Problems at School: Did I handle it well?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Karate_Man_1288, Dec 19, 2004.

?

Did I handle It Well?

1. Yes

90.7%
  2. No

9.3%
  1. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

I'm a sophmore, 5' 6", about 130 lbs. I'm in gym class and there are the usual punks that dont participate. Well, were playing basketball, and these guys are sitting against the wall. The ball went near them, so I went to go get it. I pick up the ball, and as aI turn to return to the game, one of them pelts a basketball in my back. Now keep in mind, I have never seen these guys before, (except in the hall) and I have never spoken to them. I turned to them, and one of them stands up and says "you gonna make something of it?" I just simply return to my basketball game.

Fast forward to next gym class. Again they are sitting and again we are playing basketball. I'm checking the ball with one kid, and one of the guys gets not two feet from behind me, revs up, and drills a basketball into my head at full speed. Now these guys look about 5' 10" - 6', kinda lanky, I could take them. But I just turmn to them. Again, he asks if I wanna do something about it. And again I returned to my basketball game.

I tell my dad what happened later that day. He said I handled it well, but if they bug me a third time, to say something to them, and not just take it. Now at my school we have a no tolerance policy towards fighting. even in my situation, where I am at no fault from instigating a fight, I would get in trouble for defending myself. My dad says he doesnt care, and to kick this guys a** if he starts a fight. Next day, I tell my guidence cousler (sp), (as my dad suggested), so that it was on record that there was something going on, and if I got hurt, hold the school responsible, blah blah blah

Next gym class. Still playing basketball, and they are still sitting against the wall. They throw another one at my back. I stop what I'm doing and walk over to them, and say "why the hell are you throwing those balls?", he says "cause I feel like it", I say "Dont do it again", and as I walk away, his buddy throws one. "I walk back over, and say "Dont do that" he gets up and says "or what?" I say "I'll have to keep you from throwing them" he comes closer and says "oh really". I say right to his face "yeah". he then pushes me. I say "i wouldnt do that" he does it again I say dont do that.

At this point I'm furious. I push him back. He winds up to throw a punch. By the time his fist starts to come at me, I punch him in the face and roundhouse kicked him in the side. He falls down. His other friends look wooried, and start to back off. By this time the teacher is here, breaks it up, and we are all down at the office. We explain our stories. (they didnt have much of one), and the one who tried to punch me gets suspended for two days, and I for one.

Did I handle it well? What are your thoughts?

2. teacher

teacher Valued Member

On the whole yeah I think you did ok.
    I would have told you to make sure the teacher supervising the gym class knew about it.

If someone was getting away with treating other people in my class like they were treating you I would want to know.
    I hope that's the end of it now.

3. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Myabe too much "Don't do that again" for my flavor, but generally its cool

4. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Sounds good to me - report and record (before fists) can be the most important because it kills any 'defence' they come up with that involves you having a go at them.

I'm a bit worried about the 'control' :)D) the gym teacher is showing in his class. Strikes of any kind to the back of the head are not the safest of 'games' to be playing, and those basketballs are heavy :eek:

Advice would be around the 'observe and prepare' aspects of life. After the first incident, you don't want these nutters getting that close behind you. Your basketball game may suffer a bit, but a dodge, block, or catch that lets them know you have eyes in the back of your head can make them wary (and they'll go and pick on an easier target).

Edit: One final thing - watch out for yourself elsewhere - they sound like the sort of morons that would bear a grudge for the trouble you caused.

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

You did great just be carefull the guy you hit will probably want a revenge.

If the teacher was so fast he should be there when they threw balls at you too.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

It's too bad that you had to resort to violence... but from the description, I probably would have responded in the same way. You showed restraint by not fighting in the first few incidences and I wonder why the teacher did not realize something was going on. You did the right thing in talking to the guidance counsellor, but probably should have mentioned it to the principal and the gym teacher after the second incident. It would have covered your butt a little better.

It's too bad that you had to be suspended... I disagree with the school policy but it's the same one we have at ours (I am a high school teacher). So, I guess you serve the punishment and move on... although I would write a statement of what happened and ask to have that put into your discipline record. When you return, expect to have trouble with these guys. They will hold a grudge. Write down everything they say or do to you and give a copy to the principal. If they try to attack again, defend yourself if you have to. Try not to get caught alone anywhere out of sight of teachers. Good luck.

7. Highkick

Highkick Banned Banned

Wow. You are very tolerant. The second time, I would have walked over and done the same thing you did the third time. You got smoked in the back of the head and didn't do anything? I would be proud to know someone like you. Example; in grade ten, some prettyboy jerk was whipping rocks at me. I walked over and told him to stop. He tried to throw another, so I grabbed his wrist. He punched me in the cheek, so I held on to his wrist and punched him three times in the mouth and twice in the chin. His friend made to grab me, so I side kicked him in the forehead. The bleeding prettyboy hit he in the ribs (he was still awake because I was just rabbit-punching him) as his friend went down, so I straight-foot turning kicked him in the solar-plexus. He flew a little, rolled a little, then started wheezing. I was suspended for two weeks. The point of the story is that I would have walked over, asked a question, and as he answered I would have kicked his smart a** teeth in. (mind you, I am far more diciplined now. never would do something like that again ;) Very well done :D

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Good advice, as always, from Thomas. I think you did OK, dude; you certainly showed more restraint than I would have at your age, just follow Thomas' advice and you should be alright :)

9. Florida Warlock

Florida Warlock Banned Banned

Good advice by Thomas.

Question: Could you have blocked hits? I doubt any of them were trained in martial arts.

This thread brings up another question, related to the above. Before using deadly force, by law, you have to run from the fight, unless it would mean further endangering yourself or another person, or if running away would leve another person in danger.

Your situation wouldn't involve deadly force, only self defense. If you know, what is/are the law(s) involving self defense in the area you live? I'm not talking about the school rules, a lot of school rules are ignorant and pointless, and take away American's freedoms (freedoms that wouldn't cause harm or chaos). Sorry, that's just always bothered me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you don't know, don't go through the trouble of trying to find out. Does anyone else know? I believe the law here is that after three [attempted] hits you can act in self defense, but I don't know. Any police on this forum? Just wondering so I'll know whether I'd have a legal defense in a fight.

For me, I give someone a chance, unless I think they're a threat, which there is none at the school I go to. Even if it isn't that law that you can defend yourself after three hits: They can take one shot that'll be blocked, the second will be blocked followed by a takedown, and the third... well... :rolleyes:

Of course, it all depends on how much they **** me off before they try any physical contact.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I would have Smoked them ALL. After, and only after I incited them to fight by saying something about their mommas, loud enough so they could hear, but that the teacher couldn't. Then I'd make sure that the teacher saw them chase me. Then I'd smoke them ALL, like Phillies.

11. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

lay the smack down!!

I agree with scarlet mist, i would have kicked their asses at the first baseball throw. People like that need a good ass kicking, besides a suspension is just like a holiday! :woo: :woo: :woo:

12. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I would've handled thing similarly. The school I attend also has a "no tolerance" for fighting policy. This probably would've been my responce: First event- verbally given warning, after that, warn them until they get physical, then be on them like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snow storm. Keep in mind, don't get cocky, and at "big and bad". Humbly warn them, with confidence. If you get cocky, it just fuels their egos.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you certainly have alot of restraint. i admire that, if it was me, the first ball woulda been a warning, and the second would've been where i provoked their arrogance and slaughtered them. although given the "no tolerance" rule in effect, it was smart of you to wait as long as you did.

14. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

First ball is a physical attack...why would it be any different than a punch? It can only escalate from there (the taste of blood syndrome). I know I would have reacted immediately, but perhaps you were better off to show restraint in the end.

I would have thought that groups of guys picking on people was no longer 'cool'...but I guess stupidity will never die...

15. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Hello Karate_Man_1288,

First I'd like to say that I am glad that your altercation with school bullies left you unharmed.

My nephew is having some of the same concerns. The schools policy seems to get everyone in trouble. If you cause a fight, are in a fight or defending your self in a fight then you get detention and time off.
    I don't agree with that policy...just doesn't seem right to get beat up by not defending yourself and then getting detention for being in a fight?.

I voted no on the poll. My decision is based on the second attack.

I think you handled yourself very well on the first confrontation. Sounds like some kids just trying to look cool with their buddies and for some reason you were targeted as the way they could do that.
    You backed down after the guy had some words with you (this might have made them think that you were a push over and it might have been the reason for the second attack.)
    But the ball hit you in the back, so no damage there (except your pride) and you backed down from an escalation. Well done.

The second attack, though, was violent and with intent to cause harm. If anything it is just plain rude to be sloshing your brain around like that. Any kind of a head strike can be very serious. I believe a response from you at that time would have been deemed understandable by the school, your dad, and bully once he got off the floor.

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Dude, I think you handled it very well. And with FAR more restraint than I would. 1st ball would have had me bustin lips all over the place, prolly teacher and all..... but thats bloodlust for you. And Im much more restrained now than I was at school

17. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

man im with you on this one. i would have shown those punks my own no tolerance policy with a swift knee to the happy sacks

18. neomusashi

neomusashi New Member

You showed incredible patience and kept a cool head, especially when someone fired a basketball at the back of it frankly I think the schools policy is ridiculous, I dont advocate fighting in schools but the fact you reported it after avoiding fighting TWICE and your gym teacher failed to stop it (were these guys randomly standing around lobbing balls at ppl???) and they suspended you after all that. Presumeably you could have owned all three of them the first time a ball hit you and the outcome would have been the same.........mental!!!!! Having said that I would have tried to do exactly what you did.

its a shame you cant negotiate with some ppl and respect for dropping one of them with a single round kick, he probably wasnt expecting that!!!!.

19. navanman

navanman Valued Member

You handled it about 10 times better than I would've. They'd have been told not to do it again the first time. Fair play to you for turning your back twice, thats a level of self-control I admire.

20. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

self control is overrated. my moto is 'elbows speak louder than words'