Protein shaker query

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sgt_Major, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Anyone got any good tips about getting the smell out of the protein shaker?

I drink my protein with milk, and sometimes I'm not right near a sink to rinse it out and it might stay in it for a couple hrs before I can wash it, which means it can stink of sour milk, making the next shake disgusting to drink.

After a good soak and wash, it then stinks of the washing up liquid.

Anyone got any good tips on cleansing the smell out of the shaker?

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've never found anything to get rid of the smell of denatured protein. I used to buy a new shaker once it got really bad, aside from trying to wash it sooner the best thing I can suggest is either drop the shakes and stick to a PWO meal, or get a stainless steel shaker. These don't hold the smell like plastic plus you don't need to worry about xenoestrogens leeching into your shake.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Another possibility is if you can buy your milk in bottles, take the protein in a sealable bag, mix the two when you open the bottle and chuck the bottles afterwards. I buy Jersey milk in plastic bottles.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah most of the plastic bottles out there made for shakes will hold a smell. And then add in some dishwashing fluid to wash it and it's funk-O-rama. Since your nose goes into the container as you drink... the first thing you get is a whiff... and it's nasty.

If possible.. immediately after the shake... rinse with hot water. And then just leave open on your desk or wherever. It's not clean but at least it's not taking on the smell.

Stainless steal is a great option. So much crap is made out of plastics and the more they do the research the more they find that different compounds leach into the food chain or the plastic gives off fumes that you inhale... etc. etc. etc....

Go oldschool and buy a large size martini shaker! Happy as a clam you'll be. :p

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter