"Professor" Alan Thornton "10th Dan" awarded an MBE

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dean Winchester, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The claim is that his early training was in isshin ryu karate. Sadly I have no contacts within that style, but if anyone does they can probably ask around to see if the grades he earned there are recorded anywhere. I'm guessing he got a dan grade or two from them, but unlikely anything about 3rd given the timescales I've seen quoted.

2. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

I suspect that a great many of us from smaller organisations and clubs would struggle to prove that we had earned our dan grades originally either.

But in this case, the real issue is had this chap done enough to justify an MBE for his services to martial arts.

Given that discussions here and elsewhere seem to indicate that basically nobody has heard of him, the answer to that is surely "no", unless it's a quiet thank you for training special forces on the quiet somewhere, but that seems pretty unlikely.

G

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

unless it's a quiet thank you for training special forces on the quiet somewhere, but that seems pretty unlikely.

He would have mentioned that one ...

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Let him catch up with the thread first....

:D

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

http://karatekidzonline.com/interviews/thornton.html

Hmmm

Errrrr

Has he been invited over here?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bet he's really just a cab driver.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This Thornton guy is hilarious...

Hahah...inspirational spiritual leader? Leading light of the world?
    Or maybe just a very priviliged woman that died in a car crash?

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

It gets stranger:

http://www.thetempleoftruth.co.uk/page4.htm

Maybe he has a hobby of applying for/buying awards?

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Question from a Yank. Why is this MBE thing such a big deal? From what I understand he can add some letters after his name and he isn't entitled to use Sir. To me, outside the military, most awards given by the government or any other organization aren't worth much more than some ego stroking.

Unless you get money or some other legal privileges not available to the average person.

Rev Mike Thomas LCPL(USMC)

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly...it's not really.
    BUT..there are some people that get recognised by these awards that really deserve that recognition. People that work for charities, fund raising, in social welfare work, teaching kids, etc.
    And of course people that have been successful in sport, business, politics, academia, science, etc etc.
    While a lot of it is the government giving out trinkets to their cronies and donors some are well deserved.

I think in this case IF you are going to hand out these awards they should be on merit and there's no apparent merit here so it goes against our British sense of fair play and fairness.

Although...it's not like we have an empire anymore.

11. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

It's so much of an award for your achievements, but for your service to an industry.

It's a kind of thank you and recognition for what you have given to a community.

Usually it is the first level towards becoming a Sir or a Lord.

Lord (???) < Sir (KBE) Knighthood < OBE < MBE

12. Alienfish360

We still have Scotland ;)

13. GenghisK

I think it's a British peculiarity - a series of awards given by a grateful nation to citizens who have made significant contributions to society.

Some are a bit pointless - sports and media personalities and senior civil servants. However, the vast majority are earned by dedicated and hardworking people who have put a huge amount into society. For example a few knighthoods awarded in the last few years to headteachers who have turned around failing schools, or even MBEs and OBEs awarded to postmen and school crossing assistants to thank them for many decades of service that often has gone far beyond the job they're paid for by doing any number of things within their communities.

And these things carry significant kudos within British society - admittedly the MBE is pretty much the bottom of the ladder of these awards, but it is still of some significance.

In my day job in aviation I used to have working for me a chap who after 20+ dedicated years of service to the Air Force, then spent a year running the team who picked up all the pieces at Lockerby. For that, he got an MBE - and receiving it was one of the proudest things in his life. To compare a self-promoting club sensei to that is not fair !

G

14. GenghisK

Bermuda, the Falklands, chunk of Antarctica, Ascension, Gibraltar, Turks and Caicos....

G

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You colonial scoundrels will never understand.

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It certainly does seem that way.

Which is yet another reason why he shouldn't be given this MBE when you think about it.

17. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

The martial arts world is too overloaded with "grandmasters", "10th Dan", and people with dozens of fake black belts, who rely on pieces of paper, belt mills, and awards with no substance.

Oh and none of them can throw down worth a damn, and one look at Alan convinced me he can't, so I'll trust my own eyes over the prestigious "Committee"'s in-depth analysis.

We have yet to find a single STUDENT of his, right? Somebody who might actually convince us his made-up system and made-up instructor credentials might be legitimate in some dark corner of the Universe?

18. Dale Dugas

Dale Dugas My door is always open

19. Alienfish360

Message sent

20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

A lot of it is about image. In essence, awarding an honour like an MBE is supposed to indicate that the person in question is something of a role model. They should epitomise and embody what they are given the award for, and approaching someone with an MBE for a sport (or martial art) should mean you are approaching a genuine expert in that field. As this cannot be verified in this instance, it seems at the moment that the award would cheapen the accomplishments of many who have done considerably more but not been recognised for it.