Professor Saldas or Salders

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by DragonDude, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DragonDude

DragonDude New Member

Anyone heard of a Professor Saldars or Salders in the UK , in Birmingham or Manchester I think? That he lived here , not just visiting for a seminar or grading.

A friend claims he took his black belt under him but nobody else has ever heard of the guy.

This would be in late 70's or 80's.

I think he said his organisation was Budokai.

2. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I'd advise contacting the universities in Manchester and Birmingham. If he's a Professor, he's bound to be on their staff lists.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Legally that's true...

There are people out there who like to call themselves professor because of their martial arts experience, which is not right. I think it stems from the fact that Kano-sensei was also a professor in a Japanese educational institution, and is therefore often referred to as Professor Jigoro Kano.

So while it may be logical to find a professor at a university, it's not always helpful when tracking down martial artists.

4. Fightgear

Fightgear New Member

Crikey! That is a name from the past. I think his name was George Salders. He was from somewhere like Poland and claimed to be about 8th Dan Jiu-Jitsu. He used to appear in the bloody aweful Fighters magazine which at the time was largely vanity press and you simply paid to get an article written about yourself. I remember speaking to him a couple of times but never was massively impressed.
    As for the Professor thing.... some UK JJ people take the handle because their American counterpart did the same who, in turn, took it from the Japanese. Now the Japanese basically have it written into their culture because of its history and how ingrained martial arts are there. When I started in the MA, people like Tatsuo Suzuki were classed as professor because I believe that some of the hosting universities in Japan award these degrees on an academic or honorific basis. In Brazil, 'Professor' is the common name for your teacher. So I wouldn't waste your phone bill chasing that one up. I could pretty well guarantee there isnt one registered!

5. Fightgear

Fightgear New Member

Actually did some checking up.... I knew the guy around 1982. He was running an organisation called the Budo Kai UK Ju Jitsu Federation. If I remember rightly, at around that time he was having a spat with one of his second in commands and this guy went off and started his own organisation. They originally set up in competition to the WFFF organisation. His name isn't George it is Gunnar Salders. The last mention I have seen of him or his organisation is back in 1999.

6. Donald McIntyre

Donald McIntyre New Member

I knew him very well I was a teacher for over 4 years there with him he formed the United kingdom jujitsu federation after a split with clark who was in the the world jujitsu federation he was one year the chief instructor for the British MAA I toured that year with him inspecting clubs he was from . Latvia and his credentials were real his club was in Redditch worcs I have some photos of him and and all the organisation he was recognised win this first name was Gunner and secound name was Salders if you kneed any more info just ask

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome - I suspect you won't get a response because the last post was almost 14 years ago, but hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the forum as well!

8. Donald McIntyre

Fightergear I must know you if you went there in late 70 early 80 what is your real name

9. Donald McIntyre

Thank you I'm sure a will

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So just to check, what was professor gunnar salders a professor in?

The wjjf is well known to be based on fraudulent claims, what was gunnar salders's claimed background?

11. Donald McIntyre

He was a 8th
    He was a 8th dan ju jujitsu 8 dan atemi ju jitsu 4th dan judo and 4th dan karate
    He was associated to
    European ju jujitsu union
    The international ju jujitsu federation
    American ju jujitsu also association
    Society of black belts UK

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Donald McIntyre

13. Dead_pool

So who was his teacher?
    What lineage?

Also being a martial arts teacher, doesn't mean your a professor, you have to be an active university lecturer in a professor position to be a professor in the UK.

14. Donald McIntyre

[​IMG]
    Now if you want to know more on why he was a professor ask this man he was one of his students and has photo's of gunner and may i add he is a professor as well
    [​IMG]
    Soke James Moclair Demo

4807 views - 0 comments

[​IMG]
    Tai Jutsu Kwai Ko-Budo1979-2009

4832 views - 0 comments

[​IMG]
    Tai Jutsu Kwai 30 years

4097 views - 0 comments

Newest Members

View Desktop Version

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  15. Dead_pool

Tai Jutsu Kwai Martial Arts Centre

Awarded a "professorship" by the juko kai, who are well known frauds...

I'm pretty sure moclair is also very dodgy as well, which is a pity, many of these guys started life as honest judo grades.

Edit, nope he's a fifth Dan in "traditional judo" which as its not listed, is probably just shananigans.

A quick Google search shows all this has been researched before.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019