Protein Requirements for Different Strength Qualities

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boardeaux, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

17 years of weight training and trying all sorts of macro percentages. Why don't you do your own personal findings instead of badgering me based on your "scholarly" readings? I wonder if most of those who write that stuff even pick up a weight to begin with?

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

<deprecated>

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Maybe your at one end of the bell curve mr saved in blood.

Anecdotal evidence is pretty rubbish.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ok, that sounds great.

look i'm not saying that the recommendation can't be wrong. we saw what happened to the recommendation to eat more grains (the pyramid) in the early 80's--hello, obesity. but i doubt that any recommendation is based on "ignorance". it's ok to question any science; name-calling doesn't really further the discussion, only ends it.

obviously, lots of protein works for you. but there is some interesting data out there: the body seemingly only absorbs a certain amount; protein requirements for even elite athletes may be overstated; the health effects of too much protein consumption; etc. etc.

for myself, i just eat lots of plants, some meat, some dairy. for me to reliably gain muscle, i have to train either in bjj, calisthenics, yoga, or weights regularly. i try not to over-think it, and while i train in bjj and compete, i'm not an elite athlete or professional by any stretch.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

By rubbish, I assume you mean 'embarrassing for the person proposing it as proof of anything'.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

anecdotal evidence is great for demonstrating where on the bell curve one sits

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

hey guys what's up again I'm just gonna chime in here real quick because it might give me a hand with my training as well as answer op. I'm not big on training for power I train a lot for endurance, in fact my only real muscular power developing exorcize is the pull up and I only do it about two or three times a week. However I do a whole lot of push ups and dumbbell exorcizes in the sixteen rep range and usually only about two to four sets of those.
    I'm seeing huge gains in my appearance I look pretty lean and I've increased my pull ups from none to thirteen in the past year, I'm eating three square meals a day mostly low fat stuff like chicken and shrimp, I only drink a protein shake when my meals and snacks for the day don't equal twenty two hundred calories a day.
    Just saying I look good and feel pretty good and I'm eating pretty normal stuff and not using supplements.

Feed back please.