put Protein consumption at 1 to 1.5grs per pound of body weight.

A common statement that is impossible to achieve. Muscle can not convert to fat, nor fat to muscle. What you are trying to achieve is a reduction in the amount of body fat that you currently have. Simple mathematics:

Create a caloric deficit by burning more then you consume.

Eat 5 to 6 smaller meals through out the day. If you have an issue with getting enough protein, that is what Whey Protein supplements are for. Though your regular diet is where most if not all of protein calories should come from. Try doing 25 minutes of Cardio on your "Off" days. I dropped 35 pounds in 3 years by lifting 3 days a week, Cardio 3 seperate days, and eating 5-6 meals supplemented with Whey protein. It would also be a good idea to have your blood tested, specificly your t3 and t4 counts, to rule out Thyroid issues. Good luck! You can do it...

5. narcsarge

PURE Bull! Get a clue and do some research first. I think you meant to say
    1 to 1.5 grams of PROTEIN per pound of body weight.

6. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

^ That's the man to speak to for your bodybuilding tips lol :p

It was a mistake, Edit that post please, I'm fixing it up now.

7. narcsarge

I know what works and what doesn't because I have been down the road, made the mistakes, done the research, and practice what I preach. I know what I am talking about. Where as you Fishbone spout only what you were told by someone else. There is no shortcut for experience...

8. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

What is your problem? Your nice one day and the next your a complete idiot.

9. narcsarge

And yet you resort to calling me names? An idiot does exactly what you are doing. Posting without providing validation. Admitidly you are young but calling other people names, slamming their posts as inaccurate or meaningless without providing proof or facts to hold up your side is careless at best. I post to support but I will always call foul when a poster makes errors.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  10. FortuneFaded

Wouldn’t that mean 250 pounds*1.5 making it 375 grams of protein required? I read a paper by Blessed Samurai; it states that it is done in KG. You take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2 to get KG and times by the RDA at 0.8. So when I heard of 1.5 grams of protein for every kg, that’d work out at 170kg.

Ahh, yes i am aware that fat wont magically turn into muscle as i can do 1000 crunches, obliques and sit ups per day and the fat on my belly wont turn to magical ab muscle. I took the term from an MH (mens health) magazine which discusses weight training turning fat to muscle on the basis you'll be doing a workout which will burn fat and as that happens, muscle will appear.

Relish, is this you referring to the amount of body fat I’d need to lose (9lb) to get my body fat percentage down to 18% from 30%. This seems like a rather miniscule amount to lose. With a decent workout losing 1.5lb a week that’s only 6 weeks? Is this correct?

11. narcsarge

I post on several BB'ing websites and the 1 to 1.5 goes with pounds or Kilograms. I weigh 180, so I try to get 180 grams minimum per day.

:D Just having a tug at ya about the fat to muscle statement.

12. relish

relish Valued Member

Lol chill out, should be a flaming forum for this kind of thread jacking ;). He's simply saying he's more experienced and you should really either write a disclaimer or do solid research and practice before telling people how to mould themselves into killing machines lmao, especially if you're unsure of your facts.

Anyways back on topic: FF I'm not sure what your diet looks like now but posting an average day whenever you read this would help in analysis although basic rules for fat loss include aiming for around 1800-2000 calories (I take it your a man otherwise those figures need editing), keep a regular exercise pattern and cut out processed foods (aiming for brown bread, salads, moderation of cheese and dairy etc etc. you know the drill). Train hard and you can make it! :woo:
    Sam

13. FortuneFaded

There is such a vast difference between 170g of protein and 375g of protein though.

14. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

375grams is going to cost big money lol

Your the one who told me that information, And you can't differentiate between kilos and pounds? It's double the amount of protein for goodness sake.

15. relish

relish Valued Member

That's what I was aiming to work out yer. Like I say I'm no expert and the numbers did kinda shock me but then again.. If you do it right it doesn't matter how much you need to lose, just keep going until your happy with yourself! In theory though yes you can lose 9lbs in 6 weeks healthily definetely.

16. narcsarge

Quite right. If you weigh 113kg now, start trying to get 113kg of protein into your diet. This is to feed and nourish the muscle growth from your weight training. Your Cardio work will elevate your metabolism for hours, eating 5-6 meals will increase your metabolism too and maintain blood glucose levels. There is a whole bunch of science to this, most which goes way beyond what I care to remember, but it does work. You may have to tinker a bit to find the best solution for you but it is a starting point.

17. narcsarge

Relish has it nailed. Thanks for the support Relish! And the clarification :D

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

OK.. you've had warnings.

Anymore crap like this from you, and you'll be banned so fast you'll have friction burns on your ass.

Please read the site terms of service. If you can't/won't follow them, don't post. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/maprules.htm

19. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Emphasize the total caloric intake more than the amount of protein. If I dont think I had much protein in my meal, I just drink a couple cups of milk. Protein intake is so overemphasized.

20. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Harhar hit a point that is often over-looked. As your kcals go up, protein becomes less important (not saying protein is not important). But when you start going on a caloric surplus, the amount of protein you ingest becomes increasingly important for the purpose of staving off muscle atrophy.

The paper is in kilograms because research in that area is done in kilograms. Americans tend to use standard rather than metric. It's also why I used centimeters rather than inches.