Professor Chow Memorial in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by dianhsuhe, Feb 4, 2007.

1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

I have posted information on the Kara-Ho Kempo memorial for Professor Chow in Hawaii. It is in the "events" section of MAP.

If you are a past or current student/instructor please feel free to contact me for more information!

Have a great day-

S Jamey

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Wow, two memorial's and very far apart.

Do you know Vernon Kam, a Kara Ho 8th Dan, in Arizona? He is one of Professor Chow's last students?

Regards, Gary

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Can you maybe tell us who he was?

4. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Which? Chow???

5. dianhsuhe

hmmm?

Gary- There is currently NO-ONE in Kara-Ho that is an 8th dan. I have never heard of that individual. Our senior instructor under Grandmaster Kuoha is Shihan Chris Mendoza and he is a 6th dan.

I hope this was of some help to you-

james

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I unfortunately see this thread going wonderous places. :rolleyes:

edit* Wait wait! Let me get this up here so I can say I won the thread before the festivities even begin.

[​IMG]

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes wondering, is wonderous. :D

Do you know this fellow?

Regards,
    Gary

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    Yes it is, thank you.
    Just curious if you have heard of him? He was at the memorial and I received his card.

Kempofist ask's:
    Which? Chow???

I'll mention..on the card is printed "Student of Grandmaster William Kwai Sun Chow".
    My son talked to him for hours, (dinner) he got his card while at the memorial.

Kwajman asks: Can you maybe tell us who he was?

He is a student of Professor Chow's, he has a school in AZ, "Phoenix Kara Ho Martial Arts". He does not live in Phoenix, the term Phoenix refers to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)

See the confusion and why I asked?

Gary

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  9. dianhsuhe

hm...

I would be interested to find out who this gentleman is. Does he have a web-site?

Many people claim to have high rankings from Professor, however few can back it with the notarized certificate.

I have contacted Grandmaster Kuoha's Aide and I will follow-up with you here.

have a great night!

James

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thanks James, that is the reason I asked you, I figured you would get me some information.
    Regards, Gary

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

And what exactly did his card say??

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

His name, address, (Gilbert AZ) and what I have mentioned. Plus it has a "phoenix symbol".

13. dianhsuhe

Here you go

Gary- Here is what I have regarding this gentleman and it comes from Kara-Ho HQ.

Vernon Kam was a white belt under Professor Chow but attained no rank
    beyond white (let alone a dan rank).
    He became an active member of Professor Chow's Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo
    Karate again in May 1998.
    In August of 1998, he participated in a demonstration we performed at
    the Ala Moana Shopping Center in Honolulu. He was an advanced white
    belt at that time (and yes-it was video taped). He later made it to
    the rank of Yellow belt (Certificate number 5832) but quit shortly
    afterward.

I hope that this is of some help to you-

James

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thank you, it is helpful. But it does add some confusion, the man is pretty old, not as old as I am but he is in his 50's...I forwarded it to my son...He talked to the person a lot more than I did. I have E-mailed GM Sam on prior occasions. Maybe we can take this to E-mail or PM's???

Gary

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Gary, I don't see why you're confused. Aren't you a white belt at 65 years old?

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes I am proud to say. A John Leoning white belt. ;) circa middle 60's.

You don't see me mentioning a rank of 8th Dan, do you Dan? In fact I don't care for the ranking of most I meet that are claiming all sorts of it. Pretty much a joke as far as I am concerned.

But the reason for the inquiry is my son really was impressed with this person. So I thought I would bring it out in the open and see if it was a true situation or like most if it is brought into the light of inquiry will not be able to standup to it.

I have friends and realtives that are in the arts for many many years and are very good. One of the reason's I like the old guys and the seminars I go to are always that way, Old timers...

Gary

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  17. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, it sounds like your son needs to get out more if a yellow belt is impressive to him.

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Dan that is not a place you want to go, believe me. I have talked to him about you, lol...

Are you going to take sides already and have not met the man. Or my son??? LOL

Gary

19. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

You talked to this yellow belt about me? I don't even know the guy. Or are you talking about your son? Either way, neither one knows me.

20. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

This is what I was referring to. You want to divert this thread? Are you convinced this is true about the fellow we are discussing, the 8th Dan? Who shows up to a memorial and the rest of Kara Ho don't?

But this is not good for the thread and you are looking for trouble. I have invited you to many locations so you are right I don't know you.
    And for some reason you stay away from all the locations I have sent you to, to find out what I have been talking about, at various times.

Some day maybe we will meet.

Gary