Problem

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Dec 17, 2014.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I wont...:cry:

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say just start swinging and knock everyone out in a ten foot radius.
    Keep 'em in their place.

It could be too that the woman was BS'ing about doing krotty and panicked a bit when faced with someone that would see through her?

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm not saying you were hitting on her;

I am saying, you've said yourself that you've only been there a couple of weeks, you're talking to one of your new co-workers (who happens to be female), she mentions an interest that she has, and because you happen to share that hobby, you show interest and try to talk to her about it. Because she doesn't know you that well, it MAY come across that you're being a bit.... well... sucky-uppy?

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just don't talk to anyone. They all sound a bit ridiculous from your point of view.

5. bodyshot

Is it just me or is it a bit petty.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pee in the girls urinals. Make eye contact to establish dominance. Works for me every time.

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

There are urinals in the ladies bathroom?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

He means girly men who do aikido instead of MMA.

Real men use the sink.

9. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Maybe she had lied and invented a story to her coworkers and said she did karate to seem 'cool', made up the hand thing and said she had quit.... When you said you also did Karate maybe she thought she'd get sussed out if you questioned her on kata or something I dunno. Sounds more plausible than the hitting on her thing.

10. bodyshot

Thats freakin smart dude. I hadnt thought of that.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yeah? Like there are people who don't!

No?

Mitch

12. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

I got a weird of way of thinking and that's where I'm at! Ha :D

I am probably wrong but it sounded good (in my head)!

13. bodyshot

Veery out side the box, i like it.

14. Bujin_Budoka

Bujin_Budoka Valued Member

I never talk about my martial arts practice, style, anything unless asked. People love to talk about themselves for the most part. When I am trying to find common ground I ask questions. If it's a topic that I like or a subject I partake in, then the questions are more detailed or direct for the person. For example: "I practice karate..." response would be "Oh yeah? That sounds cool. Which style do you study?" I'm always redirecting the question back to them. Even when they open up and ask if I study too it would be a simple answer then focus back on what them. In doing this I lower their guard and maintain a humble presence. I find in my experience letting the other person talk more, opens avenues that are normally closed off and puts them more at ease. In the event of the other guy, it could be territorial. The alpha male syndrome. Take it with a grain of salt and keep going. Don't be discouraged in the martial arts because of a bad/awkward interaction with people. Martial arts is for SELF-improvement not for others view of you. This would be good training for the mind part of the equation :)

On a side note. There are many variables at play at any one time. Just remember to keep it simple. If you are happy then that is all that matters. Bring home the bacon, love the wife and raise the kids. Nobody else matters.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is also something I do. People really do enjoy talking about themselves.

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Agreed. Every office has its 'culture' and personality. Some of them are poisonous - as you often find when certain people who happen to be going no where, aren't particularly keen on improvement - themselves or anyone else - and don't have a lot challenging them are thrown together. Especially if there isn't a strong, positive leader to bring out something better in them, or at least keep the worst in check.

I think you nailed it, 'xcept the part about inventing the story to seem 'cool'. That's really a guy thing - with females, the vanity play takes different avenues - most of them undetectable to males, thick lot that we are.

I'd wager the made up the karate story as some sort of ... I don't know ... defense to ward off or deter unwanted attention - not that he was attempting to do anything, mind you - there only had to be an assumption on her part - unfounded, even an obvious bias - doesn't matter. Strange as it may sound, there's often a sense of obligation some people have about feeling they are supposed to think that there is something untoward afoot, if that makes sense.

That would possibly explain the veins popping and turning red when the OP told her he was into karate - it warn't that he was seeing through her - it was purely by chance on his part, lol.

Unprofessional work environment. These people have way too much time on their hands, if nothing substantial being inadvertently left out of the account. Feel bad for bodyshot.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's simple.

Hand out a business card with a time and address, as you give it to people just say "remember first rule is don't talk about it".

18. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

^^^And invest in gloves to hide the scar on your hand.