Proposed competition rule changes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Artikon, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Here's a link for propsed rule changes to competition in WTF TKD

Proposed rule changes

What do you think?

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Article 4 (Sparring gear) I agree with it.

Article 4 (mouthguard) Do not agree. who cares what color it is. Its there to protect.

Article 6 (weight class) I can see how it is good because if you are in a fight you cant choose the size of the person you are fighting. But i still dont agree. You are in a tourney not a real fight. You signed up to be in a sparring match and in a weight class. I should be left up to the people. If most of them want to move up in class then do it, if not then leave the class alone.

Article 10. (end of the match)hummmmm well when the time is over wouldnt the ref say keu man and stop the contest? Its a duh aendment

Aticle 12 (points) Its the same thing but reworded.

Looking over the rest of it a lot of it is rewording the first draft but most of it i would agree to.

3. Holgate

Holgate New Member

sparring gear: personally I think the more the better, in my association (the TAGB) we have to wear head, fist, shin and foot protection. I would also venture to say chest protection of some kind needs to come into play at some point, I have been caught many a time in the chest and for a woman it's the same as a man getting kicked below the waist and they are allowed a groin guard.

Mouthguards: Who cares what colour they are as long as they protect. Personally mine is green and white, but that is out of choice, what I look for it in is the protection it gives me, being made by a dentist and made for Tae Kwon Do I know it does the job, colour is irrlevent.

Weight classes: something again I am very much used to, just don't like being in the Heavyweight catageory....sorry by 60kg is a bit light for a heavyweight.

4. Artikon

Article 6 I think is to better the competition by giving players in weight classes with few people, more of a chance to compete. I know personally I've been in tourney's where I'm the only one in my weight category and elect to fight up a category 'cause I hate taken home a gold without earning it.

Article 10 is actually clarification. How it's set up right now is that the match continues until the center ref stops the match, even if time is expired. This happens mainly due to the ref being so involved with the match they don't hear the buzzer from the electronic timer, which is fairly quiet as it is. If a player scores points in time expired and they are scored how fair is that? Corner judges are supposed to go by what the center ref is doing and not the timer. This clarification will help stop players from wrongly winning a match after time has expired.

Article 12 again is clarification. Because of the electronic scoring system corner judges needed to add the point with a second of each other for it to show. This caused all sorts of problems with officials not knowing when to add the point. By havaing the center ref now instruct after the 8 count, it's just insurance that the player will recieve the additional point.

For the most part I like the new rules. I like the fact that you may need 4 deductions before a dq as opposed to three, but more things are weighted with a full point deduction than a half point. Will help to keep the players honest. I really like that crossing the boundary line will now constitute a full point deduction. There is absolutley no reason a player should be going out of a 12x12 metre ring.

I'm interested to see what gets passed in the next month, course that means I'll have to modify my game again, and get re-certified as an official. Maybe I'll take the chance to upgrade that then. :D

5. Chazz

Wow is there an echo in here *LOL* just messin with you all!

6. Artikon

ECHOOO!!!! CHOOo! Ooo! oo! o! . . . . . .

7. Helm

Helm New Member

Most of the stuff there seems fairly good, i got a bit bored reading it towards the end though.

Always good to see they are amending and updating rules as tkd progresses though..

8. Chazz

Yeah thats true, too bad they cant get along. ITF WTF

9. Artikon

I personally don't think they would have to make ammendments to most of these rules if the last changes in competition were slowly put in place as opposed to everything at once. For me personally it was stressful enough trying to learn a new game, but as an official trying to solidfy the rules in my head. I think this caused major problems for players and officials alike.

Possible confusion could of been saved by a slow phaseing in of new rules.

10. Helm

Helm New Member

Something like that happened at a recent tournament.

My bro was fighting and the guy rushed in to throw a double roundhouse, and my bro threw a super-powerful jump backkick that knocked 7 shades of Sh*t out him, you could hear it over those noise of everything "kkaaaaboommbppff!", but they stopped the fight to aruge over weather my bro should get 1 or 2 points for some reason, and the guy got a chance to get this breath back and fight on, and he was pretty much bent over set not to continue.

11. Chazz

LOL looks like that might have been the "POINT" of the refs. If been a points judge when the other have wanted to do that.

Did you bro win in the end!

12. Helm

Helm New Member

Nah he didnt win...

My bro fell out of the ring, and was getting back in and the ref steps between them, and my bro wasnt ready and the ref started it again and the guy kicked him striaght away (he was still dusting himself off and stuff) and got a point.
    Anyhoo, that backkick was something we'd trained to do, let them come forwards and gain confidence and after a min or so hit them so hard with that kick their momma at home felt it.

The worst thing is there seems to be quite alot of bias at some competitions.

13. Artikon

Hey Helm, did the ref give the other guy an eight count after your bro gave tagged him with that back kick?

14. Helm

Helm New Member

Im not 100% sure to be honest. I was about across the other side of the hall helping a friend stretch a bit before his fight. But i sure as hell heard it. It may well have been an eight count, yeah.
    But im not sure why he would get an eight count for getting hit in the chest.

15. Artikon

Anytime a competitor is stunned enough to warrant an eight count the ref has to give it, likewise if the player is clearly knocked off his feet by the kick eight count may be given. Once an eight count is given corner judges have no choice but to give an additional point.

I've seen people getted "knocked out" by taking a back kick to the body. No unheard of, not all common but it does happen

16. Helm

Helm New Member

Well the guy was leaning forwards and skipping in real fast (expecting my bro to take a step back as before) but instead he threw the kick up and under, dead centre of his body, didnt knock him over but stopped him dead. I think he did get 2 points come to think of it.
    Thx for clearing that up artikon =)

17. Artikon

No problem, if you have any other questions regarding rules of competition let me know.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

19. Artikon

Yup, you understand properly