Probably the strongest Man who lived

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icefield, Oct 8, 2019.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I can't think of anyone else who has set national records in Olympic weightlifting, world records in powerlifting and won a world title in strongman as well.

God knows what numbers he would have put up if he hadn't retired to make his money in wrestling.

And he is also one of the few people to lift the Thomas inch dumbbell

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Damn. I had no idea he was a lifter. I just knew him from wwe

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

He set two all time world records in powerlifting when he was a teenager which stood for decades, broke all three American weightlifting records after less than a year in that sport and qualified for the Olympics when still only 19.
    No one does that, takes up Olympic lifting when they are 18 and qualifies for the Olympics, whilst still setting records in powerlifting.

Them goes and wins the first Arnold's strongman classic against some of the best strongman in the world.

Apparently when he was training weightlifting coaches from around the world would turn up to see him train and all said they had never seen anyone so strong.

Grond, Fish Of Doom and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I remember reading a salty article from a powerlifting magazine where it really laid into Mark Henry... saying he wouldve been the Strongest Man for the longest time ...but he was lazy and thats why he took the WWE gig.

Really wish I remember when I read it tho....

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I've yet to meet any powerlifter who makes a living from that sport,prize money is terrible.

Strongman have only really been able to be full time the past few years and only Shaw, big Z, thor and Hall made any real money and all four of them do TV, run gyms etc to get by.

Ironically in winning the first Arnold's Henry got one of the biggest pay days in that sports history and that was 15 years ago.

Meanwhile he is worth something like $5million with an annual salary of close.to $1million from the WWE.

So he could have been the strongest Man in the world known by a few hundred people and doing odd jobs to make ends meet. Or a wrestler known by millions and worth millions.

Or to quote eddie hall on why he didn't become a powerlifter, who the .... Knows or cares who is the best powerlifter and they are all skint.

Thomas and Mushroom like this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Plus he was going to keep powerlifting but said he would only return when the sport was clean (a wrestler moaning about another sport not being clean isfunny I know) and I would never hold my breath for that to happen.

7. Mushroom

I would side with Mark Henry. Hes made a great living off 1 gimmick.

icefield likes this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Hell Hogan made a fortune off no skill and one gimmick, HHH of no talent and marrying the bosses daughter :p
    At least Henry's skill was legit :p:D

9. Mushroom

How.......DARE you!

:D:D

10. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Truer words never spoken, my brother runs powerlifting sessions at the local gym and makes about £20 per PT session and that's after building an internationally recognized champion in the women's junior division before they split, he's even been asked to be involved in the next world championship in. It's not a sport many are interested. Since my background was to be his guinea pig for training, I ended up becoming so god damn strong compared to most of my sparring partners that when I explain I also powerlift I get odd looks because it's very much seen as a 'mans sport' with big guts and beards.

Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

You're so lucky. I'd love to have someone dragging me to the gym to get stronger and correct my technique. I'm pretty strong in some instances. My gable grip squeeze for instance compared to say, Thai fighters who aren't used to it. But I want to be strong and I want to powerlift :'(

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Getting strong is relatively easy, good form can be picked up from videos and probably one or two PT sessions.

honestly it's the squat deadlift and bench, if you can ippon seonagi you can squat, if you can suplex you can deadlift.

The hard part is the motivation and also getting enough rest between your lifting and your bjj and MMA stuff

hewho likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

Yeah. I'll post my new routine for my next upcoming fight, we'LL see if there's times for weights.

14. IronMaiden1991

If you're really in on it, find a coach or seminar to make sure you are technically sound, especially on deadlifts.

Now I PT I added an overhead day to my program that is a lot of shoulder work, but I have a bench/chest day, a leg/squat day and then a deadlift day that works other muscles I havent touched in the spine and legs (so I might do front on the squat day and back of leg on deadlift) with some core work on each session. Throwing that in the the yoga I am working towards on a teaching qualification and the karate and bjj and I am not only sore all the time but I am kicking butt and I couldnt be happier.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Four days a week would probably be too much volume if you are also training a bjj hard to recovery from.

Two-day full body spilts work better,or even one upper and one lower body day it all depends on what conditioning you are doing and how many hard day's da MMA you are doing.

Bjj/MMA is a year long in season sport and should be treated as such

16. IronMaiden1991

Nice idea but your outlook depends on the focus of the training. There's variables you are forgetting such as if I am in the energy balance to maintain this training and if we follow your assumption that i am actually training these arts to compete or not (which I am not). Training cycle as well is another factor to consider.

I dont do BJJ to compete, as martial arts is more a hobby/long term skill development. The four day split is fine for me so long as i get my rest and meet the nutritional and sleep needs to recover appropriately.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Apologies not assuming anything about you, wasn't even thinking about you.

I was talking to PIP who does compete in MMA and bjj and who was talking about the routine for his next fight.

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  18. IronMaiden1991

ah ok, post chronological order be damned for communication XD my bad.

But yeah, the biggest thing I have to drill into clients is you cannot change the rules of do a lot more, eat a lot less and still expect your performance to be the same.

One of my colleagues put himself in hospital by not eating, lifting every day and boxing 4 times a week while dealing with a family bereavement and 45 hours a week in work. Overdoing it is something people often dont appreciate.

19. Pretty In Pink

Yeah my schedule is going to look pretty hectic training-wise. I don't know how I could fit lifting in. I'll post it soon and thenot you guys can help me out?

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Don't worry to much
    If you are feeling strong when you spar and in your fights there is no need to mess with a winning formula.
    If you do feel it needs improvement the good news is it doesn't take much to build a decent level of strength

to build a competitive level of strength to compete is one thing, to build a decent level for a fighter is something totally different.