Program Approved

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by marinevet63031, Feb 15, 2013.

1. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Hi all,
    I have been approved for a program for disabled martial artists. It is a past time that has grown and will begin as a formal program in April. I am adapting Tae Kwon do and joint locks of Yudo for this program.

Just dropping a quick note as to what the neighborhood Disabled Vet Yudo Master is up to. Please, seriously....wish me luck!

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Cool.

But...approved by who? Is it a local law thing?

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Congrats - I wish you the best.

I've been working for quite a few years with a man who has TBI - he started ina modified Taekwondo program and we have moved him into a modified Combat Hapkido program. He has done very well. Much of the program is develped by my instructor and myself but we have also looked to inspiration/resources from people like Master Jurgen Schmidt (http://www.defenseability.com/MJS_Bio.htm) and GM Mark Shuey of Canemasters (http://www.canemasters.com/) - they have nice resources and insights as well.

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Thats great new Marinevet! Best of fortune to you! My old Aki Jitsu instructor taght a modified version to disabled poeple at a rehab center. He said many of his students there were not only quite good at it, but that it seemed to genuinly help their moral also(most of the people at that home were recently disabled and relearning things).

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Congrats and best of luck Sir!

Its a good thing you are doing and providing a service that and will help enpower people.

Osu!

Dan93

6. marinevet63031

Oh, Sorry - it is sponsored by the Disabled Athletes Sports Association here in St. Louis / St. Charles / Il area. The school I help teach at is all for this, I was able to get a scholarship for them. 50.00 for 8 weeks, and they are continuous and ongoing.

I was seeing everyone with disabilities, myself included. I wear knee braces on each knee, right ankle brace, I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and T.B.I. I was hating it. Really, really hating it. It kept creeping in my mind: Damn, I used to compete and was pretty decent at it. Now it is hard to "Keep Up With Myself" so to speak. So I reformulated all the Yudo, Hapkido, and TKD to fit me.

I have used my life's journey of martial arts to come back better, even though beat up a bit but not broken. I play power wheel chair soccer with kids and adults that have M.S., Cerebral Palsy, spinal, head, joint issues and sometimes a combination of some. I also, wheel chair fence, and wheel chair tennis as I can.

These guys and gals are just fantastic. So it would be a dis service to them not to offer a program that has helped me so much, to them.

7. marinevet63031

Thank you Thomas

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sounds good mate. Best of luck for the future :)