Protein Requirements for Different Strength Qualities

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boardeaux, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

I believe it is generally recommended that if you are bodybuilding then you should aim to consume one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day? I have seen this on this forum as well as sites like Scooby's Workshop.

I am wondering if there is a different recommendation if you are training for different strength qualities like Endurance, Speed and Explosiveness for combat athletes or whether the same applies?

I mean if you are not looking to increase muscle mass purely for aesthetic purposes is there a different recommendation?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

The protein calculation for most people who are doing anything athletic or that uses strength is 1 g per lb. Doctors will of course disagree. There are certain types of training you would need to do in order to gain size though, so I wouldn't worry about that. It just helps basically because when you do a lot of combination training, then a lack of protein can cause the body to burn your muscle for energy.

3. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I ask is that I am a vegetarian and without protein supplements I find it hard to eat the required amount of protein at 1g per lb. I was hoping that as a non-bodybuilder it would be a lower amount.

What if I calculated protein intake based on a percentage of my daily calories (say 25%) rather than a set amount per lb of bodyweight? With the calorie intake amount based on maintaining current weight (adjusting for calories burned through training). Would that be more accurate?

Nutrition confuses the hell out of me

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just eat more spinach, lentils, broccoli, etc. i'd say soy as well but soy is... controversial, to say the least :p

you won't specifically NEED the amount of protein someone pumping iron would need, but it's always something good to have, and particularly if you're a vegetarian who has trouble getting that sort of amount in, having it as a fixed goal will help you stay healthy.

alternatively, if you're ovolacto, just get some eggs and milk in. 1l full fat milk has around 30g protein, so it's a respectable daily amount to drink for protein and calories, and probably more than you need if you don't lift for size (so something like 0.5l/day should do nicely, and help a lot with getting amino-acids in that would be harder to find in plant sources.

the thing about the specific amount needed, as far as i'm aware, is that there's a top limit to the amount that gets used at once, which is said by some to be just under 1g/lb (the specific number of 1g/lb being just a pretty number that's easy to remember and calculate, and gives you plenty of wiggle room if you don't meet it). you still need a good amount if you're doing any sort of physical activity, but will never need to go above the 1g/lb figure.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think it's 0.8g/lb officially. You don't want to be exceeding that on a regular basis.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

instead of tofu, go with tempeh. i think tempeh is more flavorful. there's lots of fermented soy products you can find. there's a lot of controversy, yes. but i don't think there's anything to back up the controversial claims made about soy.

is the op vegetarian or vegan? because you can eat eggs, milk if you're vegetarian, no?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. Giovanni

yeah, because you should listen to some anonymous dude on the internet, not your doctor.

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

The average person, fallowing a Canadian food guide or equivalent diet shouldn't need additional protein supplements unless your doing rigorous workout regime. That being said, im no vegetarian and I dont know what's in your daily food intake or what your fitness regime is.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Look up what expert physical trainers say about it then. Doctors are not nutritionists, they are a jack of all trades, master of none... this is why we have specific doctors for specific things... did you know that?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you are going to use the authority of scientific research to support your claims, you should cite the specific research papers.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Saved_In_Blood

first off - nutritionists are usually bullcrap. in the UK, anyone who has done any type of short nutrition course can legally be called a nutritionist.

Most personal trainers will give you crappy advice on nutrition because a good part of their income is from pushing supplements.

A dietitian is the best source of information regarding nutrient intake.

i would have cited the NSCA or UKSCA's reviews of athlete protein intake requirements (2g/kg/bw) as well has research showing that there is no substatial proof that high protein intake is related to kidney failure (as commonly claimed) but is related to increased all cancer sub-type risk. that would be if i could be bothered citing.

Conversely i would cite research papers by olly witard and kevin tipton showing the maximum absorption and anabolic response your body can have after resistance training comes from a minor 20g of protein - aka 100g of chicken or a scoop of whey protein.

12. Giovanni

I was going to respond but I don't even understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that we should check a nutritionist? Over a doctor? Or that there are no doctors that specialize?

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Officially where?

But there is absolute no problem going over that regularly if you don't have anything pre existing.

For different strength qualities you still really want to be at least around this range. This is because the building and breakdown of muscle and protein requirements for this are the same no matter what strength based specialty your goal is.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. Saved_in_Blood

All it takes is a google search... it's ALL over the internet and is the set standard for preserving and/or building muscle for those who are active. Use your fingers and type it in yourself.

15. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

thanks for your responses all.

Yes I am vegetarian so can drink/eat milk and eggs. It is frustrating searching for information about vegetarian nutrition as most information about "Vegetarian Bodybuilding" is actually Vegan Bodybuilding.

On the milk front why is it always full fat that is recommended? If looking for protein content rather than calories then surely skimmed milk is better? Protein content is the same I believe.

cheers

16. Giovanni

i'm not a doctor, i only play one on the internet. and i'm using my fingers to type this myself

i don't know why full-fat milk is always recommended. i definitely do not shy away from fat.

but i like 1% chocolate milk for a post-workout snack. not really a tremendous amount of protein, has some carbs too. i like it because it makes me feel good to drink it after a workout and i get some protein out of it. it's also got the magical ratio, 4:1 carb : protein. i know a lot of guys are all into making special post-workout shakes. i just like the choco.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

fat is needed by the body (hormone precursor and main component of cellular membranes, as well as energy source), and low fat milk has more sugar, iirc uually to the point of having more total calories. just drink the one you find tastier. that said, i recently founf a lactose free milk that has almost the same amount of protein and carbs, which is nice. haven't checked exact calories, but might prove a decent investment.

edit: 'scuse the typos. phone touchscreen is annoying

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Fat= energy

19. Giovanni

speaking of fat=energy....something i've come to enjoy lately....

2 tablespoons of butter blended into 8 ounces of coffee. yowza!!! amazingly delicious and full of energy. i only do it as a treat every so often. it's a substantial part of breakfast when i do because of all the fat.

20. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Your pulling my leg right? Butter in coffee, it's the unsaltes kind right? Sorry that just doesn't sound appetizing.