pro taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, May 19, 2007.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

profi taekwondo

in november the traditoinal A class tournament ''Croatia Open'' will take place in Zagreb. this year there will be something different. beside the tournament, there will be another tournament that will consist of 8 competitors, 4 WTF and 4 ITF. everyone can send their application but only the best will be chosen based on the achieved results and those 8 will get an invitation to the tournament. the rules will be a bit changed, double points will be awarded for a knock down, one punch to the head will be allowed in a combination etc. the prize for the winner is 30.000 euro.

2. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

This ounds very interesting neryo, do you have any more information on the ruleset?

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

of course, because i am going, i'll post them, don't worry

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

2 names are already known: Mici Kuzmanovic (WTF) - at the moment he is in beijing at the world champs and Zelg Galesic (ITF) - 4. dan, former world and european champ

- full contact is allowed (ITF is semi contact)
    - in case of a knock down you get double points, meaning you hit your opponent in the head and you get 2 points if it is a knock down you get +2, meaning 4. (in ITF a knock down brings negative points)
    - if you punch to the head, then only 1 punch is allowed after which you have to kick or stop your combination. (ITF allows 3 punches to the head after which a kick should follow)
    - fights last 2 x 2 min and the final fight 3 x 2 min
    - the champ gets 30.000 euros.

5. Liam Cullen

Thanks, it certianly sounds interesting :)
    I thought from your first post that the ITF and WTF fighters would be against each other, I'm assuming from the different rules that this isn't the case. So they're will be 2 champions, one WTF and one ITF?

Do you have any ida if this will be broadcast or put on the net?

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

haven't you understood the rules?

they all fight against each other. why would there be 2 champs?????

7. Liam Cullen

When you put the ITF stuff in brackets it was like you were saying those were the rules they were fighting under.

sounded like the WTF guys are allowed to hit full contact, and the ITF semi contact? If they were fighting each other I know who I'd be backing.

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hehehehe noooooooo :D

the brackets are there just to point out the similarities and differences for the ITF guys since WTF is already full contact.

9. Liam Cullen

We're on the same page no I think ;)
    Do you know anything about equipment, I'm guessing it'll be WTF regualtion hogu and all? Certainly does sound interesting. Are you taking members of your club over to fight in the regular competition?

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

few of my students will go there with the national team, but i'll take with me few more students. it's a tournament for cadets, juniors and seniors.

regarding the equipment, i'm not sure at this moment, but i also think that they might wear a hogu, also gloves.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

when i find out more about the equipment, i'll post it.

12. JamesDavis

JamesDavis Valued Member

Zelg Galesic looks a very good fighter. This tournament will be very interesting.

ITF vs WTF - the best fighter will win, the one who can adapt to the situations and the rules.

13. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

While flipping through the channels I keep coming across the World Combat League and I can't help but watch it for a bit. Not too long, however, as my 18 month year old daughter is usually with me and she sees enough martial arts as it is (she already kicks at pads if you hold it up for her. While this is sort of cute I'm worried about her kicking at other kids).

At any rate you see some very interesting things on there. There are a lot of guys from point fighting backgrounds, Olympic TKD, MT, and Boxing. It is interesting to see how they match up. There was a Olympic TKD silver medalist who got knocked out pretty quickly. He was obviously athletic, but he came out with his hands down throwing all sorts of jump spinning kicks. All it took was an overhand right and he was out. Also saw some sort of world champion point fighter (similar to an ITF guy) get knocked out badly. He was winning and then took a spinning backfist and later a overhand superman punch and that was it for him.

Conversely in the same card there was a point fighter who won against his more experienced opponent. The announcers were making a big deal about how this point fighter came in and brought the fight to the more experienced guy.

So it just goes to show you that what you said above is true. Some guys adapt very well and very quickly. Others not so much.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i am really looking forward to watching this tournament. i am also curious about the competitors. a lot of money is involved too.

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Lucky guys. Croatia is lovely.

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

:) yap, definitely is

17. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Does it matter which ITF your in? Or can any BB apply?

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i think that it is 4 WTF vs 4 ITF fighters, as i recall it, it didn't say which. so everyone could apply but on the basis of the success accomplished they will send out 8 invitations, 2 have already been sent, as i already posted. it's an invitational tournament.

19. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Sounds really cool, I might try and get over to watch!!

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it's the same weekend when the A class tournament Croatia Open takes place. is your country going to take part?